Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 30 May 2017 05:59:09(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Anybody have a layout based around the old Minex line of Marklin trains? I have dabbled in On30 in the past with the logging style trains from another manufacture. I just picked up the Minex starter set with the steamer and 2 passenger coaches. I used to have a small 33x55 inch micro Marklin layout, thought about bringing it back from the dead but in narrow gauge. I would need a small loop of M track and a proper transformer as my HO set up is digital only. I was reading old posts, and I think it still could be a viable line to bring back again. Bachmann has done really well with thier On30 line of trains. They allow O scale trains in the space where normally only HO or smaller will fit. They also fit in well with the ceramic Christmas buildings, which is kind of my thoughts. Some of the Dickensville buildings from Dept 56 have enough of a European look to fit outside of the UK setting. Shame its 3rail ac, kills using the proper On30 track from Peco. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 30 May 2017 18:54:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
A friend of mine had some Minex trains which he ran on his M track based H0 layout. When he sadly passed away, his Minex trains were passed on to our club, where they currently sit in a display case on display!

Another club member friend also built a small Minex layout.

Minex1.JPGMinex3.JPGMinex2.JPGMinex4.JPG
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Ian555  
#3 Posted : 30 May 2017 20:15:01(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
I have a small M track setup in the middle of my Marklin O gauge Clockwork layout that I run my Minex Set on.
Offline artfull dodger  
#4 Posted : 30 May 2017 22:59:35(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Thanks for the pics, I like how the track jogs around the stand of trees, then jogs back across a stream. That is exactly the look I want to go for. I have always been attracted to Austrian/German meter gauge trains. Just imagine what Marklin could have done with Minex if they chose some of the models that LGB chose in G scale. Imagine a Harz Krupp 2-6-2T and 2-10-2T in Minex scale, or some of the wonderful Austrian U class like on the Zillertalbahn. Imagine them done in full diecast. Its fun to dream of what could have been. Marklin could have had a full meter gauge system that would have probably sold well if developed into a full program and not a toe dip in the water. O scale is much better supported in the buildings and scenery today, atleast with USA style buildings geared mostly to the 3 rail crowd, but still the correct scale for Minex. My guess is that Marklin made to little in the way of model choices, lack of structures and other needed layout detail items and thus the line sold poorly. That being said, I am now looking for more Minex and some M track to run it on. I got my little set cheap as the engine's shell is a bit beat up. But it will work for now. I love HO, but its hard for my eyes to focus on it any more, Minex should be perfect for my indoor set up judging by the other On30 I have owned. Even with poor quality conrol issues, the Bachmann line of On30 has sold well. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by artfull dodger