Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2017 03:19:10(UTC)
Harvey

United States   

I have purchased an L88 (60883) and several 60881s. I set up as follows:
2 60881s attached to Bus 1 and 2 60881s attached to bus 2
The L88 is connected to a CS2 - 60214

On the memory screen, I use A and B for Bus 0 (total of 16 connections), C and D for Bus 1, first 60881 and I and J for the Bus 2 second 60881. I have only connected a few sensors for testing. I am using reed switches as sensors. The sensors connected so far instruct turn out tracks to switch positions (those operated by Bus 0 and 1) and change signal settings (Bus 2).

I set up the L88 as per instructions - setting the Link S88 #17 on the CS screen but not changing any of the factory settings. I set the length of each bus to 2. For the 6 sensors connected the addresses used for Bus 1 are 2001 and 2002 (this is the first S88 on bus 1) and Bus 1 are 1017 and 1018 (this is the second S88 on Bus 2). For Bus 0 the address are 1 and 2. I set the power switch to 12V as I am not using the older 60880s. My power supply is the 66365. One reed wires run to a distribution slip and onto the ground return and the other reed wire runs to the L88 or S88 respective numbered connection. In setting the Memory for each connection, I followed the instructions on page 19 of the L88. That is, I selected Advance Settings and selected 17. Not sure if the loc symbol has any meaning but I tried with setting it to the left and right. I set the address as noted above.

Everything works when I execute from the memory screen. But, when I run a car with a Marklin magnet over each reed, nothing works.

Possibilities
- I set something up incorrectly. The L88 is connected to the 9 pin plug on the CS2 and is tightly connected to the L88. So, that should be correct.
- The power supply is not working. How do I test that? I have a standard volt/amp reader but unsure how to test?
- The L88 is not working. Unlike the M84, there is no light to indicate it is working. How can I test if it is receiving a signal?

Appreciate any suggestions for me to test.

Regards
Harvey
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2017 06:12:13(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Harvey Go to Quoted Post
For the 6 sensors connected the addresses used for Bus 1 are 2001 and 2002 (this is the first S88 on bus 1) and Bus 1 are 1017 and 1018 (this is the second S88 on Bus 2). For Bus 0 the address are 1 and 2.

This may be a typo, but "Bus 1" addresses are inherently 1xxx (range 1001 to 1512) and "Bus 2" addresses are inherently 2xxx (range 2001 to 2512)

and presuming your L88 itself is not in matrix mode, then the 16 ports are address 1 to 16

Quote:
One reed wires run to a distribution slip and onto the ground return ...

I hope you mean the "ground return" on the L88/S88

if you are using the Brown of a track, then you need to provide a jumper from the Brown to the L88/S88 return port

Quote:
In setting the Memory for each connection, I followed the instructions on page 19 of the L88.
That is, I selected Advance Settings and selected 17.

17 by itself ??
Did you
- "Select a registered device" ..... your L88 #17
AND
- "Enter Contact Address"

COMMENT: I have sometimes found that you have to select the device (with a low contact address) and save.
Then go back in and set the contact address.
The symptom for this occurs if you enter a number greater than 1024 immediately (e.g. your 2017). When saving from the advanced screen the number reverts to 1024.

Quote:
Not sure if the loc symbol has any meaning but I tried with setting it to the left and right.

The meaning is "train arriving" = sensor from OFF to ON OR "train departing" = sensor from ON to OFF

Quote:
Everything works when I execute from the memory screen.

a) as per comment above, just double check that the values stuck correctly
b) on the Memory tab, each row of 8 routes has a button at the far right that needs to be set to show "Loco AND hand" (Hand only means ignore sensor activation)
c) prior to doing ANY or the memory setup, I would suggest setting up a Layout screen full of sensor dots (with names next to them) to use as debug and confidence/sanity checking.
If these dots do not work before playing with routes - they ain't going to work after
d) do not assume that your CS2 will remember the number of devices per bus of your L88. If the L88 is not powered up before the CS checks it is there - it may forget/reset the settings
ALSO. if you have an abend (black screen reboot) when setting up memory routes - it is worth rechecking.

Quote:
Possibilities
- I set something up incorrectly. The L88 is connected to the 9 pin plug on the CS2 and is tightly connected to the L88. So, that should be correct.

I HOPE NOT, the l88 plug has 7 pins.
You may plug it into the booster port labled 6017

Quote:
- The power supply is not working. How do I test that? I have a standard volt/amp reader but unsure how to test?
- The L88 is not working. Unlike the M84, there is no light to indicate it is working. How can I test if it is receiving a signal?

See comment "c)" above about setting up a layout panel full of dots

Closing recommendation.
- because of d) above, I am in the habit of hardwiring the first port of every S88/L88 to ground.
- in combination with a set area on the layout screen that represents this "state of the nation" (in your scenario this would be 5 ports sacrificed (or "invested") for the purpose of peace of mind"

This itself is not full proof - but if any of the dots is not yellow then you need to sort out
- power
- cables
- CS2->l88 bus count definition.
- reboot cleanly with all the above intact
Peter
Offline Harvey  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2017 02:58:40(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Peter,

Thank you for all the suggestions.

While I have not changed anything as of yet, 3 of the reeds (out of 6) are now working. Strange that I did not change anything but stranger things have happened. I do have some questions on some of your suggestions.
But first my corrections to what I wrote:
Bus 1 addresses are 1017 and 1018 and these two are working (changing the switching track)
Bus 2 addresses are 2001 and 2002. Only 2001 is working (changing a signal)
Bus 0 addresses are 1 and 2. Neither is working
The set up is L88#17
I have set the right most symbol on the memory tab to Loc and hand.

The addresses I first set have remained, no unexpected changes.

Given the mixed success I will now change the wiring (some runs are long) and then change the reeds. But first my other questions

Still not sure what that loc sybmol means - what functionality does it serve. Does it need to be set for the S88 to work?
The L88 wire to the CS2 has 9 pins. I have this plugged into the port with the rectangle symbol with the inward arrow. The 60173 port has can receive 7 pins
I run 1 reed wire to the distribution strip and then onto the ground on the L88 or S88. I use one of the inverted T's as the ground connection.
I am not sure what you mean - that you hardwire the first port of every S88/L88 to the ground. Does this mean you run a wire from connection #1 to the inverted T on each devise? What is the purpose of this?
And last, what is meant by "dots is not yellow"

Appreciate your help

Regards
Harvey

Offline Johnvr  
#4 Posted : 21 June 2017 08:49:39(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hello Harvey,

I shall show you what I have done and I hope to make life easier for you :

Create a LAYOUT of your s88 modules on your Central Station.
I have 3 x s88 and each has 16 inputs. I am using 60883 and two 60881 connected to Bus 2 of the 60883.
When the reed circuit/circuit track is activated, the dot will show up as YELLOW on the layout plan.
Then you will know whether the reed circuit/circuit track is being activated by a locomotive.
Test all of your reed switches/circuit tracks to ensure that they are registering the yellow dots.

IMG_3813.JPGIMG_3814.JPG

Draw up a sheet of paper with the numbers which correspond to the inputs. You will find this handy later on.
Here is a picture of my High-Tech sheet of paper :

IMG_3815.JPG

On your MEMORY, make sure that the hand and the loco are both shown on the right hand side of the row of the route which you are using.
If the loco is not shown in the diagram, then the memory route will not be activated by the loco.
The hand will indicate that you can activate this route manually.
You can of course test the route by clicking on the route icon, to test whether your route does what you want it to do.

IMG_3818.JPG

In the Advanced Settings tab, select the number from the table sheet of paper which corresponds to the switch.
Make sure that the Loco is moved to the right hand side of the box so that the loco will activate the route.

IMG_3817.JPG

All should be working !

Regards,BigGrin
John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 21 June 2017 11:04:51(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Bus 0 addresses are 1 and 2. Neither is working

The addresses I first set have remained, no unexpected changes.

Please check the L88 setup for ports 1-16 is "Einzeln" and not "Matrix"

Test by putting a jumper wire directly between the upside down "T" and the port
By test I mean use a sensor on your Layout board.
Quote:

Still not sure what that loc sybmol means - what functionality does it serve. Does it need to be set for the S88 to work?

