Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline fedex1981  
#1 Posted : 04 June 2017 19:12:26(UTC)
fedex1981

Argentina   
Hello!, first of all, thank you to let me post this question in this forum. I hope we can found an answer to this issue. I bought a CS3 and i found that when i put an MFX/MFX+ locomotive in the track, the CS3 does not recognize it. All the others locos with Motorola decoder works perfect, but i could not find any way to make MFX works. I do have the MFX checked in the system, i tried using both normal track and program track, i tried also ¨forcing¨ to detect MFX in the EDIT. Finally, i updated the CS3 but still, not working...

Does anybody got the same issue? Do you have any idea how this might be solved? Confused

Thank you all very much.

Federico
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 05 June 2017 00:21:39(UTC)
Goofy

Did you check first if there stand mfx protocol in the system?
Did you also upgrade CS3 to version 1.3.0?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline franciscohg  
#3 Posted : 05 June 2017 01:22:01(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
strange.....if mfx is enabled in the CS3, software update is OK and not a single mfx loco is registering properly you might have a hardware problem.
Have you contacted Marklin?
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 05 June 2017 03:54:34(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: fedex1981 Go to Quoted Post
... when i put an MFX/MFX+ locomotive in the track, the CS3 does not recognize it.

Hello Federico

You do not offer any pedigree of the Locomotive.

- What is it? Make Model - if factory decoder or upgrade etc...
- Has it worked before (for you)? on what controller? in what mode?
- Does it have a Track/Centenary switch set wrong
- If it has been known to work in MM/DCC mode - temporarily disable the mfx on the CS3 and try natively.

Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline franciscohg  
#5 Posted : 05 June 2017 04:15:22(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
My mistske, i have assumed that a bunch of previously working mfx locos did not registered.
If the problems arise with only one loco, then is mandatory to check.the.engine first. More if other non mfx locos works fine
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline NewComix  
#6 Posted : 05 June 2017 12:00:33(UTC)
NewComix

Germany   
Hi Federico,

Hello!, first of all, thank you to let me post this question in this forum. I hope we can found an answer to this issue. I bought a CS3 and i found that when i put an MFX/MFX+ locomotive in the track, the CS3 does not recognize it. All the others locos with Motorola decoder works perfect, but i could not find any way to make MFX works. I do have the MFX checked in the system, i tried using both normal track and program track, i tried also ¨forcing¨ to detect MFX in the EDIT. Finally, i updated the CS3 but still, not working...

Does anybody got the same issue? Do you have any idea how this might be solved? Confused

Thank you all very much.

Federico

I had similar problems before and these are not solved to 100% yet, so I always register my locos on the program track first.

If it is one specific loc, try to find the error at this loc. An option always is to register that loc on another mfx controller.

Otherwise, first be patient: sometimes registration only happens after minutes. Second: Try to use the program track for registration (and use a proper cable to the program track). Lastly restore a backup file - even if it is the initial one from Märklin.

kind regards
Jörg

Offline fedex1981  
#7 Posted : 05 June 2017 13:28:14(UTC)
fedex1981

Argentina   
Thank you all for the replies. They all help me a lot to try to find and answer to the problem.

- This is happening to ALL the MFX locomotives (they were never recognized by the CS3, but they do work perfect using MS1, MS2 and CS1).

- I updated the CS3 to the latest file, which i think it is v1.3 (did that on saturday, but MFX still not working).

- I sent an email to Marklin, and i am waiting for their answer.

- One thing i found strange, with one MFX+ locomotive, when placed in tracks, the lights turn on.

- I was thinking on trying to add manually the mfx loco, but i dont know which code they have. Is there any way, or some file, with the train model / MFX code they use? i dont mind to add them manually if they work that way.
Offline fedex1981  
#8 Posted : 05 June 2017 13:29:28(UTC)
fedex1981

Argentina   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Did you check first if there stand mfx protocol in the system?
Did you also upgrade CS3 to version 1.3.0?

