Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Michael4  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2017 18:39:17(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Not sure if it qualifies as a collector's item. Apols for asking about value.

I'd like a little guidance, I have been looking for an old version of one of these for some time. Metal, 1950/1960s darkish brown etc.

I have been offered one that looks pretty awful but it is complete and works. It may need new pantographs and their insulators but apart from that it is all there (apart from some paint!).

I'm looking for a well used example. Can you tell me if this is a rare-ish engine? I doubt there are many in the UK so am looking to the rest of the EU. Prices seem to be all over the place, so I'm now wondering what I should be paying... ?
Offline NS1200  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2017 11:48:27(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Please check on www.ebay.de ,search for Marklin 3030 and opt for Sofort Kaufen (=Buying without bidding).
There are many for sale at various prices,nothing rare about it.
A near to new one is costing over Euro 150 and beyond!

Unlike you,i always opt for new or near to new Marklin locomotives and am prepared to pay a higher price for that as compared to buying a scruffy one and having to find the expensive spareparts!
The smallest parts like the roof insulators can cause the biggest headache!
It took me great trouble finding the little plastic roof insulators for a NS electric 1600 series.

Note that even when buying socalled near to new locomotives there is room for error,i recently bought a near to new DB electric class E18 from a very trustworthy Italian seller and upon unpacking found that the very fragile plastic handrails under the frontwindows had been glued on,obviously not a factory job!

Happy hunting!
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2017 11:57:25(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Michael, there's one just come up on Ebay from a seller in Wales. It looks a bit tatty but the price is quite low - £65. It's by far the cheapest I've seen recently.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...cdc00:g:heYAAOSw4YdY0W45

I've been looking for a nice one myself but they are quite expensive usually.

I've even considered buying a Hamo one which seem to be selling for less, and converting it back to 3 rail.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline GNAM  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2017 22:30:43(UTC)
GNAM

France   
Please look at the bottom :

This Locomotive is sold as 'spares or repairs'

The true prices are about € 120/150.

But as for me for this price it's better to buy a reprint Mfx for a little more => purchase a 30301 : http://ho-2-et-3rails.fo...hemins-de-fer-suedois-sj

Gnam
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 02 April 2017 22:44:21(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I have the 30301. It is mFx, a very nice runner and looks great. Cost me US$210 about two years ago..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Dave Banks  
#6 Posted : 03 April 2017 05:10:52(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
And if your living Downunder this is what you will pay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mark...b7577:g:BMgAAOSw6DtYUInX
D.A.Banks
Offline Michael4  
#7 Posted : 03 April 2017 14:31:12(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Thanks for all the replies, I now know how much they should cost...

I have made an offer for the Ebay UK one that Ray found. This may not turn out to be the most sensible thing to do but I enjoy a project!

Will let you know what happens.

Michael
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 03 April 2017 15:02:41(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post

I have made an offer for the Ebay UK one that Ray found. This may not turn out to be the most sensible thing to do but I enjoy a project!

Michael

I was tempted to go for it myself. It looks poor shape, but the body could be stripped down to bare metal and repainted. Actually it may only need a good clean to get it looking presentable.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline cookee_nz  
#9 Posted : 03 April 2017 20:06:47(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Michael

Note that one of the foot-ladders is bent inward, very common on these and happens when they are dropped. As a weak point they are sometimes found broken right off. I have one near pristine as part of a starter set with one missing. Sad

Be VERY careful if you try to straighten it, that metal does not respond well to fatigue.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Michael4  
#10 Posted : 04 April 2017 15:52:12(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Well, it runs and reverses very nicely. Both lights work but do not 'reverse'. There is no manual reversing lever. I wonder if it might be newer than I think? Opening it up will tell.

The pantographs have bent ends that may straighten without breaking and their insulators are a bit of a mess but with work saveable. I might leave the pantographs themselves in Diet Coke overnight...it can work wonders though what it does to your stomach...

