Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 01ste02  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2017 09:15:50(UTC)
01ste02

Sweden   
Hello!

I have tried to convert an old marklin 3000 to digital, but with suprising results.

When I program it (using a SPROG 3 as programmmer (and as main control station due to tight budget)) it responds with little "clicks" as I have heard other people say they do when programmed. When I go to read it, it is unable to detect the loco and read ANY cv. At this point I think that I should just go with programming "blind" and try to run it.

As soon as the track power is on (tested and working) and throttle is applied to the correct DCC-address (factory default, 3) the decoder heats up very quickly, but it doesn't move the train. The motor is not stuck, and runs smoothly by hand. There is no voltage across the motor terminals when the throttle is full. It doesn't eaven move in analog DC operation... with the wires coupled directly to the cables of the decoder.

I have wired it like this fella: Pictures
He doesn't seem to have any problems at all...

EDIT: I have now tested the motor by applying voltage across its terminals, and it runs like a charm on even 5 volts.

Can anyone help me?

Best regards,
Oskar
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 03 July 2017 09:41:17(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Oskar,

first of all: try and find a capacitor which goes between the tension spring (soldering)
secondly: you should add 2 diodes on each side of the brushholder.
thirdly: do not use the copper brush on the right hand side, it needs a graphite brush, the same as on the left hand side.
also the resistor should be on the white and yellow wire and not before or between the 2 led's
after this your loco should run without a hitch

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline 01ste02  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2017 09:48:42(UTC)
01ste02

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Oskar,

first of all: try and find a capacitor which goes between the tension spring (soldering)
thirdly: do not use the copper brush on the right hand side, it needs a graphite brush, the same as on the left hand side.
also the resistor should be on the white and yellow wire and not before or between the 2 led's
after this your loco should run without a hitch

regards.,

John

Thanks for your quick answer!

After I ran the motor manually by applying voltage to the two terminals on it, the train now moves back and forth a little when reading and programming it (Read works now!). However the throttle doesn't let me run the train... The decoder just gets hot.

As for the graphite brush: I don't have one and don't know where to buy one more...
I still have the factory capacitor that sits between the tension springs, is that polarised (so that I should take into concideration the direction of currentflow through the motor)?

How should I install the two diodes? Two per side in both directions, totaling four? Two in total, allowing currentflow from the grey wire to the orange or the other way around? Could you send me a picture?

Thanks,
Oskar
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2017 10:05:33(UTC)
H0

Hi!
I assume with "diode" you refer to the chokes that are normally installed there?

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline 01ste02  
#5 Posted : 03 July 2017 10:17:06(UTC)
01ste02

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
I assume with "diode" you refer to the chokes that are normally installed there?

Should I just try to install the cap without caring about direction? And try without the chokes?
Offline 01ste02  
#6 Posted : 03 July 2017 10:53:15(UTC)
01ste02

Sweden   
IT NOW WORKS! Out of nowhere it just started working, but the decoder gets very hot very fast...

Any fix for the temperature issue?
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 03 July 2017 12:52:51(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: 01ste02 Go to Quoted Post
IT NOW WORKS! Out of nowhere it just started working, but the decoder gets very hot very fast...

you shouldn't try to run the loco until you've replaced the copper with a graphite brush, you will either ruin the decoder or the armature, I'm sure there will be someone on this forum near you who can send you a spare one (Webmaster) otherwise you can order it from Märklin direct .
the chokes go either side of the brush holder (1 each)

regards.,

John
Offline 01ste02  
#8 Posted : 03 July 2017 13:07:40(UTC)
01ste02

Sweden   

you shouldn't try to run the loco until you've replaced the copper with a graphite brush, you will either ruin the decoder or the armature, I'm sure there will be someone on this forum near you who can send you a spare one (Webmaster) otherwise you can order it from Märklin direct .
the chokes go either side of the brush holder (1 each)

regards.,

John

So I can skip the capacitor? What is that for?

I found another marklin 3000 in my collections, and I will try to use the graphite from that until I get a hold of a couple of new ones.

Is the choke bi-directional?

EDIT: I just found out that this loco had no choke... the cap and the rest of the things are in a plastic bag, and there is no choke there... My identical loco is missing its choke to (it is not converted). Is the choke vital?

And just to check, I should have two graphite sticks per motor? Just wondering as the decoder still gets hot with the two of them...

