Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline walters48  
#1 Posted : 08 May 2017 17:50:01(UTC)
walters48

United States   

After putting my 3309 2-10-2 Steam Lok back in service after about 2 years in cool, dry storage, it began making a very irritating "scree" noise around every curve. I lubed all the underside accessible contact points, but it didn't help. Since I purchased my lok on eBay w/o an owner's booklet, I can't find which screw(s) I need to remove to separate the chassis from the frame so I can lube more bearing surfaces. Could one of the Marklinistas out there please advise.
Thanks,
Chas
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2017 18:36:26(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: walters48 Go to Quoted Post

After putting my 3309 2-10-2 Steam Lok back in service after about 2 years in cool, dry storage, it began making a very irritating "scree" noise around every curve. I lubed all the underside accessible contact points, but it didn't help. Since I purchased my lok on eBay w/o an owner's booklet, I can't find which screw(s) I need to remove to separate the chassis from the frame so I can lube more bearing surfaces. Could one of the Marklinistas out there please advise.
Thanks,
Chas

UserPostedImage

Remove these screws to get into the mechanism. Apply only one drop of oil to the motor end bearings. That should get rid of the screeching sound.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 09 May 2017 03:35:30(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I would reconsider oiling the wheels and by opening up the chassis to add more oil to it. you most probably will find the brush plate needs a tiny drop of oil. so your loco only makes a screeching noise when going into curves and not on a straight track ?

Purchasing 2nd locos can sometimes be a bit of a headache, as one doesn't know what the loco has been through. I would inspect the whole motor by taking it apart and also look at the cleanliness of the loco, as Ray mentioned the back of the armature is also a cause for this noise to happen.
I've mentioned it several times before, over oiling can make your loco performance worse and some people use oil like you would put olive oil on an Italian salad.

as you've mentioned oiling the contact points didn't help at all, if you ever consider adding ball bearings to your motor it would help 100 % reducing the need of oil, all you have to do is drill a hole into the brush plate, make sure its in right in the centre and the back of the motor, remove the plastic insert and add a 4mm ball bearing as well.
you will find doing this small exercise your locos will run smoother and quieter.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline walters48  
#4 Posted : 10 May 2017 03:49:12(UTC)
walters48

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Thanks,
Chas

UserPostedImage

Remove these screws to get into the mechanism. Apply only one drop of oil to the motor end bearings. That should get rid of the screeching sound.

Thanks Ray-- that good advice solved the noise problem immediately! But now I have another problem: after I tested it body-off-frame right on the layout and it ran like new, I put the body back on and now it will only go in reverse and no Telex. I was very careful and followed your advice to the a "T", but still I managed to foul something up.
I will repeat the entire procedure tomorrow w/o any more oil, an let you know how it comes out.
Regards,
Chas
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 10 May 2017 08:32:42(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Thanks,
Chas

UserPostedImage

Thanks Ray-- that good advice solved the noise problem immediately! But now I have another problem: after I tested it body-off-frame right on the layout and it ran like new, I put the body back on and now it will only go in reverse and no Telex. I was very careful and followed your advice to the a "T", but still I managed to foul something up.
I will repeat the entire procedure tomorrow w/o any more oil, an let you know how it comes out.
Regards,
Chas

Hi Chas,

It sounds like you might have fouled the reversing relay when putting the body back on. See if it works correctly with the body off. If it still doesn't reverse you may have pulled a wire off. Have a good look at the wires around the reversing relay.
Ray
Offline walters48  
#6 Posted : 13 May 2017 20:41:01(UTC)
walters48

United States   
OK. I took the body off the frame again again, and everything works fine--- forward, reverse am
Offline walters48  
#7 Posted : 13 May 2017 21:13:17(UTC)
walters48

United States   
Hi Ray,
I can't seem to get my full reply into print above because of laptop problems. Let me try a quick summary here.
Took body off frame again and very carefully fd it back on in
-Chas
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 15 May 2017 09:16:13(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
So it only works with the body off? Something must be fouling the reversing unit.

Sometimes it can take a very good look to see what you are doing wrong. I'm afraid it is difficult for me to guess where the problem is. Can you post photos of the loco with the top off?
Ray
Offline walters48  
#9 Posted : 20 May 2017 00:01:28(UTC)
walters48

United States   
Hi Ray,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. My laptop went down last Saturday and wouldn't recharge, so I took it to the pc wizards at Best Buy and it turned out it had 3 different viruses! Fortunately, I had a good service and repair plan, so it didn't cost me anything except not having my pc for a few days...
So anyway, I took the body off the frame again and checked all the wires and relay and stuff. Then I put the body back on very, very carefully and now it runs like new. I think you nailed the first time, because I added only ONE drop of oil to both motor end bearings and the noise stopped right after that.

Many thanks for the good illustrations and advice,
Chas