All four pantograph springs are missing.

As Cookee says, one of the foot ladders is bent. I will leave it alone so long as I can still remove the cover. Windows need refixing.

Cosmetically it may be no worse than some of my other items. It is quite 'sticky' and needs a gentle wash plus some detail work. Then I can decide what to do next. I think I want to avoid painting too much.

Anyway, now I have a 3030, here it is just as it came out of the parcel.

UserPostedImageDSC02094 by dralowid, on Flickr

Will post updates of remedial work as it happens.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline NS1200  
#11 Posted : 04 April 2017 22:00:23(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
There was also a green version,Marklin 3019.

The Swedish locs shared their wheelset with Marklin 3179 and 3187,the DB series 132.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline cookee_nz  
#12 Posted : 06 April 2017 07:33:51(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Well, it runs and reverses very nicely. Both lights work but do not 'reverse'. There is no manual reversing lever. I wonder if it might be newer than I think? Opening it up will tell.

The pantographs have bent ends that may straighten without breaking and their insulators are a bit of a mess but with work saveable. I might leave the pantographs themselves in Diet Coke overnight...it can work wonders though what it does to your stomach...

All four pantograph springs are missing.

As Cookee says, one of the foot ladders is bent. I will leave it alone so long as I can still remove the cover. Windows need refixing.

Cosmetically it may be no worse than some of my other items. It is quite 'sticky' and needs a gentle wash plus some detail work. Then I can decide what to do next. I think I want to avoid painting too much.

Anyway, now I have a 3030, here it is just as it came out of the parcel.

Will post updates of remedial work as it happens.

Well, I've seen worse, and much of that is simply surface dust. Take the housing off, remove the Panto's, and give it a good clean. The paint on those is fairly rugged so to be honest, I'd put some warm water in the kitchen sink, a little normal detergent and brush it with a soft paintbrush and you'll find it will come up rather well.

Most of the paint damage appears to be around the edges of the roof, so you could always 'weather' those areas just as they would look in real life, even the body if you wanted.

Touch-up the side snow-plows on the trucks, take care of the panto's and it will look a lot better.

That foot ladder would bother me, but only because I would let it!! Blushing I guess a bent one is better than a missing one.

I'm sure there's a technique to straighten it, perhaps very gently a little bit at a time but I'm no expert on the properties of die-cast.

Many years ago I got a "Le Capitole" Loco which had been dropped and the cab roof was noticeably bent over. I ended up carefully placing it in a vice between two blocks of soft wood, angle in such a way that the closing of the vice would acheive the desired correction. Then I very slowly just started adding the pressure, tiny increments. It worked and now I can't even tell which end it was that I straightened.

Of course the cab roof had a lot more metal supporting it so I just had a gut feel that my technique would work ok.

I'm not sure if heat would soften the alloy enough to be able to aid straightening, and whether the required heat might then damage the paint.

Be interested in opinions or experiences of others with this.

Good score all the same, now of course you'll need to get the matching coaches, they make a nice looking train and fortunately you can go for the 4030 & 4031 version to match the 3030 rather than 'needing' to find the 4020 & 4021 for a 3018. BigGrin

Or just go for a nice freight consist instead.

Our Dear Leader will be pleased that you are honouring his homeland and the home of this forum with your choice.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Pmare4  
#13 Posted : 06 April 2017 08:26:13(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

I'm sure there's a technique to straighten it, perhaps very gently a little bit at a time but I'm no expert on the properties of die-cast.

If it helps, I've previously used a pair of pliers to straighten the cab steps on a 3005.

Keep in mind though that if you use this approach, you also run the risk of damaging the loco's paintwork where the force is applied.
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
Offline Michael4  
#14 Posted : 06 April 2017 18:00:26(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
The 'mechanicals' seem in good shape and judging by the plastic moulded side of the motor and style of reversing unit are more 'modern' than I expected.

