Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SteamNut  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2017 12:51:32(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I want to make some loads for my flat cars consisting of steel pipes, black and galvanized. Here in the US when I go to a plumbing supplier they come in 10 foot sections with thread protectors or 21 foot sections with couplings on the one end. This would be true up to 4 inch inside diameter pipe which would be the largest pipe on the load - Fred
Offline Unholz  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2017 16:17:57(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
You mean the length of the prototype pipes? I think 6 or 12 meters are standard.
Offline Purellum  
#3 Posted : 11 March 2017 17:00:40(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Maybe you should read the Government Pipe Specifications first:

Government Pipe Specifications

---

1. All pipe is to be made of a long hole, surrounded by metal or plastic, centered around the hole.

2. All pipe is to be hollow throughout the entire length -- do not use holes of different length than the pipe.

3. The ID (Inside Diameter) of all pipe must not exceed their OD (Outside Diameter) -- otherwise the hole will be on the outside.

4. The pipe is to be supplied with nothing in the hole, so that water, steam or other stuff can be put inside at a later date.

5. All pipe is to be supplied without rust; this can be more readily applied at the job site. (NOTE: Some vendors are now able to supply pre-rusted pipes. If available in your area, this product is recommended as it will save a great deal of time at the job site.)

6. All pipe over 500ft (150m) in length should have the words "LONG PIPE" clearly painted on each side and end, so the contractor will know it's a long pipe.

7. Pipe over 2 miles (3.2km) in length must also have the words "LONG PIPE" painted in the middle so the contractor will not have to walk the entire length of the pipe to determine whether it is a long or short pipe.

8. All pipe over 6ft (1.83m) in diameter must have the words "LARGE PIPE" painted on it, so the contractor won't mistake it for a small pipe.

9. Flanges must be used on all pipe. Flanges must have holes from bolts that are quite separate from the big holes in the middle.

10. When ordering 90 or 30 degree elbows, be sure to specify left-hand or right-hand, otherwise you will end up going the wrong way.

11. Be sure to specify to your vendor whether you want level, uphill or downhill pipe. If you use downhill pipe for going uphill, the water will flow the wrong way.

12. All couplings should have either right-hand or left-hand threads, but do not mix the threads. Otherwise, as the coupling is being screwed on to one pipe, it is being unscrewed from the other.

13. All pipes shorter than 1/8in (3mm) are very uneconomical in use, requiring many joints. They are generally known as washers.

14. Joints in pipes for water must be watertight. Those pipes for compressed air, however, need only be airtight.

15. Lengths of pipes may be welded or soldered together. This method is not recommended for concrete or earthenware pipes.

16. Other commodities are often confused with pipes. These include; Conduit, Tube, Tunnel, and Drain. Use only genuine pipes.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline ROBMODEL  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2017 17:55:20(UTC)
ROBMODEL

Netherlands   
Standard pipelengths are: up to and including 4inches 6 and 12 meters above 4inches 6 meters. regards Rob
Offline SteamNut  
#5 Posted : 11 March 2017 19:47:02(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Originally Posted by: ROBMODEL Go to Quoted Post
Standard pipelengths are: up to and including 4inches 6 and 12 meters above 4inches 6 meters. regards Rob

That is what I expected. I could make a load of copper tubing, however the flat cat would be empty as it would have fallen off somewhere.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 11 March 2017 21:40:22(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
The great thing about standards is that there are so many to chose from.

Pipes in Europe are 87 times longer than the ones on your Märklin goods cars.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 12 March 2017 00:08:43(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post

That is what I expected. I could make a load of copper tubing, however the flat cat would be empty as it would have fallen off somewhere.

In the UK it would have been filched by the metal thieves ... BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline SteamNut  
#8 Posted : 12 March 2017 02:33:42(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post

In the UK it would have been filched by the metal thieves ... BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

In Brooklyn New York they say it fell off the truck.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline xxup  
#9 Posted : 12 March 2017 02:50:24(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
In Western Sydney they say that the truck fell off the pipe..Scared
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Wildrose-Wally  
#10 Posted : 12 March 2017 05:01:29(UTC)
Wildrose-Wally

Canada   
In Russia the pipe drives the truck. Glare
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Wildrose-Wally
Offline DaleSchultz  
#11 Posted : 12 March 2017 16:55:05(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Another thing to consider is that for any load of pipes, they are likely to be 1m longer than the available goods wagons.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz