Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mwandjm  
#1 Posted : 13 April 2017 03:16:20(UTC)
Mwandjm

United States   
Hi folks,

We found this train car in a box of random items, and was wondering if it's collectible/has any value.

I did some googling and believe it's a Marklin 4872 HO Scale Moha Frankfurt/M.

I'm not familiar with this type of trains - my 4 year old is still into Thomas the Tank engines--but wanted to ask around before he got his hands on it :)

Thanks for any expertise or information you can provide.
image.jpeg
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 13 April 2017 06:22:17(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
This is the Maerklin 4872: http://images.collector-...a656-e091f5975601_00.jpg

The photo you posted looks more like the Spur 1 model from the 59861 set
http://www.ebay.de/itm/M...-neuwertig-/401296377828
The couplings are what gave it away.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Mwandjm  
#3 Posted : 13 April 2017 06:39:50(UTC)
Mwandjm

United States   
Wow, sharp eye!! Thank you so much for responding, I really appreciate it! Yikes, it's selling for a lot of money (although who knows if anyone would actually pay that).

Do you think it'd be worth trying to sell it? I don't have any of the other trains so we can't really use it and I'm definitely not letting my toddler touch it :).

Thanks again!!
Offline GlennM  
#4 Posted : 13 April 2017 11:27:32(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Mwandjm Go to Quoted Post
Wow, sharp eye!! Thank you so much for responding, I really appreciate it! Yikes, it's selling for a lot of money (although who knows if anyone would actually pay that).

Do you think it'd be worth trying to sell it? I don't have any of the other trains so we can't really use it and I'm definitely not letting my toddler touch it :).

Thanks again!!

My toddler (now almost 18) started playing with our G scale when he was 4 years old, with proper supervision, and had his own loco at five.

This is a great age to get them interested. ThumpUp ThumpUp
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline Rwill  
#5 Posted : 13 April 2017 12:05:34(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Yikes, it's selling for a lot of money (although who knows if anyone would actually pay that).

Do you think it'd be worth trying to sell it?

I find that price very reasonable for a gauge 1 wagon - Me I would hang onto it - who knows one day the gauge one bug may bite!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Mwandjm  
#6 Posted : 13 April 2017 13:33:26(UTC)
Mwandjm

United States   
Good to know, Rwill. I'm a total newbie at this. The detail is amazing, and it's definitely in a whole different ballpark compared to any toy at a store. I did notice that there is a railing piece that is cracked so was thinking little hands could cause more damage. So cool that you started young with your child, GlennM! Must make for great bonding time. Thanks again everyone for your expertise everyone!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mwandjm
Offline Markus Schild  
#7 Posted : 13 April 2017 20:55:51(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi all,

This model is not very loved by 1-gauge railroaders. Like at the 4872 Märklin just repainted a regular tank - car as a MOHA - milk car. The original car was a car specially built for MOHA, looking very different.

But the prototype is very interesting. These cars were used for the superior quality milk demanded by the US - forces in Germany. Mostly they ran several hundred kilometers from north-west Germany to Frankfurt were the MOHA diary was. Other cars ran from the same region to Berlin.
Two links in German:
Some notices about the timetable and a map: http://www.db58.de/2013/...ch-frankfurt-sossenheim/

About the car and its use: http://www.awlingen.de/v...agen-tkkmhs-53-der-moha/

Regards

Markus

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Mwandjm  
#8 Posted : 13 April 2017 21:01:01(UTC)
Mwandjm

United States   
That's facinating!! Thanks for all the info, I especially like the second link with the picture of the real train.
Offline GlennM  
#9 Posted : 14 April 2017 14:16:08(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
.......................... So cool that you started young with your child, GlennM! Must make for great bonding time. ........................

Yes it was, many a fun day in the garden, and then onto HO scale Marklin with carpetbahns and later a modest layout which he would often play with after school, we have been going to train events together ever since, including several trips to Europe and Eurospoor and various travels, not to mention numerous exhibitions with 'Mad' Mike Westerman's layout. We have had some great laughs and good times.

People say that young kids have no interest in model trains, I disagree, it is like any hobby involving children, you need to put time and effort in, and you will reap the rewards. ThumpUp ThumpUp
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline Mwandjm  
#10 Posted : 14 April 2017 14:56:14(UTC)
Mwandjm

United States   
GlennM--wow, that sounds amazing. My 4 year old is a train fanatic, and I bet he would love the activities you described. We have piles of train books, and live near the town train station and go and watch the commuter trains in the evenings :). We also took him to a train show a year ago? And all loved the model train displays.

Right now, he only has wooden Thomas the Tank Engine trains. He's also expressed interest in the Playmobil trains, but we don't own any yet. Do you have any recommendations for starter sets or brands for people who are getting started? Thank you!
Offline Purellum  
#11 Posted : 15 April 2017 00:32:58(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
You have been a member since:: 08/11/2005(UTC)
Cool

Do you have any recommendations for starter sets or brands for people who are getting started? Thank you!

Well, I think I know the answer to that question, knowing that this is a Märklin-user forum............ BigGrin

Per.

P.S: This is just the way we usually have fun here. If you were living in Denmark, I would offer you a very simple Märklin starter set for your MOHA-wagon.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 15 April 2017 19:48:29(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Do you have any recommendations for starter sets or brands for people who are getting started? Thank you!

I would suggest one of the Marklin battery powered sets. They have magnetic coupling between wagons so there is no finicky problems with coupling wagons together. The track is a single piece plastic version of C track, and there is quite a range of expansion track pieces available to fill birthdays and Christmases for a few years until he is old enough to go the next stage. There is a wagon with a magnetic coupling one end and a standard Marklin RELEX coupler the other end, so his rolling stock can run on Dads layout. various of the wagons have suitble loads with a lot of potential play value.

See this catalogue for this years items.

[edit] Found this link for the same catalogue in multiple language possibilities. [/edit]
Offline Mwandjm  
#13 Posted : 16 April 2017 02:06:56(UTC)
Mwandjm

United States   
Touché, Purellum!! Sometimes I have to be spoon fed info :).

KiwiAlan, those looks great! My son saw me looking and was very interested. This year's first request to Santa has been made!

Thanks everyone. I'm really pleased to find such a warm community of nice folks. I appreciate all your help!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mwandjm