UserPostedImageDSC02099 by dralowid, on Flickr

A very gentle wash in soapy water has improved things a little. It was filthy. It is now of a similar standard to many of my other locomotives...ie well used!

The brown finish is quite soft and can be removed with too much soap or any solvent/spirit I have tried ( I experimented on the inside). A little 'touching up' will be carried out in due course.

I haven't tried Diet Coke on the pantographs yet and I need to find some springs for them. I assume they are supposed to be bare metal and not black?

The steps have straightened a little. I was fearful of going further.

UserPostedImageDSC02101 by dralowid, on Flickr

Is there a way of dating older locomotives (ie pre serial numbers) by the style of reversing unit and motor?
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline cookee_nz  
#15 Posted : 07 April 2017 12:10:05(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
The 'mechanicals' seem in good shape and judging by the plastic moulded side of the motor and style of reversing unit are more 'modern' than I expected.

A very gentle wash in soapy water has improved things a little. It was filthy. It is now of a similar standard to many of my other locomotives...ie well used!

The brown finish is quite soft and can be removed with too much soap or any solvent/spirit I have tried ( I experimented on the inside). A little 'touching up' will be carried out in due course.

I haven't tried Diet Coke on the pantographs yet and I need to find some springs for them. I assume they are supposed to be bare metal and not black?

The steps have straightened a little. I was fearful of going further.

Is there a way of dating older locomotives (ie pre serial numbers) by the style of reversing unit and motor?

Hi Michael,

The 3030 has basically 6 variants, the original is the 3018 which also goes by the pre-57 numbering system code "GS800" - and this is the only loco that never actually appeared in a catalogue as the GS800

Variant 2 has "3030" molded on the body. The remaining variants are broken down with Pantograph changes etc.

As best I can determine, I believe yours is in the production period 1962 - 1972 because of...

A: The single interior light at each end, so it will have plastic lighting lenses inside the body. Before 1962 they had three individual lamps each end fitted from the outside.

B: Also, assuming they have not been replaced, you have type 8 Pantographs, these are from the period 1960 - 1978 but I think the 3030 changed to type 9 pantographs in 1973 or thereabouts.

C: There is a final identifier to do with the weights on the wheels but I'm not sure of the specific detail on this - someone else with a better grasp of Koll's might be able to clarify. It might need you to post some details photos of the wheels to be sure. All three of mine have externally fitted headlamps so they are before yours.

These are not exact detailed breakdowns of the versions, just snippets to help you date yours. Koll's has more detail but sometimes you actually need either a couple of confirmed variants to compare, or really good detail photos showing the differences, and because Koll's only gives a single side view (and sometimes only in B&W), you have to rely on the exact detail of the text to know for certain how to identify one from another.

Hope this helps

Steve
NZ
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Michael4  
#16 Posted : 07 April 2017 14:37:20(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Steve, this is really useful, many thanks. A ten year 'window' is good enough for me.

I was thinking about starting a thread about how to date the locos that I have and had wondered whether it was worth buying Koll's? Since I shouldn't be buying any more, perhaps not but then I'd be relying on you guys to answer my questions!

Michael
UK (sunny!)
Offline alan  
#17 Posted : 07 April 2017 17:29:40(UTC)
alan

United Kingdom   

i had a look in my boxes and i have come up with these been there for at least 10 years
a bit worried there are 3 bodies but only 2 motors still must be in there somewhere
theres a 3018 3019 3030
just to prove i dont wreck everything i have added a picture of my 3118 boxed set

alan plymouth

DSCF6077.JPGDSCF6078.JPG
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by alan
Offline ixldoc  
#18 Posted : 07 April 2017 23:22:11(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Very nice Alan. Looks like you may have found that lost pair of forceps too.
Cheers,
Howard.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline GNAM  
#19 Posted : 08 April 2017 08:31:34(UTC)
GNAM

France   
UserPostedImage

Märklin 3030 + Roco 30529

GNAM
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by GNAM