Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DaleSchultz  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2017 19:19:40(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Last night I was running my BR 85 that is equipped with a LokPilot decoder.

It was running very slowly in reverse over some track that is typically not used much and was somewhat dirty. The loco stopped and I went to it to clean the track a bit ahead of it. I suddenly noticed some smoke coming from the cab, which was not good as there is no smoke unit in this loco. I yanked it off the layout right away and opened it up on my workbench.

I could not see anything burnt, but I could smell some smoke on the motor.

I put the loco on the track without its cover and gave it current and sure enough smoke came out the motor again. I removed it quickly again.

I took the rotor out and looked at it and it seemed fine. I tried to move the gear train (which is very long in this loco) and there was a sticky part of the movement. I looked and looked for something caught in the gears, and cleaned them with a pipe cleaner. I did not find anything but after the cleaning they moved freely again.

I oiled them and reassembled the motor. The loco then ran fine again.

So, what I suspect happened is that some tiny thing (like a grain of ballast?) got caught up in the gears, preventing them from turning. With the motor then stalled, the decoder presumably increased the power to the motor based on the back EMF from the motor. This ran power through the single winding of the 3 pole rotor, and that caused it to overheat and start smoking.

Clearly I was lucky in seeing the smoke and stopping it quickly, saving the rotor.

Does anyone know if the load control of the LokPilots will keep increasing the power even if the motor is not turning at all?
If so, this can be a real issue and lead to burnt out rotor windings. I would hope that if the motor is not turning at all, the decoder would only apply current for short durations, but perhaps that would lead to less smooth starts... thoughts?

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Minok  
#2 Posted : 15 May 2017 19:43:12(UTC)
Minok

United States   
How would the decoder be able to tell if the motor is actually turning? One could have a current sensing system on the decoder to ensure that at a given voltage the expected current stays within a region, and kick in a safety stop if it looks like its hung up. Another option is a thermal resetting fuse to cut power on overheat, but you'd want it to signal in some way so you know to take the loco apart and diagnose.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 15 May 2017 19:48:20(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Dale, usually when this happens you will hear the coil buzzing as it draws more current.

If the stickiness is just temporary then the loco will jerk into motion after the voltage increases enough. A hard obstruction as you suspect will make it just draw maximum current until the coil overheats.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 15 May 2017 20:47:26(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
How would the decoder be able to tell if the motor is actually turning? One could have a current sensing system on the decoder to ensure that at a given voltage the expected current stays within a region, and kick in a safety stop if it looks like its hung up.

Modern decoders can determine the speed of the motor using what is called back EMF. This is how they implement load regulation or constant speed regulation - which the LokPilot decoders have.

Dale
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 15 May 2017 20:49:45(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
the coil was removed and replaced with a permanent magnet when the decoder was installed. Back EMF is only possible with a permanent magnet motor.

The winding that were overheating was one of the three windings on the rotor, technically also a coil of sorts.
Dale
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 15 May 2017 21:17:57(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
the coil was removed and replaced with a permanent magnet when the decoder was installed. Back EMF is only possible with a permanent magnet motor.

The winding that were overheating was one of the three windings on the rotor, technically also a coil of sorts.

Sorry Dale, I was referring to the coils on the armature. What you call a winding. I'm well aware that we are talking about permanent field magnets.

Time and again I run into trouble with people from different backgrounds using different names for parts of a motor. What you call a rotor is in my book an armature. I've seen lots of references to rotors so I'm not saying you are wrong, but it's not what I learnt in University. I've also heard some unusual names for the commutator, the brushes and a few other parts...

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Danlake  
#7 Posted : 15 May 2017 21:53:31(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Dale,

Interesting observations and a good question?

Hopefully someone knows the answer.

I believe with Lokpilot decoder you can adjust the amount of load regulation. I have noticed a tendency, among some US modeller, to limit the load regulation to mimic a more prototypically run where the loco slows down on grades unless the driver apply more throttle.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 16 May 2017 03:05:06(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Dale, I thought regardless of Back EMF, if your motor is not turning it will ruin it with current going through. however what is surprising the decoder has an overload protection and should turn off. you may take this further and ask the ESU forum.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 16 May 2017 15:49:31(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Dale, I thought regardless of Back EMF, if your motor is not turning it will ruin it with current going through. however what is surprising the decoder has an overload protection and should turn off. you may take this further and ask the ESU forum.

John

I doubt it will turn off totally, but it should limit the current to some defined value.

Now wether that is a low enough current to stop the armature burning out when stalled is another question.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline jvuye  
#10 Posted : 16 May 2017 21:56:06(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

John

I doubt it will turn off totally, but it should limit the current to some defined value.

Now wether that is a low enough current to stop the armature burning out when stalled is another question.

If the motor doesn't actually turn , there is no back EMF to detect. Wink
The decoder will thus go "full bore"on a blocked motor
But the output transistor is protected and will shut off thermally .
Your diagnosis of a blocked mechanism is probably the most plausible explanation.
Off hand I don't know of a way to fully protect a blocked rotor unless the output transistor is also current limited, but that adjustment would have to be user adjustable to adapt to the very different motors electrical characteristics.
(E.g a Faulhaber is a miser, an old Rivarossi big round motor is a hog!)

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jvuye