Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 28 June 2017 02:39:40(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I want to set the area of my layout where the class 24's lived most of thier life. From my research so far, they were for the long flat lines in West and East Prussia. So I want the depot to be something that looks correct for that area or is correct if a model is offered by someone. I am also guessing that one of the class 38's would be a good stable mate being a Prussian design originally, or maybe a class 64. Are there any good books, even if in German, that cover this specific area of the DB during Era 3? Thanks Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 28 June 2017 04:46:22(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Well if you are looking to model era3 DB then that does not include Prussia anymore.

I have several german train books but only one has a single photo of a BR24 - I will scan it and post here tomorrow.

Before the war they were used all over Germany but then mostly moved to during the war to Prussia due to low axle load and large supply (coal/water)

As for where they were posted in West Germany after the war, I have found this information:
https://www.drehscheibe-...ren/read.php?017,4239718

So after 1945, 6 locomotives of the BR 24 (025, 026, 029, 060, 061, 062) remained in the RBD Karlsruhe (previously owned by the RBD Stuttgart). Of these, 24,062 were already sampled at Bw Tubingen in November 1945.
The others were partially parked, partly in the enterprise in the Bw Tubingen, Freudenstadt, Villingen, Rottweil, until they were delivered to the RBD Hamburg at the beginning of June 1946.

In 1945, the RBD Kassel was able to prove 9 locomotives of the BR 24, all of which were placed at Z-Bw Treysa on Z-24 006, 054, 064, 065, 066, 067, 068, 069, 070. They all came in March and June 1949 For reprocessing and then in other Bw.

In the RBD Regensburg two locomotives of the BR 24 (035 and 038), left in the Bf Neufahrn. They were released for disposal at the disposal of the PDB of 20.09.1948.

To the RBD Stuttgart 24 years see above at RBD Karlsruhe.

In 1945 the RBD Wuppertal took over the Bw Scherfede from the RBD Kassel and with it the 24 055, which was defected there and in 1949 to the RBD Cologne was delivered.

Operations of the locomotive in addition then took place only in the directories Cologne, Essen, Münster, Hamburg and to a very small extent in the direction Hanover. The focus here is clearly on Hamburg and Münster and, to a lesser extent, on Cologne.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline artfull dodger  
#3 Posted : 28 June 2017 06:11:36(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
If a makes a difference, mine is 24 014, the version without sound. I also have a class 86 167 if I can get a new decoder for it and the engine doesn't blow up a 3rd decoder(I think I have that solved). I plan to get a 3rd engine then concentrate on freight wagons and buildings. I want to start looking, first for the station. I was going by what I read online that the class 24's were kept mostly on the flat land branch lines but I am guessing one could see them in many places. With my small 4' by 8' table. A branch line fits my space better than trying to model the double track main lines. But not knowing where to look book or video wise, that is where I need my help from those that know the German railways better than I do. Thanks Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline applor  
#4 Posted : 29 June 2017 01:48:38(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: artfull dodger Go to Quoted Post
If a makes a difference, mine is 24 014, the version without sound. I also have a class 86 167 if I can get a new decoder for it and the engine doesn't blow up a 3rd decoder(I think I have that solved). I plan to get a 3rd engine then concentrate on freight wagons and buildings. I want to start looking, first for the station. I was going by what I read online that the class 24's were kept mostly on the flat land branch lines but I am guessing one could see them in many places. With my small 4' by 8' table. A branch line fits my space better than trying to model the double track main lines. But not knowing where to look book or video wise, that is where I need my help from those that know the German railways better than I do. Thanks Mike

Well all the Marklin BR24's in DB livery are from era3b with the DB cookie and triple lights.
Looking at the photo below, this is the same time frame and shows the BR24 stationed in Rahden.
If you plan to model Rahden, then the BR56.2-8 (Prussian G8) was also stationed there and the Franco-Crosti 50.40.
https://www.drehscheibe-...php?017,8073386,page=all

It all depends on how accurate and realistic you want to model that particular scene.
You could for example look for photos of Rahden and find the station and the BW layout etc. and look for similar/appropriate models.
If you want to be more flexible, I would consider the BR 86 and 64 would not look out of place if you wanted to use those models.

BR24.jpg
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by applor