Are you referring to bottom half of the Advanced (Ext) section when setting up a memory route?

If so this is for "optional conditioning" of the trigger.
e.g. when the main sensor triggers the start of the route, the first thing it does is check that all conditions are met and will only run the memory sequence if they are.
As long as the left field of each line is empty/blank you have no conditions stopping the sequence.

The REALLY annoying thing is that Marklin insist on placing two blank conditions on the screen - presumably this is an aid to get you started.
Totally unnecessary otherwise as you can press the "+" to add multiple conditions

IF you are using a condition then the Loco sympol indicated the condition must be active to match, whereas the Track image (loco absent) meanse that the sensor must not be active for the condition to match

Quote:
The L88 wire to the CS2 has 9 pins. I have this plugged into the port with the rectangle symbol with the inward arrow.

I continue to challenge this - assuming we are talking about a Marklin 60883
Quote:
And last, what is meant by "dots is not yellow"

If you have set up a sensor on your Layout page, it will show yellow when the sensor is active and white when it is not.

Peter
Offline Harvey  
#6 Posted : 22 June 2017 02:28:22(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
John, Peter

Will be working on this further in next few days. Appreciate the advice.

Peter, regarding the cable from the L88 to the CS2, this is hard wired (attached to the L88) and so the end going to the CS2 is what Marklin attached. It has 9 pins. The RJ45 cable, connecting L88 to S88 has 7 pins (per the instruction manual). Does this explain our different count?

Also, just follow up on my prior question:
I am not sure what you mean - that you hardwire the first port of every S88/L88 to the ground. Does this mean you run a wire from connection #1 to the inverted T on each devise? What is the purpose of this?

Peter, John Thanks for the help.

Regards
Harvey
Offline Harvey  
#7 Posted : 23 June 2017 23:28:14(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Peter

I discovered the cause of our difference in pin counts. My error. I forgot that I plugged the L88 into a 60125 terminal. So the L88 7 pin connects to the terminal and the terminal 9 pin connects to the CS2.

Making some progress with the reed connections but still some problems. Thanks again for the help.

Regards
Harvey
Offline Harvey  
#8 Posted : 02 July 2017 19:20:23(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Peter, John

I got everything to work.

My problems were a combination of not following all instructions exactly and maybe the documentation from Marlklin not being complete. So, shared.

One remaining question relates to what Peter had suggested (my understanding) is whether there is a purpose for connecting S88 input 1 to the inverted T (ground). I have not done this.

One instruction I don't see in the instruction manual or CS2 book is clicking on the ERW bottom at the bottom of the screen and removing, at the bottom the second Master-CS2 row. Not sure if this is needed to be done or what the purpose of those two rows are. I believe, when removed, I only need to tap on the reed symbol once (on the layout screen) - so I think.

I have now set up 20 reeds and two signals and all are working from the layout screen, memory screen and with magnets passing over the reeds.

Thanks again for the help.

Regards
Harvey
Offline TEEWolf  
#9 Posted : 03 July 2017 03:25:39(UTC)
TEEWolf

On the memory screen, I use A and B for Bus 0 (total of 16 connections), C and D for Bus 1, first 60881 and I and J for the Bus 2 second 60881. I have only connected a few sensors for testing. I am using reed switches as sensors. The sensors connected so far instruct turn out tracks to switch positions (those operated by Bus 0 and 1) and change signal settings (Bus 2).

I set up the L88 as per instructions - setting the Link S88 #17 on the CS screen but not changing any of the factory settings. I set the length of each bus to 2. For the 6 sensors connected the addresses used for Bus 1 are 2001 and 2002 (this is the first S88 on bus 1) and Bus 1 are 1017 and 1018 (this is the second S88 on Bus 2). For Bus 0 the address are 1 and 2. I set the power switch to 12V as I am not using the older 60880s. My power supply is the 66365. One reed wires run to a distribution slip and onto the ground return and the other reed wire runs to the L88 or S88 respective numbered connection. In setting the Memory for each connection, I followed the instructions on page 19 of the L88. That is, I selected Advance Settings and selected 17. Not sure if the loc symbol has any meaning but I tried with setting it to the left and right. I set the address as noted above.

Everything works when I execute from the memory screen. But, when I run a car with a Marklin magnet over each reed, nothing works.

Possibilities

Regards
Harvey

Hi Harvey,

just found on Maerklin's homepage an information about the feedback system S 88. It has the title: "Frequently Asked Questions about building a feedback system".

https://www.maerklin.de/...gitalbuch-cs3/downloads/

https://www.maerklin.de/...fragen/maerklin-digital/

look for the Technik-Tipp 322 under the headline "Was ist der Unterschied zwischen den verschiedenen Rückmeldemodulen s88?" (what is the difference between the various feedback modules S 88).

Of course and unfortunately they are not in English. But perhaps they may help you too.

Regards

TEEWolf
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 03 July 2017 04:39:40(UTC)
TEEWolf

Possibilities

Regards
Harvey

Hi Harvey,

just found on Maerklin's homepage an information about the feedback system S 88. It has the title: "Frequently Asked Questions about building a feedback system".

https://www.maerklin.de/...gitalbuch-cs3/downloads/

https://www.maerklin.de/...fragen/maerklin-digital/

look for the Technik-Tipp 322 under the headline "Was ist der Unterschied zwischen den verschiedenen Rückmeldemodulen s88?" (what is the difference between the various feedback modules S 88).

Of course and unfortunately they are not in English. But perhaps they may help you too.

Regards

TEEWolf
Offline amfisher102  
#11 Posted : 05 December 2017 03:17:06(UTC)
amfisher102

United States   
Problem with the S88 ( 60881)

1) CS 2 with connected 60883 --all 16 contact tracks register and work properly
2) Cannot properly connect with the 60881 connected to Bus # 2 side of L88 ....and cannot set the correct address for each contact track, # 17 and above.

Contact tracks ( CT ) # 17-32 entered on "Layout" program for CS 2.
Address of L88 = 64 ( registered under "Gerate") .

Example: On CT #16 the layout window states Bus 0 Contact 16

From layout page, I call up Contact Track # 17....i.e. connected to # 1 slot on 60881

I adjust the number from 16 to 17 and the label at the top changes to "Row 1, Contact 1" and the address switches to " 101" !!!

The ID is still # 64...the L88

What the heck am I doing wrong?

I can't seem to locate an answer, even in the Digital Newsletter ( Vol 27, No 3)

Thank you for any and all help....alan
Offline clapcott  
#12 Posted : 05 December 2017 05:13:30(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: amfisher102 Go to Quoted Post

2) Cannot properly connect with the 60881 connected to Bus # 2 side of L88 ....and cannot set the correct address for each contact track, # 17 and above.

I adjust the number from 16 to 17 and the label at the top changes to "Row 1, Contact 1" and the address switches to " 101" !!!

As per "Addresses for the Module: " on page 19 of the User manual ..
http://medienpdb.maerkli.../1/pdf/60883_betrieb.pdf

The addresses of ports on S88s on Bus #2 are from 2001 onwards.

Your first s88 on this bus will have addresses 2001 to 2016
Peter
Offline amfisher102  
#13 Posted : 05 December 2017 22:00:56(UTC)
amfisher102

United States   
Thank you for your help, Peter.

I programmed the CS per the protocol....BUT...

1) The L88 # is 64 ( with this address all 16 sensors worked on Bus 0)( "Gerate" option)
2) When I went to the CS2 "information" page: the options were both of my CS-2's, and "Link S88 # 2880" appeared ( Link # 64 was not a choice) ....now where did that come from? I programmed the options without problem.

All of my sensors now are "red" and non-functioning, whereas before all the 1-16 sensors on Bus 0 worked !
I also noted that when I examined sensor # 17 the info from the layout page it still showed Bus 0! ( I re-booted the CS twice)

I am at a loss what to do next. Any advice would be appreciated....thank you in advance. You can email me if you wish....amfisher102@mac.com..... alan
Offline clapcott  
#14 Posted : 06 December 2017 02:36:43(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Take a deep breath and sit down, Marklin have introduced attional roadbumps(features) that you just have to work through or accept

2) When I went to the CS2 "information" page: the options were both of my CS-2's, and "Link S88 # 2880" appeared ( Link # 64 was not a choice) ....now where did that come from? I programmed the options without problem.

This is a classic example of project managers not caring what the user needs - and the deveopers not asking for real world workcases

The information screen you reference is showing the last for digits of the L88 serial number rather than the more usefull friendly ID that you have entered

Quote:

All of my sensors now are "red" and non-functioning, whereas before all the 1-16 sensors on Bus 0 worked !

This is Marklins way of telling you that you have defined a sensor for use in either the Layout or a Memory route that does not exist.

From your previous description (adding a S88 to Bus 2) please ....
- Access "Setup" screen
- Enter Edit (blue) mode - click on spanner
- from the dropdown select your L88
- navigate to "Lange Bus 2 (RJ45-2)"
- update the number of S88s on this bus to 1 (at least, more if you have imminent plans to use more)

Closing comments:
From experience you should make sure that you shutdown cleanly to save configuration
AND
always have the L88 powered on before the CS2 restarts.

While stable once configured, it is not uncommon to expect the "red" sensors to reappear because the S88 count has somehow reset itself if some configuration steps are done out of sequence.
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline amfisher102  
#15 Posted : 06 December 2017 13:57:49(UTC)
amfisher102

United States   
Thank you, Peter....I attempted to correct the CS yesterday, but it didn't work. I'll try again this morning. I believe that my CS is fundamentally problematic because at times it simply "locks up" and is totally unresponsive. Perhaps information overload?

I'll reply with my results. In the meantime, thank you again for your sagacious interpretation of Marklin's "glitches".

alan..
Offline amfisher102  
#16 Posted : 06 December 2017 16:37:20(UTC)
amfisher102

United States   
Hello Peter...update: programming L88 and S88 problems.

1) Turned on L88 before booting up the CS. ( not certain why this order would influence outcome, but based on history with Marklin, not too terribly surprised.)

2) Checked the "Setup" page: all data entered last night was now lost, even tho saved with "blue" down arrow, green "check mark" and then again in the main Setup page with the "save" button. Re- entered programming data from manual.

3) All CT's ( contact tracks--L88 ) which worked before adding the 60881, no longer function since entering data under the "information " page. They still read Bus 0, 1-16, etc. ....but remain red.

4) After assigning a 60881 to the 60883, I can realize functioning CT's with the Bus 2, Mod 1, CT 6, e.g. So it appears that assigning the proper number to the CT works! Doh ! Thank you!

But what about the first 16 CT's assigned to the L88....? How do I resurrect them to functioning status?

Again, thank you for your assistance.....I am writing a blog describing the development of my new...and second layout....so I'll be certain to pass along all this information to hopefully benefit others. "Paying it forward" is so important in life.....alan
Offline clapcott  
#17 Posted : 06 December 2017 19:59:50(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
... what about the first 16 CT's assigned to the L88....? How do I resurrect them to functioning status?

If your CS2 is accessible via a PC then you could download and email me the config files

I am wondering if, in among other hair pulling, you altered the L88s ID at some stage.
In which case earlier sensor references will need to be edited to reflect that.

Cheers
Peter
Peter
Offline amfisher102  
#18 Posted : 07 December 2017 02:19:25(UTC)
amfisher102

United States   
Hello....

All the info I saved from this morning is void...gone! The CS is the culprit !
I attempted to run a loco already programmed into the system, and the CS ignored the control! ...lost it!

I don't believe that I changed the address of the L88....I re-examined the "Setup" menu and nothing changed. In fact, the Bus #2 CT's that I had programmed into the system this am which worked, now were non-functional!!!

Thus, I am in the pursuit of a CS 3.....tired of this nonsense with my CS 2 which has malfunctioned for many years!

As soon as I am up and running again, I contact you...you have been a sage as an advisor.. You have much to offer others, and I immensely appreciate your time and efforts to resolve my issues.

Thank you for all your efforts to resolve my issues....I hope someday I can buy you a draft!!!! ;-) Blessings...alan