Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jcrtrains  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2017 17:43:09(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
I have decided to take the plunge. I spent some quality time at Mike's ( Westend Trains ) this morning and have a good selection of items to start the great catenary project. An additional order of experimenting pieces inluding cross spans has also been placed. Below are a few of the different types of acquisitions.

IMG_0049.JPG
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline baggio  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2017 23:56:18(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I am very happy for you that you decided to take the plunge. I am sure you will enjoy putting it together and running trains that way.

Goes without saying that once it's done, it will be time for another open house. ThumpUp

Silvano

P.S. If you run a train via the catenary, does it matter if it's AC or DC? Somehow, I think it does, but I would like to know for sure.
Offline Armando  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2017 03:06:50(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post
I have decided to take the plunge. I spent some quality time at Mike's ( Westend Trains ) this morning and have a good selection of items to start the great catenary project. An additional order of experimenting pieces inluding cross spans has also been placed. Below are a few of the different types of acquisitions.

IMG_0049.JPG

Hi Mike,

Congratulations!
However, if you are running digital it might be best not to energize the catenary, and have the trains pick up the power from it, as per Märklin's recommedations.

Best regards,
Armando García

Offline baggio  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2017 05:04:30(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post
However, if you are running digital it might be best not to energize the catenary, and have the trains pick up the power from it, as per Märklin's recommedations.

So, if I understand this, in digital, the power comes from the track as usual, the catenary is there only for a show, while in analogue the catenary is actually what powers the train?
Offline Roland  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2017 05:58:49(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post

So, if I understand this, in digital, the power comes from the track as usual, the catenary is there only for a show, while in analogue the catenary is actually what powers the train?

With "3-rail" digital, locos can receive power from either the "3rd rail" or catenary. The outer rails are always your ground. But as Armando stated, with a digital layout, Marklin doesn't recommend locos receiving power from the catenary.

And with your 2-rail, one rail provides power while the other is the ground.
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Roland