Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Werner R  
#1 Posted : 28 March 2017 20:12:00(UTC)
Werner R

United States   
Hi All

My MRR is about 190 ft of C Track, CS 2, indoor GPS Positioning System (GamesOnTrack)

The roadbed is 2" thick foam over 1/2" plywood.

I plan a 18 AWG bus line and 22 ga feeder wires for the track power; however, instead of putting the bus underneath the plywood, I want to cut a channel (hot knife) into the foam, wide and deep enough for the bus, and place the channel underneath the actual C track.

But, before I actually do this, I want to hear if somebody already did it - any comments and tips are always welcome

best

Werner R
Offline dominator  
#2 Posted : 28 March 2017 22:27:25(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Would it not be better to be able to get to the wiring by fitting it underneath. If you have twin tracks, you would only need 1 bus wire, with connections going of to each track. Likewise if you have a shunting area with lots of tracks and or a turntable, 1 bus wire can feed all.
Just thinking of practicality for fixing problems or adding extensions/changes later on.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline analogmike  
#3 Posted : 28 March 2017 22:46:51(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Hello Werner,
This may not be a good idea. I would drill through and hang em' underneath. In the future you may need to get at them.Cursing Cursing Cursing
The future is full of surprises.Laugh

Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline Werner R  
#4 Posted : 28 March 2017 22:54:19(UTC)
Werner R

United States   
agree to both of you, hanging it underneath is technically the better solution .....
BUT, if you are 65 years old Wub , crawling underneath and working overhead is not that much fun anymore......
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Werner R
Offline Rwill  
#5 Posted : 28 March 2017 23:13:09(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
One of my favourite threads on this forum describes "Sparrows Shelf Layout" which shows his wiring mainly embedded in the thick foam base, Search Sparrow shelf and have an enjoyable half hour or more reading it.
Offline ixldoc  
#6 Posted : 29 March 2017 00:01:59(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Hi Werner,
I sympathise with your getting under a table and working above you. If you think it is difficult at 65, wait until you are 72.
I tried to get all my undertable wiring done before I hit 70 but towards that time I was using a mechanics creeper. ( getting up off it was fun too!)
Still, the best idea is to run the bus under the table if you can.
Cheers and good luck,
Howard.
Offline analogmike  
#7 Posted : 29 March 2017 02:53:02(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Originally Posted by: Werner R Go to Quoted Post
agree to both of you, hanging it underneath is technically the better solution .....
BUT, if you are 65 years old Wub , crawling underneath and working overhead is not that much fun anymore......

Hello Werner,
I am 53 yrs old and suffer from three collapsed discs. If I go under the layout I'll have to spend the following week on ice.OhMyGod
My present layout was designed with this in mind. When constructing the benchwork I pre-drilled the front board and set it back 3-1/2" from the front edge of the layout creating a chase way for all my wires. A black fascia will be mounted on hinges along the front to close it off. Now when I do wiring I sit on a short stool and work like a gentleman.

Mikey

shy 002.JPGshy 003.JPG
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline Jabez  
#8 Posted : 29 March 2017 03:35:01(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I am past my crawling days too. A thought that came to me in my insomnia is why not wire on the surface like real railroads. Wires could be run from turnouts, signals, etc. parallel to tracks and bunched together through eyelets or pitons screwed into the baseboard. Paint 'em black and they could pass as cable racks. They would have to dive underboard in some places to be led across the line of the tracks to the outside edge where the control buttons or switches are located. But most of the underboard wiring and hence crawling could be eliminated.
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline xxup  
#9 Posted : 29 March 2017 04:31:24(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Yes.. I agree.. You could lay conduits alongside the track or under automotive roadways.. When you need to check or redo wiring, just lift up the road, just like your local Council.. It is certainly possible, but it will require some planing that included consideration for future maintenance..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Thewolf  
#10 Posted : 29 March 2017 15:17:53(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Werner R Go to Quoted Post

Hello Werner,
I am 53 yrs old and suffer from three collapsed discs. If I go under the layout I'll have to spend the following week on ice.OhMyGod
My present layout was designed with this in mind. When constructing the benchwork I pre-drilled the front board and set it back 3-1/2" from the front edge of the layout creating a chase way for all my wires. A black fascia will be mounted on hinges along the front to close it off. Now when I do wiring I sit on a short stool and work like a gentleman.

Mikey

shy 002.JPGshy 003.JPG

Hello Mikey,

I have never thought of making as you. I find it excellent. I am going to verify to see if it is possible to work like that on my layout

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline Werner R  
#11 Posted : 29 March 2017 17:05:48(UTC)
Werner R

United States   
Thank you All!
Amazing the nationalities in this tread: German (me, living in PIT), US, NZ, GB, AUS, BEL, CDN ....absolutely amazingThumpUp

I will probably do a combination of top running plus Mikey's "gentleman way"

Thanks again

Werner
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Werner R
Offline Jabez  
#12 Posted : 29 March 2017 22:55:44(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Yes.. I agree.. You could lay conduits alongside the track or under automotive roadways.. When you need to check or redo wiring, just lift up the road, just like your local Council.. It is certainly possible, but it will require some planing that included consideration for future maintenance..

Indeed, it would require careful planning for future potential problems or self-defeating aspects. I've thought of some of those, but not all, so I just threw it out as an off-the-wall idea without any detailed elaboration. If I ever implement it, partially or fully, then I will report.
Jabez
PS What got me started thinking along these lines is my current 2.8m by 1,2m tabletop (actually augmented desktop) test layout where I try things out for my eventual more permanent layout. There is no 'underboard' access thus there are wires all over the place and I found an easy way to keep them tidy was to group them, where possible, inside offcuts of cable channels that I had lying around, the rubber/plastic cable channels that are used for leading hi-fi speaker or other small cables around the walls of rooms. Big and clunky on an HO layout but better than wire spaghetti, and the principle is there.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline Minok  
#13 Posted : 29 March 2017 23:27:37(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The key is you absolutely must be able to work on the wiring if there is a problem, or to expand/change the layout. Underneath is easiest because most of the wiring is still directly accessible without disturbing the layout, but if that isn't physically realistic, then there's no need to go there. Running it in the foam under the track would require pulling up sections of layout track to access the wiring, if thats ok, go for it. Running beside in chases disguised into the layhout is a compromise - access from above without having to disrupt major layout infrastructure. I like the idea of running a lot of the wiring conduits to the front and hiding them behind a fascia.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134