Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Giles  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2017 14:27:48(UTC)
Giles

United States   
Day one for me on the forum. I have limited{no, very limited} knowledge of the digital world. I have a partially defunct control box{60112,60113?}. My 36va transformer puts out 17+ volts. My control box powers my mobile controller so that all functions appear to work on the screen. I get fluctuating 8volts or so at the output of the controller, and not enough power to track to even light the lamps on the layout. I bypassed red and brown wires leading to track. It is not the wires. Before it "died" it would occasionally cut out and then reset. Upon reading did I screw up? I have 8 #5105 tracks with caps. still installed. Please help an old man.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Giles
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2017 17:00:07(UTC)
H0

Hi,
Welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted by: Giles Go to Quoted Post
I get fluctuating 8volts or so at the output of the controller
Most likely your voltmeter is not appropriate for digital track current. Ignore the 8 V reading.
The MS2 has information screens that show voltage and track current. Which readings do you get there?

Originally Posted by: Giles Go to Quoted Post
I have 8 #5105 tracks with caps. still installed.
Capacitors in feeder wires have to be removed. And most likely the capacitors in the #5105 also have to go.
Those capacitors will probably cause an overload situation for the track box and the red STOP light on the MS2 will turn on.

Power for the lights on the layout should still come from a separate transformer using brown and yellow.
Power for the track box (60112 or 60113) should come from a dedicated power supply that only feeds the track box and nothing else.
And make sure you never have a connection between yellow and red as this will most likely fry the track box.

Do you have spare tracks for testing the digital controller disconnected from your layout?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Giles  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2017 20:16:27(UTC)
Giles

United States   
Boy am I ever internet challened! This is my third attempt. The replies get shorter and shorter. Mobile Station reads VOLTS 18.2, MAIN 0.0 amps, regardless of cycling Stop button. I do have extra track. Thank you for trying to help.