Best Regards
Oskar
Offline 01ste02  
#9 Posted : 03 July 2017 13:56:24(UTC)
01ste02

Sweden   
Now it also gets hot with just the track power on, in other words the engine is off. The loco isn't even dialed in for operation. Is that normal?
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 03 July 2017 15:08:09(UTC)
H0

Yes.

And just to check, I should have two graphite sticks per motor?
There should be one copper brush (where the spring is L shaped) and a carbon brush (where the spring is straight).

There should be no capacitor between brush holder and ground.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline 01ste02  
#11 Posted : 03 July 2017 15:21:43(UTC)
01ste02

Sweden   
Yes.

There should be one copper brush (where the spring is L shaped) and a carbon brush (where the spring is straight).

That is what I had before (brushes)... And I have now changed back.

Right now it is wired without any chokes or capacitors. Will that work?

Is it normal that the decoder increases about 15 degrees Celsius after I turn on the track power and creep it forward for about 10 seconds (and idle for approx 4 minutes)?

Thanks!
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 04 July 2017 10:24:09(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Yes.

there should be 2 graphite brushes when you convert a loco to digital.

Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 04 July 2017 10:26:43(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Yes.

That is what I had before (brushes)... And I have now changed back.

Right now it is wired without any chokes or capacitors. Will that work?

Is it normal that the decoder increases about 15 degrees Celsius after I turn on the track power and creep it forward for about 10 seconds (and idle for approx 4 minutes)?

Thanks!

believe me, you need 2 graphite brushes when converting a loco to digital. chokes are not used in analog mode only in digital conversions, capacitor is connected between the 2 brush holders usually on top of the brush plate.

regards.,

John

Offline 01ste02  
#14 Posted : 04 July 2017 10:27:39(UTC)
01ste02

Sweden   
Yes.

Ok, thanks to both of you for answering me!

Due to the conflicting information I would really appreciate it if you would give me a source or deeper explanation.

By the way, the train is running perfectly both with one copper and one graphite as well as two graphites. The only issue that I have right now is that the decoder runs at around 40 degrees celcius after 10 minutes without moving (just the track power on). Is that normal?
Offline 01ste02  
#15 Posted : 04 July 2017 10:38:50(UTC)
01ste02

Sweden   
Is the choke critical? I don't seem to have one for this loco, the only one that I have is in a loco that I am not going to touch (since it is analog and part of a limited edition and could be worth something someday). Can I do this without one? I thought that I shouldn't have one since the manual for the decoder states that they (capacitors and chokes) might disturb the load control and should be removed (page 47, 11.3).

Regards,
Oskar
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 04 July 2017 11:06:06(UTC)
H0

I never heard that - and I never did that when converting a loco with ESU magnet.
Is there any manual that says so?

I thought that I shouldn't have one since the manual for the decoder states that they (capacitors and chokes) might disturb the load control and should be removed (page 47, 11.3).
The manual says to remove them if they disturb.
You can adjust the frequency if they disturb but cannot be removed.

ESU conversion sets with decoder and ESU magnet always include two chokes. The single choke that comes with analogue Märklin locos must be removed AFAIK.

Is the choke critical?
Most likely not. Some say they never install them without any issues.
I hope ESU have a good reason for including them in the packages, so I install them when I have a pair at hand.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline 01ste02  
#17 Posted : 04 July 2017 11:16:21(UTC)
01ste02

Sweden   
Thanks!

I bought three decoders and magnets from different places, but none of them came with chokes! Could there be another reason for why the decoder gets hot without the motor (and therefore the non-existing chokes) not being involved?

Regards,
Oskar
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 04 July 2017 11:23:20(UTC)
H0

The sets 6463x include the chokes:
http://www.esu.eu/en/pro...t/lokpilot-digital-sets/
http://www.esu.eu/en/pro...ilot-digital-sets-21mtc/

You get no chokes when you buy magnet and decoder separately.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#19 Posted : 04 July 2017 15:08:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Thanks!

I bought three decoders and magnets from different places, but none of them came with chokes! Could there be another reason for why the decoder gets hot without the motor (and therefore the non-existing chokes) not being involved?

Regards,
Oskar

Oskar, the answer is no, the decoder shouldn't get hot without the chokes.
your question is a bit vague, does the decoder get hot without turning the loco on ?

the reason a decoder gets hot is for a motor not working properly, your loco has a 3 pole armature, maybe one of the wires is broken, maybe the 3 pole separation points are clogged up., nothing else.

as I've said before unless you've got a lok programmer to test the decoder we don't know if the decoder is ok, most probably the armature is at fault and by adding another carbon brush it may also help.

What is more or less the simplest conversion one can undertake you seem to have hit a stumbling block, the best thing is going back to the start and eliminate certain options. as mentioned in my posts. other wise we are going forward and backwards without getting your loco running again.

Tom, I can't remember where I've read it but it was obvious I've read it somewhere otherwise I wouldn't have changed all my locos to 2 carbon brushes.

regards.,

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline 01ste02  
#20 Posted : 04 July 2017 15:20:50(UTC)
01ste02

Sweden   
Thanks!

Regards,
Oskar

Oskar, the answer is no, the decoder shouldn't get hot without the chokes.
your question is a bit vague, does the decoder get hot without turning the loco on ?

the reason a decoder gets hot is for a motor not working properly, your loco has a 3 pole armature, maybe one of the wires is broken, maybe the 3 pole separation points are clogged up., nothing else.

as I've said before unless you've got a lokprogrammer to test the decoder we don't know if the decoder is ok, most probably the armature is at fault and by adding another graphite brush it may also help.

What is more or less the simplest conversion one can undertake you seem to have hit a stumbling block, the best thing is going back to the start and eliminate certain options. as mentioned in my posts. other wise we are going forward and backwards without getting your loco running again.

Tom, I can't remember where I've read it but it was obvious I've read it somewhere otherwise I wouldn't have changed all my locos to 2 graphite brushes.

regards.,

John

The loco works now, it doesn't seem to get hotter than 45 degrees celcius... I will take it out for a spin as soon as I get my new control computer hooked up to the layout and see.

I just turn on the power, dial the loco into the JMRI throttle, and let it sit. It has now sat with the power on for about three hours (I forgot to turn it off) and it is still not hotter than 45 degrees celcius.

Thanks for all the replies!

PS. When I run the motor at full speed it begins to smell like burning engine oil (it was like that before the conversion too...). Could that be the clogging that you mentioned? The loco has been stationary for approx 25 years, used for a year on and off (no longer than 20 hours, tops), stationary for two more years, and now here we are. Couldn't that lead to the oil clogging up?

Offline river6109  
#21 Posted : 04 July 2017 15:42:55(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Oskar, when converting a loco to digital it is always recommended you clean the motor thoroughly, inspect the armature, cogwheels and especially dirt which most probably has accumulated over the years.

I've never taken the temperature (I'm not a doctor) BigGrin , but I find it hot , mind you they tell you a decoder will heat up but to what temperature is unclear to me.
I'll find out on the ESU forum website and see what the comment is.

regards.,

John
Offline 01ste02  
#22 Posted : 04 July 2017 17:10:28(UTC)
01ste02

Sweden   
Oskar, when converting a loco to digital it is always recommended you clean the motor thoroughly, inspect the armature, cogwheels and especially dirt which most probably has accumulated over the years.

I've never taken the temperature (I'm not a doctor) BigGrin , but I find it hot , mind you they tell you a decoder will heat up but to what temperature is unclear to me.
I'll find out on the ESU forum website and see what the comment is.

regards.,

John

Could anyone do me a favor and measure the temperature of a esu lokpilot v4 (or similar) and tell me how how it gets after a couple of minutes of slow operation (continuous)? Mine seems to get up to about 55 degrees (with a room temp of 28-30 degrees)...
Offline scraigen  
#23 Posted : 04 July 2017 22:09:33(UTC)
scraigen

Just checked as commented in your other post, but no significant difference in temperature was experienced.

You said earlier in the thread that it got hot when not moving, that is clearly not right. Try disconnecting the lights see if that helps, otherwise disconnect the motor completely so just the decoder is powered on. If it still gets hot when motor is not connected then the problem is probably somewhere else and not the motor. Is the covering on the decoder intact? No part of the decoder edges or where the wires join are rubbing on the metal bodywork? None of the wires as they leave the decoder (or anywhere else) are contorted such that the connections might bridge each other? There is no pinching of the wires that might have cut or damaged the cable?

I converted a logo early last month and every time I put the loco body on it would short out, turns out the loco boiler being metal was pressing against one of the chokes connected to the motor, so cover off it worked, cover on it didn't, caused me some head scratching as the problem wasn't immediately obvious.

I converted my 3000 just the other day but that was with Marklin 60760, however the Lokpilot v4 does appear to be vastly superior.

Hope you find out what the issue is, when you do please let us know.

Stu
Must build something
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by scraigen
Offline 01ste02  
#24 Posted : 04 July 2017 22:19:56(UTC)
01ste02

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: scraigen Go to Quoted Post
Just checked as commented in your other post, but no significant difference in temperature was experienced.

You said earlier in the thread that it got hot when not moving, that is clearly not right. Try disconnecting the lights see if that helps, otherwise disconnect the motor completely so just the decoder is powered on. If it still gets hot when motor is not connected then the problem is probably somewhere else and not the motor. Is the covering on the decoder intact? No part of the decoder edges or where the wires join are rubbing on the metal bodywork? None of the wires as they leave the decoder (or anywhere else) are contorted such that the connections might bridge each other? There is no pinching of the wires that might have cut or damaged the cable?

I converted a logo early last month and every time I put the loco body on it would short out, turns out the loco boiler being metal was pressing against one of the chokes connected to the motor, so cover off it worked, cover on it didn't, caused me some head scratching as the problem wasn't immediately obvious.

I converted my 3000 just the other day but that was with Marklin 60760, however the Lokpilot v4 does appear to be vastly superior.

Hope you find out what the issue is, when you do please let us know.

Stu

Thanks for your answer!

I don't have any lights connected, or anything else for that matter (as this is my first conversion, and I did a test on the motor before I install the leds). At the moment the housing isn't even on. I have the wires taped with electrical tape in the ends (individually) to avoid shorts while testing. Now it seems like it just gets about 10 degrees celcius hotter than room temperature when powered on, and not much hotter that that despite running on a circular track on full speed for ten minutes.

To conclude, I think that it is fixed now. I don't know what fixed it or how I did it, but it works now. So I am not going to touch the motor part out of fear of destroying it again Blushing .

If it stops working again I will post here, so thanks for all your answers!

@scraigen Just out of curiosity and due to some debate here, do you think that I should have two graphite brushes in the motor or one graphite and one copper?

Thanks!
Offline scraigen  
#25 Posted : 04 July 2017 22:41:01(UTC)
scraigen

I don't really understand the difference it makes, having two carbon brushes or not. Personally I doubt it would make such a huge difference to the temperature of the decoder if the those brushes were in reasonable condition.However it would appear that conversion kits etc prefer two carbon ones so it'd go with the advice that two carbon ones are better.

I'd really like to know the reason though rather than just be told it's the right thing. The copper ones also seemed a bit naff though as they lose their shape quite easily - is it that simple? I doubt it. Does anyone know why two carbons are better than one for digital conversions?
Must build something
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by scraigen
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 04 July 2017 22:55:56(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: scraigen Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know why two carbons are better than one for digital conversions?
Before asking "why" I would ask "if" that is better.

With analogue operation we have DCM with two carbon brushes and FCM with carbon/copper brushes. Why? I don't know.
Digital locos normally have DCM with two carbon brushes.

Maybe having one copper brush is better as it cleans the carbon dust away.

You can make those locos slower if you replace the copper brush with a carbon brush.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#27 Posted : 05 July 2017 06:07:59(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
found out on the ESU forum, the decoders sometimes get even hotter than 45° C under load

regards.,

John
Offline Goofy  
#28 Posted : 05 July 2017 09:51:30(UTC)
Goofy

found out on the ESU forum, the decoders sometimes get even hotter than 45° C under load

regards.,

John

Too weak decoder makes easy hot when motor is too big.
I recommended 1 amps for the scale H0.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline 01ste02  
#29 Posted : 05 July 2017 11:16:25(UTC)
01ste02

Sweden   

regards.,

John

Thanks John! I really appreciate you asking and helping me so much!

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

regards.,

John

Too weak decoder makes easy hot when motor is too big.
I recommended 1 amps for the scale H0.

This motor does not use more than one amp, as the current draw measured by a multimeter is not more than half an amp, with my hand pressing down the loco to create a load. Thanks tho.

Regards,
Oskar