Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MikeR  
#1 Posted : 22 April 2017 11:24:31(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Good day

My wife and I are moving from South Africa to the USA. A major part of our move is to relocate our Marklin collection. Unfortunately the supply voltage in SA is 220v versus the 110v in the US, necessitating a new set of power supplies. I have a number of 6021 control units which I want to use for grand children, test tracks etc. and need to know whether I can use the 66365 switched mode power supply? This psu generates DC versus the 6001 transformer which generated AC power. Can I use the 66365 on the 6021?

From my understanding, if the 6021 converts the incoming supply to DC via a rectifier bridge etc. then there isn't a problem and connecting the 6021 to a 66365 is possible.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MikeR
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 22 April 2017 11:36:11(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: MikeR Go to Quoted Post
From my understanding, if the 6021 converts the incoming supply to DC via a rectifier bridge etc. then there isn't a problem and connecting the 6021 to a 66365 is possible.
The 6021 has a Delon circuit inside, not a Graetz circuit (bridge rectifier).

Using DC should be possible if you add Märklin 60130 Converter or similar converters from other companies.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 22 April 2017 12:08:08(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Safe travelling and best of luck with the move Mike.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline PJMärklin  
#4 Posted : 22 April 2017 12:18:57(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Good day

My wife and I are moving from South Africa to the USA. A major part of our move is to relocate our Marklin collection. Unfortunately the supply voltage in SA is 220v versus the 110v in the US, necessitating a new set of power supplies. I have a number of 6021 control units which I want to use for grand children, test tracks etc. and need to know whether I can use the 66365 switched mode power supply? This psu generates DC versus the 6001 transformer which generated AC power. Can I use the 66365 on the 6021?

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello Michael,

I also run my layout via 6021.

UserPostedImage

All you need do is go to the local electrical/electronics store in the U,S of A and buy a transformer that converts the local 110vAC to 16vAC for the 6021 unit, current of your choosing depending on the transformer.

When setting up my layout I did the same here in Australia (240vAC, now 230v AC to 16v AC). My boosters are also powered in the same way.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Such readily available transformers are much cheaper than the Märklin transformers. You do not necessarily need a Märklin brand transformer - 16vAC is 16vAC by whatever means.
Best wishes for your migration.

Regards,

PJ

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline MikeR  
#5 Posted : 22 April 2017 12:39:12(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Thank you Tom and PJ for your replies. Once I get to the USA I will go to an electronics shop and purchase 16v 30-40VA power supply units for the 6021s. This will be the easiest solution. I was debating whether it is worth taking the 6021 control units but there is nothing wrong with them. I also have a CS2 and have managed to purchase a 60065 psu which is ideal.

I did think of purchasing a 220v/110v step down transformer and bringing all my existing psus but decided it was better to bite the bullet and replace everything - part of the cost of the move.

Tom thank you for enlightening me on the different AC/DC conversion methods. I was only aware of the bridge rectifier alternative.

PJ your control setup looks very impressive!
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
Offline PJMärklin  
#6 Posted : 23 April 2017 05:49:40(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Thank you Tom and PJ for your replies.
PJ your control setup looks very impressive!

Hello Michael,

Thank you for your kind comments.
Whilst I consider myself IT literate, I just prefer to have immediate, individual and constant control over the eight locomotives or EMU's that can run simultaneously on my layout, even though this method seems now out-of-date.

Regards,

PJ

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin