Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2017 23:16:25(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Traded for a 2 loco set, Marklin 37726. Comes with a BR 212 and 213. Both have factory installed MFX decoders. Both registered just fine on my MS2 and run good. But how do I "consist" them together so I can run them as a team? That was my plan to keep them paired together. I cannot find anything in the MS2 instructions( big suprise there I know!). So how do I do this with just the MS2? Thanks Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 01 July 2017 00:10:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I don't think that's possible Mike. I believe you can create a consist in the Central Stations but not on the mobile stations.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline artfull dodger  
#3 Posted : 01 July 2017 01:42:05(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
The manual that came with the pair says to assign them the same address. Could I manually enter them into the MS2 instead of letting them automaticly register or is that not possible as well. By the looks of the manual, they came out during the transition to the MS1 and the 6021 older digital control panels. The CS isn't listed or discussed in the manual. Only the older base station and the early mobile station. Mike
Offline franciscohg  
#4 Posted : 01 July 2017 03:50:25(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi, usually it is not possible to disable mfx on factory marklin deciders, thus they will register individually. You can try by disabling mfx protocol on the MS2 and then enter them manually as MM2 and set the same adress. With the CS2 you can easily create consists, i dont know about CS1.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline baggio  
#5 Posted : 01 July 2017 22:05:33(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I tried changing the address on one MFX loco to match the address of another MFX loco, but this did not result in both locos responding when one loco was given instructions.

How does one DISABLE the MFX signal, Francisco?

Thanks.

Silvano

P.S. HAPPY CANADA DAY, EVERYBODY!! BigGrin ThumpUp
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 01 July 2017 22:07:20(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
How does one DISABLE the MFX signal, Francisco?
In the track protocol menu, select an entry that does not contain "mfx".

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
I tried changing the address on one MFX loco to match the address of another MFX loco, but this did not result in both locos responding when one loco was given instructions.
You changed the MM address, not the mfx address.
The locos still had two different mfx addresses.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline artfull dodger  
#7 Posted : 02 July 2017 00:31:00(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Gonna have to start watching for a CS that is affordable. Even the CS2 is a chunk to afford second hand. Haven't seen a CS1 complete for sale to get a price on it, along with whether it can consist two or more loks together. Mike
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 02 July 2017 08:25:11(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: artfull dodger Go to Quoted Post
Haven't seen a CS1 complete for sale to get a price on it
The CS1 can be found with software 1.x, software 2.x, or software 3.x or higher.

Avoid those with version 1.x. Those with version 2.x don't have all the features one would like, but are somewhat useful.
Those with version 3.x or version 4.x are an ECoS with a Märklin label and are up to the level.

Version 2.x and higher supports consists - not sure about version 1.x.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Joe Meiring  
#9 Posted : 03 July 2017 16:46:38(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I don't think that's possible Mike. I believe you can create a consist in the Central Stations but not on the mobile stations.[/quote
thats right .... my friend Terry does this regularly with his ECOS Command station, awesome to watchLove

Joe
Medium digital C track layout with MS2: When I grow up I want to be a steam engine driver....
Offline sjbartels  
#10 Posted : 03 July 2017 17:52:46(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: artfull dodger Go to Quoted Post
Gonna have to start watching for a CS that is affordable. Even the CS2 is a chunk to afford second hand. Haven't seen a CS1 complete for sale to get a price on it, along with whether it can consist two or more loks together. Mike

I'd wait just a little bit longer, as they figure out more of the bugs in CS3, people like me who are either holding onto their CS2's (or those with a CS3 that kept there CS2) will be more likely to part with them, so the value of CS1 will sharply drop and CS2 will become cheaper. Right now with many people holding onto their CS2's, the market hasn't really shifted and so they are still pricier on the resale end than what would normally be following the release of the new model.
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline xxup  
#11 Posted : 03 July 2017 22:13:22(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Even if you can set the same address they are unlikely to have the same running characteristic.. Even two identical locos can have a slightly different speed at the same throttle setting.. When this happens the usual trick is to place the fast one behind the slower one, but that is not useful when you want to change direction with the consist.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline artfull dodger  
#12 Posted : 03 July 2017 22:19:48(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I do have a line on a CS2 that will be available in a few months, which works good for me as I will be more in a place $$ wise to afford to buy it. That said, I am looking to swap the two DB diesels for something Swiss as I am trying to go that route prototype wise. The shop just owed me money so I picked out what I could find in that amount. There is a post to that effect in the for sale area. Thanks Mike
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 03 July 2017 23:14:05(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
When this happens the usual trick is to place the fast one behind the slower one
The usual trick is to have the slower loco behind the faster loco. This way the faster loco will help the slower loco.
Reducing the load regulation in the decoder can help (but for mfx decoders this is beyond the scope of the MS2).

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline artfull dodger  
#14 Posted : 03 July 2017 23:54:36(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Usually if they are fairly close in speed, they will even out when under a load pulling the train. On the big HO club layout where I used to belong it was common to see 4-6 locomotives on the front of long coal trains. So speed/brand matching was common here as well. Get the speeds close enough and they will be ok. In the digital world, you can play around with some of the CV's to help match speeds better on brands that normally would not be able to run together. Mike
Offline xxup  
#15 Posted : 04 July 2017 03:51:30(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
When this happens the usual trick is to place the fast one behind the slower one
The usual trick is to have the slower loco behind the faster loco. This way the faster loco will help the slower loco...).

I tried this years ago, but the faster loco pulled the coupler from the socket of the slower loco.. From memory they were two RE460s, but one was C-Sine and the other was a DCM - they were both MM with the same address ( I had a Intellibox in those days).. I assumed, incorrectly it seems, that I had the "trick" back the front, which is why I had more success with the faster one behind.. I guess they were just too different.. Confused After that experience I left the whole consist thing alone until very recently.

Nowadays, it does not matter as the WinDigiPet calibrated locos all run very close to the same speed (but different throttle positions) as long as the track is clean - one stumble from a loco and you have a mess.. LOL The problem is that it takes an hour to calibrate each loco, and as they get older they really should be recalibrated..Blink
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 04 July 2017 07:47:39(UTC)
H0

From memory they were two RE460s, but one was C-Sine and the other was a DCM - they were both MM with the same address ( I had a Intellibox in those days).. I assumed, incorrectly it seems, that I had the "trick" back the front, which is why I had more success with the faster one behind.. I guess they were just too different.. Confused
Bad combination: the DCM loco has a linear speed curve, the C Sine loco has a progressive speed curve. You can never match those two locos.

And with mouse-piano decoders you cannot reduce the load regulation. For double-headings the load regulation can be a problem. Often the traction tyres come loose or get lost. In your case the coupler was the weakest link of the chain.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#17 Posted : 04 July 2017 08:03:26(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
..In your case the coupler was the weakest link of the chain.

And a good thing too.. Smile

Adrian
UserPostedImage