Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Online fossie  
#1 Posted : 15 March 2017 12:10:29(UTC)
fossie

United Kingdom   
Dear all

My marklin 36242 br24 steam locomotive suddenly runs vey fast in one direction only. It can't be slowed or reversed. All the lights and sounds work. I opened the model up and could smell a burning smell from the decoder. I have tried to reseat it to is daughter board and the problem still occurs. The decoder part number is 194194.
Does anyone know of another manufacture of decoder I can use eg plug it in to the daughter board. or will I have to send the model back to Marklin for repair.

Thanks

Andy
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 15 March 2017 13:13:55(UTC)
H0

Hi, Andy!
Originally Posted by: fossie Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know of another manufacture of decoder I can use eg plug it in to the daughter board
Märklin (MSD), ESU (V4 M4), Zimo, maybe more.

But with those generic decoders, you will have to upload the correct sound (some dealers will do that if you ask them) and you will have to configure the decoder (can be done with a Central Station, but will be tedious with a Mobile Station 2).

Judging by your question I assume you do not have much experience with installing/configuring sound decoders.
So either try it, learn it, and save same money - or send the loco for repair.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Online fossie  
#3 Posted : 15 March 2017 16:14:19(UTC)
fossie

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Andy!
Does anyone know of another manufacture of decoder I can use eg plug it in to the daughter board
Märklin (MSD), ESU (V4 M4), Zimo, maybe more.

But with those generic decoders, you will have to upload the correct sound (some dealers will do that if you ask them) and you will have to configure the decoder (can be done with a Central Station, but will be tedious with a Mobile Station 2).

Judging by your question I assume you do not have much experience with installing/configuring sound decoders.
So either try it, learn it, and save same money - or send the loco for repair.

Hi tom

Thanks for your reply.... I want a decoder that plugs in via the 21 pin interface on the daughter board as this contains the rear led lights and wires to the motor... Etc.... No soldering. I was thinking of buying the marklin decoder p/n 60975 as this has the interface and has the steam sounds. Do you think this will be suitable to plug in and use?.

Thanks

Andy
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 15 March 2017 16:45:17(UTC)
H0

Do you think this will be suitable to plug in and use?
You can plug the decoder in and the loco should drive with lights and sound if just the old decoder is damaged.

Some configuration work may be necessary to get the correct number of chuffs per rotation &c.

I don't know if there is a specific BR 24 sound project that can be uploaded to 60975 decoder and which differences exist between the BR 24 sound and the generic 60975 sound.

Long story short: it should run. Fine-tuning can be postponed.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Online fossie  
#5 Posted : 17 March 2017 16:45:23(UTC)
fossie

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Do you think this will be suitable to plug in and use?
You can plug the decoder in and the loco should drive with lights and sound if just the old decoder is damaged.

Some configuration work may be necessary to get the correct number of chuffs per rotation &c.

I don't know if there is a specific BR 24 sound project that can be uploaded to 60975 decoder and which differences exist between the BR 24 sound and the generic 60975 sound.

Long story short: it should run. Fine-tuning can be postponed.

Dear all

Thanks for your reply son this. Does any one know how long Marklin warranty lasts. The model was purchased from modellbahn lippie on the 23/10/13. If it is 5 years then I am going to return it to marklin to repair.

Thanks

Andy

Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 17 March 2017 18:43:57(UTC)
H0

The warranty is 5 years for MHI items from the past few years, including this one.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage