Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 10 April 2017 18:24:36(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
My layout has two sections -k track and c track. Due to cost and unreliability of turnout motors, I have reduced the number of motors to a minimum. So where we have a station exit track, a passing loop or a "backwards" facing siding there is no motor and a the point is set usually against the main line and runs as what I call a trailing point, To me this works fine. However I was reading a Viessmann instruction leaflet and they seems to want to electrify absolutely everything regardless. now I know they are in business to sell things like decoders etc but is my method regarded as acceptable practice?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2017 19:22:10(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
There's nothing wrong with your method as long as you don't decide to reverse a train that's halfway through a trailing point.

It's a good way to save money and improve reliability.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2017 19:26:00(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I some of the station layout designs I'm playing with there are also some turnouts which only route a loco one way where I don't see the point of having a motor and plan on just keeping the turnout in the one position, and having the locomotive just cut through. In my case, where a decoupled loco runs past the turnout, then back along a track to get to the other end of the train (in an end station).

So if that's not a good practice I'll be interested in learning why it should not be done.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 10 April 2017 20:08:41(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
However I was reading a Viessmann instruction leaflet and they seems to want to electrify absolutely everything regardless.
Trailing points do not work with some turnout motors (servo motors) and with some track systems (mainly two-rail - if you want juiced frogs you have to set the switch to the correct position).

Nothing wrong with trailing points if you don't mind the clack-clack-clack.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 10 April 2017 20:26:32(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
However I was reading a Viessmann instruction leaflet and they seems to want to electrify absolutely everything regardless.
Trailing points do not work with some turnout motors (servo motors) and with some track systems (mainly two-rail - if you want juiced frogs you have to set the switch to the correct position).

Nothing wrong with trailing points if you don't mind the clack-clack-clack.

Great point on the power delivery - a beneficial side effect of Märklin spring-loaded, 3 conductor track - no electrical impact on driving through the points (especially with return loops).
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline rbw993  
#6 Posted : 10 April 2017 21:26:13(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
None of the trailing point turnouts in my storage yards have motors. So that saves close to $800 in motors and decoders for 20 turnouts!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline jcrtrains  
#7 Posted : 11 April 2017 00:08:14(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
My rule is that if I can reach it easily, it doesn't need a motor. I have about 4 that still need motors.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline analogmike  
#8 Posted : 11 April 2017 00:27:55(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
If it works for you and your'e having fun I would call that acceptable practice.
Prototypically speaking it is good practice to go trailing point as much as possible to prevent derailments and to make shunting easier on the main line.

Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline applor  
#9 Posted : 11 April 2017 01:07:27(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I also don't have any motors for the trailing points in my hidden stations. I have also removed the hand levers so that the points don't spring back to position and make all that extra racket.
All visible points have motors though but that is also because they all require motors anyways due to the design.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 11 April 2017 13:27:19(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
.... the point is set usually against the main line and runs as what I call a trailing point, To me this works fine. ..... is my method regarded as acceptable practice?

I remember watching trains shunting as a boy, and running through trailing points (turnouts) set against them was the norm.

Mind you the weighted manual turnout lever normally used by shunting staff to set direction, was bounced backward/forward mercilessly as each wagon went through.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.