Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2017 13:16:18(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I have bought 5 Rail Cars 39730 for myself and for others and out of the 4 only one seems to ok.

The first one has completely stopped working after about 10 minutes use.

The second one has worked for about 40 hours and one of the video screens is faulty.

The third one also stopped working after about 5 minutes use.

The fourth one has had about an hours use, and is still operating ok.

The fifth one I haven't opened but will be doing so in the next few days.

This is a pretty poor performance for a Marklin product - basically a 60% failure rate. I hope someone from Marklin reads this and can explain to me why this is happening - no wonder it is out of production - it's Sh@@.

Know that I have that off my chest, perhaps someone can tell me if it's possible to change the time for the doors to open and close - again the Marklin documentation is very vague.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline Leitner  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2017 13:38:11(UTC)
Leitner

Taiwan, Province Of China   
Well, I didn't bought that item BECAUSE of the screens, I'm in the IT sector and frankly this train is one of those thing which provide you a free ticket to troubleland.

I'll explain better, let's take for example PC screens, most of the faults are not in the monitor itself but in the webcam or the speakers which are usually included, many producer now are avoiding adding speakers and webcam for this reasons.

Same things apply to train, every screen is a appliance which can go faulty, on a digital train you have to things which can go bust, engine and decoder, in the 39730 you have six things, Decoder, engine and 4 screens, so it's highly possible that the defective rate will be higher and it's also possible that you'll experience more trouble in the future.

My suggestion is to send the fauly items back and go for the solution "without screen".

BR
Ep. III (My layout is set in 1962).
I collect mainly DSB, DB and SBB but I'm quite... Open minded.
I'm quite a big collector of NOHAB lok :)
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Leitner
Offline baggio  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2017 18:00:57(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post

Hi, Drongo, I am sorry to hear about your problems with this rail car.

A few thoughts:

1. Why did two of the cars stop working? If you give us details, perhaps someone here could suggest a SIMPLE solution.

2. Can you live with the screen being defective? It may be better than returning the loco. Having said that, you have 5 such locos, so this may not be a huge problem for you.

3. Are you sure you want to open the fifth one? You may be able to return it to Marklin and get a refund of the money in view of the failures of the other three.

4. Incidentally, you are only addressing four locos, not five. This is because the fifth one has not yet been opened. This makes the failure rate 75% Scared ThumbDown not 60%.

The loco is otherwise really beautiful, albeit temperamental. Reminds me of ..... [politically incorrect statement censured by writer] BigGrin

Troubled rail car.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline mrmarklin  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2017 01:48:47(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
I wish I could help you. I have only purchased one and it runs well with my CS2. BigGrin

It will not run correctly with 6021 nor Uhlenbrock equipment, as I have tried to run it on other's layouts. Blink

Are you using CS2?
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 16 April 2017 02:07:38(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I bought the famous video doors railcar, because I was in the IT sector. I like to collect those items made by Marklin that demonstrate a step forward with integrating technology into model railways. Yes, there is always a risk with emerging technology, but that's what used to keep me in a job.. LOL So I am not afraid of failing video doors.

Mine works fine with the eCos and WinDigiPet. I might get it out again next month for a small railcar set up.
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Drongo  
#6 Posted : 17 April 2017 14:10:14(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post

Hi, Drongo, I am sorry to hear about your problems with this rail car.

A few thoughts:

1. Why did two of the cars stop working? If you give us details, perhaps someone here could suggest a SIMPLE solution.

2. Can you live with the screen being defective? It may be better than returning the loco. Having said that, you have 5 such locos, so this may not be a huge problem for you.

3. Are you sure you want to open the fifth one? You may be able to return it to Marklin and get a refund of the money in view of the failures of the other three.

4. Incidentally, you are only addressing four locos, not five. This is because the fifth one has not yet been opened. This makes the failure rate 75% Scared ThumbDown not 60%.

The loco is otherwise really beautiful, albeit temperamental. Reminds me of ..... [politically incorrect statement censured by writer] BigGrin

Troubled rail car.jpg

I have no idea why the trains stopped working - they just won't move or light up, etc.

These trains are running on layouts which are on display to the public, and the image of the doors opening and the passengers getting on and off is very impressive. I don't want to exchange the trains - I want to have the special effect of the doors. We all buy Marklin because it's suppose to be the best quality and reliability - if Marklin produce and sell a product they should thoroughly test the product before they release it for sale. If this item is not a reliable item, then Marklin should not be selling it. It's just plain business sense.

That's my opinion.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline dickinsonj  
#7 Posted : 21 April 2017 01:52:36(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I don't want to exchange the trains - I want to have the special effect of the doors. We all buy Marklin because it's suppose to be the best quality and reliability.
Regards
Greg

Märklin appears to be having some quality control issues right now judging from my recent experience. Two expensive passenger coach sets arrived with broken interior lighting, which I was at least able to fix myself. My 2016 Insider VT 95.9 railbus only worked for a few weeks. After it failed my CS2 would shut down cold whenever that railbus was present on my layout. It appeared to cause the power supply for the CS2 to stop briefly and restart, even when it was on a booster circuit, which makes no sense to me.

I sent it to the dealer who could not figure out what the problem was either and it is now back at the Märklin repair facility in Germany. He said it is up to Märklin to repair it or replace it and he would let me know what happens. He was waiting for it to arrive so that he could include it with all of the other items he was returning for warranty work, if that is any indication of the prevalence of problems.

Of course my ESU 31089 V200 burned its commutator so badly in 4-5 hours of operation that it would no longer run, so Märklin is not alone in needing to get a better grip on quality control and product testing.

I image it will be a good while before I see that VT 95.9 and trailer again, and that is too bad because it is a beautiful model that I definitely want on my roster again one of these days.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.