Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Wikkedy86  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2017 21:58:24(UTC)
Wikkedy86

Denmark   
Hi guys..

Im about to invest some cash in new loco's.

Had alot of analog years ago, but all have been sold and want to make a fresh start with the digital world.
And i still want to focus on 3rail :)

But then i am reading some issues about Marklin not delivering a good enough quality, Roco having trouble making money and so on, and so on...
Whats up with all that?

I am aiming for a mixed german era.
Big steamers, Diesel like the 210, 216 and 218 engines, and some modern electric powerhouses.
I really like the 210 and 218 class of diesel engines from Marklin. Really HEAVY build and very powerfull. Great details.
But i am a bit afraid of buying engines from 2010-2012 as i have heard rumors a Zink plague and faulty mechanics.

Where do i get the best build and running quality of each class, and the best details?
Best Regards
Frank
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 30 June 2017 23:11:33(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Don't listen to any of those horror stories. I have many locomotives from the last 20 or so years and they are as good as the ones from 50 or so years ago.

Newer locos have better detailing and accuracy and the digital functions are great. The complexity means that there is more of a chance of failure and the loco will be a bit more fragile, but with due care and attention they should last as long as the previous generation.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline artfull dodger  
#3 Posted : 01 July 2017 02:41:43(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Ray, I also come from the Analog world of Marklin and other brands of trains. I have dabbled with digital in the past but stuck with analog on my past little portable layout. But this time around I am going digital The ease of wiring, not needing to "block" engine storage tracks to be able to park engines and the fun of sound in a couple models. Nothing I have engine wise has sound yet, but I will be getting one soon that does. So far I have my little BR24 from my branchline starter set, its the new version of the classic little 2-6-0, really runs nice once run in a bit(was a little stiff at first). Mine is the non sound version but has the MFX decoder in it. Then I just traded some analog stuff and other non Marklin stuff for a pair of diesels, a 212 and 213 that came as a double engine set. Both have MFX decoders from the factory. Its so nice to just set each one on the track, one at a time, and have them auto register with my mobile station 2! I also have a BR216 that someone is sending me to add to my stable. I also have a BR86 but its off to a repair center with a decoder problem(keeps frying them). I bought it cheap as a problem child and am letting a Marklin repair center get her back up to snuff. I love the new C track over the older tinplate M track. Its wonderful not to have to wire each turnout back to the control panel, or even have a control panel. Just install a switch motor and decoder in each turnout and control them right from my mobile station. If I had a larger layout, a central station would be much easier for turnout control, but mine is only 4'x8'. I can highly recommend the newer engines. If you have doubts about a certian model or if it has known issues, do a search here or just post up what your considering. Only ones I know to stay away from is the Seetal kroc during a certain time frame as the frame has issues with zinc pest. I believe this was around the time that Marklin was in trouble and prior to new owners taking control. So quality control at the plant in China was probably not the best at that time Some models are made in Hungry, some in China like my little BR24. But I can say it runs like a fine Marklin should. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline sudibarba  
#4 Posted : 01 July 2017 04:39:06(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
Buy older loks on ebay and convert them with ESU decoders and magnets. You will be in control.
They smell great when running and you can fix them if they fail. Even though I have converted to C Track
and CS2 (soon to CS3) I still think I prefer M Track and toggle switches to control turn outs. Everything on one
controller seems to be too tight. If you have a small layout fine but then, you are over doing it in my mind.
Down south in the USA we have a saying - "No sense in hauling pigs to market in a Cadillac."
Eric
Offline artfull dodger  
#5 Posted : 01 July 2017 04:45:19(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I need to start looking for an affordable second hand CS2 so I can set up consists. One thing you cannot do with just the MS2. And he is right, any older M lok can be upgraded to digital control. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 01 July 2017 09:04:20(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Wikkedy86 Go to Quoted Post
But i am a bit afraid of buying engines from 2010-2012 as i have heard rumors a Zink plague and faulty mechanics.
AFAIK the zinkpest items came around 2001. That's not a rumour.
Some folks are unhappy with the three-pole motors Märklin used for a while - others say those motors are good enough for them ("If it is good enough for Märklin, it is good enough for me").
Some locos have plastic cog-wheels that will break easily.

The vast majority of items will be OK. If in doubt, ask questions about a specific model before placing an order.

Märklin 48450:
UserPostedImage
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0