Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 11 June 2017 23:27:44(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I've got a 16m long rectangular loop as a mainline. Maximum train length is 1.5m. I plan an approx 5m length for each of 3 signal blocks, allowing two trains to run on the track.
But I am also tempted to reduce block length to 4m thus having four blocks and allowing 3 trains to run, but fear that the shorter blocks might mean too much stopping and starting and thus less realistic operation.
Has anyone experience or opinion on what to choose as block length in these circumstances?
thanks, Jabez.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline analogmike  
#2 Posted : 12 June 2017 02:25:15(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Big blocks, Less trains.
After adding more trains you will find that they are stopped 1/2 the time anyway so you didn't really gain anything but a traffic jam.

Been there, Done that.

Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 12 June 2017 03:57:57(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Jabez,

For HO scale I would say a 16m run is quite large and if you run the trains at prototypically speed I would opt for the 4m length for the block. It will give you more than 3 meter to stop a train which would be very smooth.

For automatic control of trains, I would always recommend to build in more blocks than fewer. At the end of the day you decided how many trains you put on the layout and that's how you would avoid the traffic jams.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 12 June 2017 03:58:16(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Like Mike, I had done this too.. The official minimum is number of trains + 1 (or 2) blocks, but if you do that then you just get a traffic jam as one moves into the vacant block - stops and can't move forward as there is a train already in the next block.. the new first train in the block moves into the space vacated by the last one and so on.

You really need number of ( trains x 2 ) + 1 blocks for the layout to run continuously. It also helps to have switchable alternate routes to allow overtaking of a slower train - more of an option for computer controlled layouts that can move freight trains to a siding so that the express can go through.. You can run with less spare blocks if every train runs at the same speed, but that is not a realistic operation in my view..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 12 June 2017 09:28:40(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
My main loop (a folded "dogbone" type layout with shadow-stations in both ends), has a total run of around 200 meters(!) before the train returns to the same place again.
This is divided into 12 blocks, but each of very different length; As this incorporates the whole layout, stops are planned at strategic points; Most are held away from the visible part of the layout, specifically to avoid SEEING the stop-and-go congestion when you run a maximum number of trains.
Shortest block is around 8 meters. Longest block is probably around 24 meters, going up through a 4-round R5 helix, as it is not a good idea to stop on such a curved incline.
Max train-length is 4 meters.

The few visible stops (2 on the main-line, and the main station) are "dressed up" with braking sections to give a nice impression. -So that it is a "joy" to see the trains stop and wait for green.

The theme that xxup touches is very important indeed; I use reed-switches and sliders to make out what train should do what; If a train passes a double contact-track point, and has only 1 slider, then it is per definition a freight-train, and will be led through non-platform tracks in the main station. Also, if another train is following it close behind (=has reached its stop-signal in the block before the train in front of it, the train in front will be led to a siding, to be "lapped" by the train behind.
(The reed-swithes are used to detect "other" trains; reversing commuter trains, and trains wich must be led to/from the branch-line.)

All of this is done on an analogue layout with relays (and a little help from an industrial PLC), but is really trivial to do with modern digitally controlled trains.

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 12 June 2017 18:43:58(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I designate certain areas of track where I do not allow trains to stop. I only let a train start on a route when it has been determined that there is free track to an area where stopping is allowed.

While it is on its journey is is trying to book additional track until it gets to its desired destination.

In other words I don't have trains attempting to run all the time as far as the next occupied block. Hidden areas are places where trains can stop and the stations of course. So trains will come out of hiding when there is clear track to a station. It will depart the station when there is clear track to the next station or another hidden area.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Jabez  
#7 Posted : 13 June 2017 16:01:16(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
thank you all.ThumpUp
I realize that it was a very subjective question, depending on individual layout design and operating practices. But your comments have given me a good idea of the approaches that various people adopt to create block systems.
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams