Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Huco  
#1 Posted : 31 March 2017 12:25:24(UTC)
Huco

Australia   
Hi all!
I picked up 4 turn outs on eBay that happened to have decoders in them which was unexpected, and pretty exciting! But I'm having a devil of a time trying to get them to work.
They are M track turnouts controlled by a CS 3.
I'm not entirely sure what model the decoders are, and I haven't as yet been able to work out the digital address for them.
I've included a photo of one of them, and as you can see they only appear to have 4 solder bridges.
The closet info I could find seemed to be for the 6073 which I think has 8 bridges.
Any help in working out what the address would be and how to configure it in my CS3 would be wonderfull! BigGrin

IMG_4623.JPG

Edited by user 31 March 2017 23:19:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Huco  
#2 Posted : 31 March 2017 12:54:51(UTC)
Huco

Australia   
Cant seem to upload an image of the decoder from computer into my post?
The obvious insert image button wants a URL?
help please!
Offline Crazy Harry  
#3 Posted : 31 March 2017 19:05:01(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Huco,

Use the paper clip icon to upload your photo, it's two buttons to the right of the one you were trying.

Cheers,

Harold.
Offline Markus Schild  
#4 Posted : 31 March 2017 20:58:18(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Peter,

Märklin sold curved turnouts in the set 2602 and additional straight turnouts (like 5137) in the set 2604. Both turnouts had special decoders with a fixed adress which only can be changed by soldering. The addresses for the straight switches were 255 and 256 (in this case I'm sure). I'm not sure, but I remember the curved turnouts to be 253 and 254.

Regards

Markus

Edit after visible picture: Yes, this is a turnout from 2604. Or from a TRAIN-ING -set. Both are the same. Try 255 or 256.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline Huco  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2017 01:59:03(UTC)
Huco

Australia   
Thanks Harold for the help with photo uploads, it took a while with my slow upload speeds!

Markus, your spot on! Tried the turnouts - all receiving a signal now. However its not strong enough to fully activate the solenoid. Have tried setting the pulse time to the maximum of 5000 that CS3 allows, but still no luck.

A silly question, but is the CS3 supplied power AC or DC? Or is it neither one nor the other when we talk about digital control?
What ever it is, its a lot less than the lighting power output from an analogue transformer that I tried which does switch these points easily!

Cheers guys, anymore suggestions would be great!

Hugh
Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 01 April 2017 02:12:09(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
This is why the Viessmann 5211, a K83 equivalent decoder, with external power source was developed.. It uses a relay to provide a feed to the solenoids that is not track power.. Works great..

Here is some additional info:

- https://ajckids.com/blog/viessmann-5211-turnout-decoder-k-83
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Huco  
#7 Posted : 01 April 2017 02:55:54(UTC)
Huco

Australia   
Thanks XXUP,

I have a stack of M84 decoders, so I guess I need to continue using them instead, as I hook them up to a more powerful transformer lighting supply. Which means I just rip out these decoders and wire the points back up in the original fashion.

Shame, this seems such a neat idea as I wasn't expecting them when they were arrived in the post.
However the voltage is not enough and they are way to unreliable used like thisMellow
Offline Crazy Harry  
#8 Posted : 01 April 2017 03:46:56(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
Huco,

Maybe the solenoid is a bit sticky? Take a look at this video Tutorial - How to Improve Functionality of Turnout Marklin 5202. If you want to try a similar process on your turnout you may be able to get it to switch more reliably with the installed decoder. Otherwise you will have to go with the external decoder as xxup suggested.

Harold.
Offline Tex  
#9 Posted : 01 April 2017 04:13:46(UTC)
Tex

United States   
Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi Peter,

Märklin sold curved turnouts in the set 2602 and additional straight turnouts (like 5137) in the set 2604. Both turnouts had special decoders with a fixed adress which only can be changed by soldering. The addresses for the straight switches were 255 and 256 (in this case I'm sure). I'm not sure, but I remember the curved turnouts to be 253 and 254.

Regards

Markus

Edit after visible picture: Yes, this is a turnout from 2604. Or from a TRAIN-ING -set. Both are the same. Try 255 or 256.

I started with a 2602 digital starter set, it had only two curved turnouts and no straight turnouts. It had two uncoupling tracks also controlled by the Central control Unit. Tex