Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Timnomads  
#1 Posted : 25 April 2017 09:50:51(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi All

I am interested in the 00720 25,096 gallon type Zans and Zacns tank cars

ca7f6f7ebe94605653596317642345ff1484047350.jpg

But there are 12! in the set with a price of $540 and a total length of 2.4m. How many people have layout that can take that length of train ?

Why don't they try to market to the average user and sell by the piece or max of 3 or 4 wagons with a more affordable price - 12 is crazy.

Tim
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 25 April 2017 10:14:17(UTC)
H0

Hi, Tim,

You miss an important aspect of their marketing logic: if an item has "Display" in the description then it is meant to be sold individually by dealers.
Dealers have to order complete sets, you can buy individual cars from the dealer of your trust.

Swiss dealers may have to sell the Wascosa cars at high prices as it may be difficult for them to get rid of the GATX and VTG cars.

IMHO this "Display" approach is good for Märklin, bad for dealers, bad for customers. I hope Märklin know what they are doing.

Hurry and find a dealer who sells the individual cars you need.
Or buy all 12 and sell those you do not need.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 25 April 2017 10:17:41(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Timnomads Go to Quoted Post
Hi All

I am interested in the 00720 25,096 gallon type Zans and Zacns tank cars

But there are 12! in the set with a price of $540 and a total length of 2.4m. How many people have layout that can take that length of train ?

Why don't they try to market to the average user and sell by the piece or max of 3 or 4 wagons with a more affordable price - 12 is crazy.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Having a large number of cars with different road numbers/marking appeals to many model railroaders.

In theory, since the models are packaged individually in the set , they can be sold separately.
Most dealers will "break" the set and offer the individual models.

Personally, I am partial to long "block" trains and have occasionally bought complete sets.

But you are right, I only did this *occasionally* due to the hefty price tag.

From a Märklin point of view, I guess there must be an economy of scale by manufacturing a large(r) number of identical items.
On the other hand, their painting/marking/printing dept. is set up to be "flexible", which allows the different marking at a very small additional cost.

I am sure you'll find a few dealers in CH that will be ready to sell you the individual items.

Cheers

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Timnomads  
#4 Posted : 25 April 2017 10:21:53(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi
Thanks for the replies, I will speak to my pet dealers and see if I can get about 6 at a good price. I actually see these everyday on my way to Geneva and they do have all the combination of cars in the trains.
Tim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline Unholz  
#5 Posted : 25 April 2017 11:14:27(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Conrad in Switzerland sells them in batches of four wagons ( http://www.conrad.ch/ce/...sselwagen-Zans-und-Zacns ), and other dealers such as Stucki ( www.zugkraft-stucki.ch ) had them listed individually in their online shops.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 25 April 2017 16:38:43(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
In the past I have found quite a few dealers willing to sell the cars from a "Display" set separately, both online and in physical shops. I find it very useful as I can then make up block trains of my own choice of length to suit my layout.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 25 April 2017 18:57:53(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Don't forget to look at the set of 6 that are in the Trix range, announced in the same brochure, as they are different to the Marklin ones.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 29 April 2017 02:15:41(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
In the past I have found quite a few dealers willing to sell the cars from a "Display" set separately, both online and in physical shops. I find it very useful as I can then make up block trains of my own choice of length to suit my layout.

I agree. You can often get just parts of a set like that, which exactly suits the needs of a lot of people.

But I have lots of track and I love long freight trains with many multiples of the same wagon, but only as long as they all have different road numbers. So I always get the entire set, which fits my layout. As mentioned earlier it is easy to sell any wagons which you ultimately decide you don't want. But it is nice to have good options available to all of us, large layout or small.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Purellum  
#9 Posted : 29 April 2017 08:40:10(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

What would you rather tell your wife ??

"I bought only one item this month" or "I bought 12 items this month" ?? LOL

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum