Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline swamy  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2017 18:02:00(UTC)
swamy

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask if anyone has feedback on MTH Protosound 3e+ locomotives that can run on the Marklin 3 rail AC system (aka Marklin AC Digital). I saw some of these locomotives in action at a train store. I really liked the sound functions and the overall build of the locomotive.

However my primary concern is that the MTH HO locomotives that I checked seem to be using plastic gears for the drive wheel.
Example: http://mthtrains.com/80-2328-5

mth_ho_drive_wheel.png

I have read in many forums that plastic gears wear out really fast (within a couple years) when the locomotive is used on a gradient or if it pulls too many freight cars.

I wanted to check if anyone has used a MTH Protosound 3E+ locomotive and can provide feedback on its long term quality.
(Note: I am not sure if all MTH Protosound 3e+ locomotives use plastic gears. The ones I checked at the train store seemed to have the plastic gears).

Thanking you for your time.

Best Regards,

Swamy
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2017 19:52:13(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: swamy Go to Quoted Post
I have read in many forums that plastic gears wear out really fast (within a couple years) when the locomotive is used on a gradient or if it pulls too many freight cars.
I don't have any MTH locos, but I have Märklin locos from the '70s with plastic cog-wheels, recent Märklin locos with plastic cog-wheels (and plastic axles), Roco and Piko locos with plastic gears.

I remember a TV report about the LOXX in Berlin that showed how they replaced factory-installed plastic cogwheels with specially made metal cogwheels.
I don't think plastic gears are a real issue for private hobby use.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Hackcell  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2017 22:02:21(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
MTH locomotives run well on C and K track. Concerning the wheels, if shouldn't be a major issue to get them replaced by metallic cogwheels.
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline swamy  
#4 Posted : 22 March 2017 07:22:54(UTC)
swamy

Thanks a bunch for your inputs. Really appreciate it.