Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2017 02:46:37(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
My wife and I are beginning to think about a trip to Germany (maybe 2018 or 2019) to attend one of the toy (train) exhibitions and then visit several cities in Germany. My question is which fairs would be good to attend. While I am pure Marklin, it would be good to see many layouts and venders, even go on a historical ride.

Appreciate suggestions.

Regards
Harvey
Offline MaerklinLife  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2017 06:42:31(UTC)
MaerklinLife

The Dortmund fair is attended by a lot of people and (at least where I live) seen as THE fair to go to. Usually it is held around the beginning of April.

If things goes to plan: In 2018 the IMA fair will be in Cologne, and in 2019 it will be in Göppingen for the Märklin Days. So there is that to consider if you are into Märklin. We will know for sure in the fall. The IMA is usually in the fall and some times closer to Christmas. It depends.

The Nuremberg fair is not open to the public and thus cannot be visited unless invited. It is not worth a visit, since it is all about dealers and manufacturers making deals. It is not designed for the public and you will most likely be disappointed if you go.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2017 21:17:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
The Dortmund fair is attended by a lot of people and (at least where I live) seen as THE fair to go to. Usually it is held around the beginning of April.

i would second the Dortmund fair as one to go to. It is a 'proper' model fair with more than just model trains, there are model boats, radio control vehicles of all sorts and an airplane section as well. Dortmund is also reasonably close to the Bochum Dalhausen railroad museum which has an interesting collection of items that we like to see as models. You are also not too far away from Wuppertal where the interesting suspended rail system resides. Hamburg where Miniature Wunderland lives is far enough away to be more than a day trip to do it justice, but is worth doing.

For non-railroad items for other family/tour members from Dortmund a day trip to Cologne is viable.

If things goes to plan: In 2018 the IMA fair will be in Cologne, and in 2019 it will be in Göppingen for the Märklin Days. So there is that to consider if you are into Märklin. We will know for sure in the fall. The IMA is usually in the fall and some times closer to Christmas. It depends.

If you are interested in coming to the Cologne IMA then immediately following the show the Christmas market season starts. There are a number of them within the Cologne city area (around 5 IIRC) with the one is the streets around the Cathedral being quite large. We have attended this one a couple of times, with the more recent one being slightly smaller than previous years.Other attractions at the Cologne show are the Lego show and the Live Steam meet which are held in other halls. The entry fee gives you access to all the shows.

The Nuremberg fair is not open to the public and thus cannot be visited unless invited. It is not worth a visit, since it is all about dealers and manufacturers making deals. It is not designed for the public and you will most likely be disappointed if you go.

The impression I have is that it is reasonably easy for members of the public to get access to Nurnberg Toy Fair at the end of the week of opening. It is also not to hard to have a suitable business card and get entry anyway. However it is really only worth going if you have an insatiable urge to get sight of the new items from all the manufacturers. There is one hall for the Model Railway products, and various other halls for other toy product ranges.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Harvey  
#4 Posted : 20 June 2017 00:36:57(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Thank you for the suggestions. I will save this post and begin doing research.

Regards

Harvey