Yes, MFX is checked in the CS3 and i also upgrade to 1.3 on saturday
Offline fedex1981  
#9 Posted : 05 June 2017 13:40:19(UTC)
fedex1981

Argentina   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
... when i put an MFX/MFX+ locomotive in the track, the CS3 does not recognize it.

Hello Federico

You do not offer any pedigree of the Locomotive.

- What is it? Make Model - if factory decoder or upgrade etc...
- Has it worked before (for you)? on what controller? in what mode?
- Does it have a Track/Centenary switch set wrong
- If it has been known to work in MM/DCC mode - temporarily disable the mfx on the CS3 and try natively.

Hi!
The models are all original, with factory decoder.
They worked all ok using CS1, MS1 and MS2. I only use tracks.
What do you mean by trying natively? to add the MFX decoder code in the CS3 by hand? i do not know which code they have. Is there any way to know that? i would like tro try that. I dont mind to add they one by one by hand if they work that way.

Here is a list of some of my locomotives i tried. Is there any way to get their codes to add them manually??:

Thanks
Offline fedex1981  
#10 Posted : 05 June 2017 13:47:55(UTC)
fedex1981

Argentina   
Originally Posted by: NewComix Go to Quoted Post
Hi Federico,

I had similar problems before and these are not solved to 100% yet, so I always register my locos on the program track first.

If it is one specific loc, try to find the error at this loc. An option always is to register that loc on another mfx controller.

Otherwise, first be patient: sometimes registration only happens after minutes. Second: Try to use the program track for registration (and use a proper cable to the program track). Lastly restore a backup file - even if it is the initial one from Märklin.

kind regards
Jörg

Hi! i tryed on saturday using the program track, using the cable it came with the CS3 (red and brown that have some metal clip to introduce in the metal pins under the track).

This happens to all my MFX locos :(

How do i register one mfx loco using another controller? i mean, i checked them using the MS1, MS2 and CS1 and they worked ok there. How i register a locomotive and transfer that locomotive to the CS3?

Thank you for your time!

Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 05 June 2017 14:50:59(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hi Federico,

kind regards
Jörg

Hi! i tryed on saturday using the program track, using the cable it came with the CS3 (red and brown that have some metal clip to introduce in the metal pins under the track).

How do i register one mfx loco using another controller? i mean, i checked them using the MS1, MS2 and CS1 and they worked ok there. How i register a locomotive and transfer that locomotive to the CS3?

Thank you for your time!

This does rather sound like a fault in the mfx circuitry inside the CS3. I think it is time to return it to Marklin for warranty repair I'm afraid.

Offline NewComix  
#12 Posted : 05 June 2017 15:45:52(UTC)
NewComix

Germany   
Hi Fiderico,
Hi Federico,

kind regards
Jörg

Thank you for your time!

ok, if those locos work on another mfx controller (that was meant by registered) the problem is definitely with the CS3. Not necessarily a hardware problem, but you should claim the CS3 at your dealer or Märklin.

One final thing to check is the type of power supply in setup: 60061, which is the correct one for H0. Note:The CS3 behaves differently whilst using the power supply 60101 for Gauge 1

kind regards
Jörg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NewComix
Offline Minok  
#13 Posted : 05 June 2017 22:03:20(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Have you tried using the MS2, clearing its loco list of one of the effected locos, and then ensuring the loco can re-register itself with the MS2?
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline clapcott  
#14 Posted : 05 June 2017 22:30:26(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
While you have updated the main CS3 to the latest software, can you confirm that you have propagated this to the GFP3(TFP).

It is possible to "download" the latest "package" of software, but not necessarily apply it automatically,

The GFP/TFP, Track format processor, is a subset of the hardware that does the track work (the booster part)

Please quote (screen shot) the "Info" panel of the GFP3-1 - should be v12.22

Further:
The comment about lights coming "on" is important.

As long as this does not mean "left on from the last run". In this situation the first thing you see when mFX loco is put on a foreign controller is that the lights go out when it detects the controller.

Either the GFP is not sending mFX data (see update above) or the locos have mfx disabled (unlikely but possible)
Peter
Offline maurifuma  
#15 Posted : 01 November 2017 18:22:37(UTC)
maurifuma

Italy   
Hello to the group. I recently bought a CS3 and it came with 1.3.0 firmware. I have updates it to 1.3.1 and now I have a weird behavior. I have approx 22 locos on track and 6 are MFX. Outof the 6 MFX, 1 is an MFX+.
When I run some of the MFX locos, they start properly but after few seconds I lose control of them: no speed control, no functions control...nothing...I have to use the STOP button. Resuming from STOP, the loco works for few seconds and after....same thing happens...
Even more weird....if I connect the track to the PROG plug...everything works perfectly. If I switch to the regular plug...I see the problem.

I tried to reload the firmware but because it is the same version, the system does not start the loading process. I use a 60101 power supply and have a separate power unit for the accessories...all ground are properly connected.....
Currently I use the track connected to the PROG connector...but it is limited in current and I am afraid to overload the port, even if normally I see .945 A current usage....

Did anybody seen this issue?

Thank you for the help.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 01 November 2017 18:40:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Are they all recent locomotives or some old ones? I know of a case with an old 6021 where one loco had an armature that caused excessive noise which upset decoders and they would loose control.

If you have some old locos I would try taking them off the track and see what happens.

Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 01 November 2017 20:17:43(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It's all about the troubleshooting. Delete all the locos from the CS3 and then allow one to register. Run it for a while to see if you get the same behaviour with just that one loco. If it works OK then add another loco and test again. At some point you will get the problem occur, and you will have a better indication of what is causing it.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Minok  
#18 Posted : 01 November 2017 20:30:46(UTC)
Minok

United States   
It sounds like, if it worked fine under CS3 fw 3.1.0 and now under 3.1.1 is misbehaving that the firmware changes in 3.1.1 may have made the system sensitive to something that was already occurring on the track. Whether its a bug in the 3.1.1 firmware or there was an underlying issue that prior firmware was just compensating for/hiding isn't know. Agreed that methodically figuring out which loco or combo of locos trigger the behavior is key to working toward a solution.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline maurifuma  
#19 Posted : 02 November 2017 08:02:24(UTC)
maurifuma

Italy   
Thank you all for the suggestions.
Although I already deleted all the locos and re-registered them, the feeling was that the problem appears when they are all loaded....but this may very weel point out to a single one causing the issue.
Again, the very weird part is that when I connect the track to the PROG port, everything works fine...if I connect the track to the regular port, the problem appears quite rapidly.....

This is my main point: what is different in the PROG port from the regular port?

I will try all your suggestions and report back.

Ciao
Offline maurifuma  
#20 Posted : 02 November 2017 08:04:25(UTC)
maurifuma

Italy   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Are they all recent locomotives or some old ones? I know of a case with an old 6021 where one loco had an armature that caused excessive noise which upset decoders and they would loose control.

If you have some old locos I would try taking them off the track and see what happens.

They are all quite recent: a couple are really new. One of them was updated to MKX decoder from a previous generation decoder: the work was done by an authorized dealer with Marklin parts. To be honest, I strongly believe that this one could be the one causing the issue....I will remove this one first and see how the other locos behave...
Offline maurifuma  
#21 Posted : 02 November 2017 08:07:46(UTC)
maurifuma

Italy   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

I do have some old ones but, at a desperation point, last weekend I have deleted ALL the locos, including the non-MFX and started from scratch adding the MFX one by one....it seemed to be working for a while and after one hour, the issue appeared again.....
But I will redo this, eliminating one one by from the track and see if there is any improvement. At the moment everything works if connected to the PROG output...