Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2017 02:04:23(UTC)
Minok

United States   
H0 Scale and average person space to build - it requires compromises often on sizing and scale to reality.
For the train cars, I'm happy to have 1:100 scale cars that can make R1 curves.

For my train station, the room is also restricted, so why use up valuable space just to have more realistic sized station platforms widths vs the narrow ones the model kits provide. Works for me at least.

PlatformCompromises-H0.png

What other areas are compromises being made on sizing ?

Where is 1:87 scale from prototype most critical?

Another area is in towers, such as windmills or tv transmission towers. At real HO scale the TV tower from my city would just dominate the room - so a smaller scale version is acceptable. Another option I may end up going with is putting such landmarks into the photo-background to be stuck to the wall.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline gwolski  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2017 03:10:11(UTC)
gwolski

United States   
Hard truth is that most of us will never have the space, budget, or time to create a full 1:87 replica of a real railroad. Compromises are how we get stuff done - where do we draw the line? How much of a model railroad do we need to model? How much space do we have?

The shorter cars are a great example - we need shorter cars to run on the smaller radius curves on our layouts. Unless, of course, you have access to something larger like a club layout. Boy do I love the look of my ACME and LS Models passenger coaches coupled tightly. They just need some really big curves to run well! I'd love to have a large modern passenger station to accommodate a loco and string of 10-12 these coaches. Not realistic for me, so we shorten the length of the train of already shortened cars and shorten the platforms as well. I still have a passenger platform and will spend the time/budget to add more realism through details. The viewer sees the details and ignores my shortened train.

Another technique many people use is selective compression of a familiar landmark or iconic structure to impart the flavor and feel of the real thing. I love the idea of background photos too! That's a great way to slide the real world into my reduced size model railroad. Look around - there are some very neat techniques to alter structures through selective compression to keep the feel of the original without feeling like it's miniature version instead. I have a paper model of the St Mary's church in Krakow that's basically Z scale - it's huge! I could probably plunk it down next to my HO trains and no one would blink an eye, but it's still way too big for the available real estate. Perhaps having the tops of the towers show over the trees of the Planty while my blue MPK trams run around would impart the flavor I want. Time for another trip for some photos!

I think we can make compromises pretty much anywhere - it's the challenge of the builder to figure out what makes most sense for the scene. What do you want to convey - there are days when I'd be happy with a plain table chock full of track for running, then other days I want one, well detailed scene that reminds me of one of my trips abroad.

I hope I didn't get too far off topic. We did mention shorter cars, selective compression, backgrounds. I think forced perspective is another great technique if well executed. Mirrors are great tools to make a small space appear larger.

As for the question on enforcing scale - I would keep the scenes and trains on the front edge all as close to 1:87, although shortened for operational considerations. The further back or remote on the layout, we can make use of the other techniques more easily. Up front and center should stay scale I think.

Helpful?

Cheers!
Gene Wolski
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by gwolski
Offline applor  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2017 03:53:29(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I think it depends on how much room you have and also how important realism is to you, how far you want to take it.

I am willing to run the 1:93.5 scale Marklin trains but would prefer not to if there was an alternative. Never touching 1:100. the 26.4m coaches in 1:87 look amazing.
My layout will be a reasonable size though and all my lines have realistic curves - no 360mm and the only 424mm radius is for my branch line station and bahnbetriebswerk switches with 64mm spacing.
Of course the spacing of things has to be compressed and my station platforms are about 1.4m (real size 121m) so they are likely shorter than in real life.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2017 08:31:49(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
For my train station, the room is also restricted, so why use up valuable space just to have more realistic sized station platforms widths vs the narrow ones the model kits provide.
In real life there are wide platforms and narrow platforms.
When searching prototypes, we shouldn't look for the wide platforms of old stations. Modern stations or stations with limited space will have narrower platforms (that usually still have to be compromised for typical layouts).

I think I will model a smaller station where the long trains will simply pass through. You can still stop a long passenger train at a red signal even if not all coaches fit the platform.
And in real life there were trains that had scheduled stops at platforms where the final two coaches were beyond the platform and people had to jump.

Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
I am willing to run the 1:93.5 scale Marklin trains but would prefer not to if there was an alternative. Never touching 1:100.
The Märklin dining coaches marked 1:93.5 are usually 1:97.5 (33 mm missing to scale length). That's not far from 1:100.
Use 1:100 or 1:110 if that allows another coach at the platform or use 1:87 and take one coach less - or find an individual compromise.
Good to avoid the 360 mm radius if you want to use scale-length coaches.

It can't be done without compromises - at one place or another.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline waltklatt  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2017 14:32:20(UTC)
waltklatt

United States   
If I may add, that chosing the amount of realism we want is also based on our time and resources without becoming overwhelmed.
More detailing consumes more time and resources and most of us have careers and obligations in life, that it becomes a struggle.
That's my perspective as to why my layout is not too overly detailed. A small 3' x 4' layout from Noch.
I too have a train station(Blausee-Mitholz), but it was designed to be alongside a straight track, and my layout doesn't have a long enough straight.
So the station has been modified for a curve.
Keep Marklining.......
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by waltklatt
Offline Alsterstreek  
#6 Posted : 16 March 2017 15:44:55(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Regarding narrow platforms: Sulzbach (ok, no ICE stop)
6140511983071411sulzbac.jpg
www.drehscheibe-online.de

Eimeldingen (ok, ICE is not stopping here)
34253339.jpg
www.badische-zeitung.de

Augsburg, platform #1 (ICE is stopping here)
1klasse1.jpg1klasse2.jpg
www.architekturforum-augsburg.de
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 16 March 2017 18:21:36(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Regarding narrow platforms:

Let no one tell you you cannot have platforms that narrow -for sure. And even that a signal is in the wrong place (this one hadn't yet been relocated for the recently built commuter platform, due to permitting reasons).

Capture.PNG

In my case, as I'll be running loco + 3 car passenger trains, the narrower and shorter platforms should work well. Reading what others trade off willingly for what they value most is very interesting. Indeed, the only thing that matters is what matters to the modeler; what other modelers and observers feel is meaningless.

Forced perspective and mirrors are a tricky thing to use, since so much of the success of such an illusion depends on the position of the viewer.
For certain, when aiming to provide good photography options, where one controls the lighting and camera position, those techniques can work wonders.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline baggio  
#8 Posted : 17 March 2017 02:15:47(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I love the pictures in this discussion. BigGrin

Does anyone have pictures of the INSIDE of a real Ice Train?

Offline Roland  
#9 Posted : 17 March 2017 03:11:38(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
I love the pictures in this discussion. BigGrin

Does anyone have pictures of the INSIDE of a real Ice Train?

Google is your friend, plenty to be found if you search :)
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Roland
Offline baggio  
#10 Posted : 17 March 2017 04:10:30(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Roland Go to Quoted Post
Google is your friend, plenty to be found if you search :)

Touche', Roland. BigGrin

Well, then, see what I found - and pay attention to the ...red button!

Ice Train - the real one
Offline Minok  
#11 Posted : 17 March 2017 04:40:38(UTC)
Minok

United States   
If you sit at the front you can watch the engineer/operator drive.

IMG_5547.JPG
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline Roland  
#12 Posted : 17 March 2017 18:12:14(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
For me, DB passenger trains are the main focus as I plan/build my layout as they're what I used to watch most while train watching as a child. I wanted station platforms that could accommodate my extended ICE and other 6-8 car trains as well as slim turnouts anywhere visible. For platform width I also wanted something a bit wider so my tracks surrounding platforms are separated by 2207 which allows for a decent platform width.

As a result, my Hauptbahnhof takes up a significant portion of my layout but I'm absolutely fine with that. It all comes down to personal preference. I would love to have an area for farmland but I have to sacrifice somewhere!
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Roland
Offline Minok  
#13 Posted : 17 March 2017 22:34:26(UTC)
Minok

United States   
my tracks surrounding platforms are separated by 2207 which allows for a decent platform width

Can you clarify what this means? I'm assuming 2207 is the 156mm straight track, but I'm not sure how its dimensions are employed on your track/platform spacing.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Roland  
#14 Posted : 18 March 2017 00:39:21(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
my tracks surrounding platforms are separated by 2207 which allows for a decent platform width

Can you clarify what this means? I'm assuming 2207 is the 156mm straight track, but I'm not sure how its dimensions are employed on your track/platform spacing.

Hi Minok,

Here's what I mean:

UserPostedImage

The spacing is roughly 95mm between the center of the tracks so my platforms will be approximately 65mm in width.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Roland
Offline PJMärklin  
#15 Posted : 19 March 2017 07:06:19(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
If you sit at the front you can watch the engineer/operator drive.

You sure can!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Regards,

PJ
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Jabez  
#16 Posted : 25 March 2017 06:14:15(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I suppose the biggest compromise of all is track curve radius. With present day mainline radii in the order of Km then an HO model ICE would require radii in the order of tens of meters instead of 0.65m which is M R5, even R9 is only about 1.1m.
Next house I buy will have an indoor football pitch for my uncompromising HO layoutBigGrin
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jabez
MinokH0
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 25 March 2017 07:24:20(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
With present day mainline radii in the order of Km then an HO model ICE would require radii in the order of tens of meters instead of 0.65m which is M R5, even R9 is only about 1.1m.
Some freight locos could handle the R9 radius, passenger trains would not take such sharp curves in real life.

The minimum radius depends on the speed. The radii used for high-speed lines are much larger than the radii used near main stations.

1000 m between distant signal and home signal or 3000 m braking distance are also challenging for H0 modellers.
Along with the curves these are areas where I have to accept compromises.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline baggio  
#18 Posted : 25 March 2017 13:18:18(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I LOVE that picture of kissing Ice Trains, P.J.! BigGrin ThumpUp

Where was it taken?
Offline PJMärklin  
#19 Posted : 26 March 2017 05:08:10(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Where was it taken?

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Minok  
#20 Posted : 26 March 2017 05:59:49(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Someplace south or west if Frankfurt aM. I'm guessing.
And modern station. Mannheim doesn't look like that though.

ICE 772 Franz Kruckenberg
Basel SBB
Mannheim - Frankfurt(M)
Kassel-Wilhelmshöhe - Hannover

Hamburg-Altona
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline PJMärklin  
#21 Posted : 26 March 2017 07:41:14(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Frankfurt ....... I'm guessing.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#22 Posted : 26 March 2017 07:45:53(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Last time I was in Germany, I did not travel through the Fernverkehr station at the Rhein-Main Airport during daytime. That would be my guess for the place where the photo was taken.
Look here:
http://www.railfaneurope...hof/Frankfurt__M__FF.jpg
http://www.railfaneurope...t/Fernbahnhof/FRA-mt.jpg
http://www.railfaneurope...bahnhof/airail2000_a.jpg

@Minok, the train probably heads from the Airport to Frankfurt (Main) HBF and from there to Kassel and then on to Hamburg. I don't think that trains from Ffm to Kassel would be routed via the airport as that would be quite a detour from the main ICE routes.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline PJMärklin  
#23 Posted : 26 March 2017 07:55:12(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Mannheim doesn't look like that though.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Offline PJMärklin  
#24 Posted : 26 March 2017 08:08:58(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Last time I was in Germany, I did not travel through the Fernverkehr station at the Rhein-Main Airport during daytime. That would be my guess for the place where the photo was taken.
Look here:

@Minok, the train probably heads from the Airport to Frankfurt (Main) HBF and from there to Kassel and then on to Hamburg. I don't think that trains from Ffm to Kassel would be routed via the airport as that would be quite a detour from the main ICE routes.

Regards

Mike C

Hello Mike, well found.

UserPostedImage

Yes, Frankfurt Airport and very convenient, as is the Hotel at the station if in reverse you train in and fly out home to Oz.

Regards,

PJ
Offline Minok  
#25 Posted : 26 March 2017 21:51:00(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Look here:

Regards

Mike C

Indeed. I knew Mannheim and Basel didn't look like that as they are all older outdoors only stations. Frankfurt Hbf also Is an older hall terminal station and doesn't look like that. So a stop along the route that isn't one of them major stops was likely. Frankfurt Flughafen seems like the candidate as it has no major stops between it and Frankfurt aM and it's an airport modern station. I'd never been in the airport rail station as my trips had me coming/going by car from the airport.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Minok  
#26 Posted : 26 March 2017 21:54:43(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
Frankfurt ....... I'm guessing.

UserPostedImage

It's not Frankfurt aM Hbf as the sign indicate is the next major stop after leaving the station your presently in. It's a station before one gets to Frankfurt aM.

And the main Frankfurt station is a terminus station and is very old and under a roof looking nothing like this station.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline Jabez  
#27 Posted : 28 March 2017 00:23:48(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Just a memory of Frankfurt Flughafen up above the tracks. About 25 yrs ago I was waiting there for my connecting flight to Brussels when the next departure clattered up on the board, St Petersburg. That's funny I thought, a direct flight from Frankfurt to St. Petersburg Fl. Then the penny dropped, it was to what had been for so long Leningrad. That was the moment when I really knew that the USSR had gone for good.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline Minok  
#28 Posted : 28 March 2017 01:28:13(UTC)
Minok

United States   
would not fit on my layout in H0 scale, even with the whole house to use....

Capture.PNG
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok