Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ross  
#1 Posted : 07 March 2017 23:19:37(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi All,

I read Costas article with interest and very much liked the detail that Costas went to for his locomotive upgrade.

Costas Article

I thought I should include how I did the conversions using a different decoder, a LokPilot V4.0 and adding LED lights.

Ross' Article

The notable difference between the two conversion methods is I didn't have to alter the magnet from the 60941 motor kit.
The Relex couplers were upgraded to close couplers for better double heading running.
I had planned to add cabin lights but because there are no interior details I didn't add the feature.
Costas red lights were a nice feature which I may revisit when I upgrade the decoders in my crocodiles in the near future.

I hope you enjoy the extra information on converting crocodile locomotives.
Ross
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Ross
Offline ktsolias  
#2 Posted : 08 March 2017 10:10:47(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi Ross

Is an excellent job like all your jobs...

Very well documented to.

But a question about the motor magnet.

The body of the 3652 is exactly the same with the 3352 why you did't have the problem with the 60941 magnet????

Are you using your Locos only in big radius turns (R3 ++).

For sure in R1 and only in Left turns there is a problem

This problem is mentioned and from other people when they did the same conversion and by Märklin itself with the use of the special magnet.

Costas
Offline Ross  
#3 Posted : 09 March 2017 01:38:53(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Costas,

Thanks for your liking my documentation.

Your question is a good one re milling the magnet. I have done six crocodiles and haven't had to mill the magnet at all. The locos all run on R1 (360 R) curves in both directions without problems.
To confirm this I had a look at all my crocodiles to ensure I hadn't milled the magnets as these conversions were done some time ago.

All I can suggest is Märklin may have changed the tooling to improve the turning movement.

I do note that on your conversion the choke is very close to the milled area on the magnet (see Choke position 1) and some of the wires are in that area also which may restrict the turning movement. In the second photo (Choke position 2) the choke is mounted further away from the milled area, but since your locomotive runs well you have done enough milling to suit your case.

Choke position 1
Choke position 1

Choke position 2
Choke position 2

I also note that you have used Märklin wires which are thicker where I have used ESU wires that are thinner so this may also contribute to less space for movement.

I think the bottom line here is if the movement is restricted look at things that may restrict movement, change the arrangement of components and as a last resort mill as little as possible to improve the turning movement.

Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
Hi Ross

Is an excellent job like all your jobs...

Very well documented to.

But a question about the motor magnet.

The body of the 3652 is exactly the same with the 3352 why you did't have the problem with the 60941 magnet????

Are you using your Locos only in big radius turns (R3 ++).

For sure in R1 and only in Left turns there is a problem

This problem is mentioned and from other people when they did the same conversion and by Märklin itself with the use of the special magnet.

Costas

Ross
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 09 March 2017 07:56:11(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
The locos all run on R1 (360 R) curves in both directions without problems.
R1 is not the smallest radius in the Märklin world.
Maybe the grinding is needed for the "industrial" curves of M track and K track only.

According to your experience the grinding is not needed for C track users and for K and M track with R1 and larger. Good to know.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 10 March 2017 03:23:21(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ross Go to Quoted Post
The locos all run on R1 (360 R) curves in both directions without problems.
R1 is not the smallest radius in the Märklin world.
Maybe the grinding is needed for the "industrial" curves of M track and K track only.

According to your experience the grinding is not needed for C track users and for K and M track with R1 and larger. Good to know.

Exactly! That is very good to know, especially since I now run only on C track.

Both threads have been a tremendous help to me as I finally get closer to having the time to start the upgrade project on my ancient 3056 Croc. Märklin is still selling models with this same motor today - think about that for a moment! But with a 5 pole commutator and modern electronics they run very well IMO and make excellent upgrade candidates.

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.