Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline akerstdi  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2017 02:04:31(UTC)
akerstdi

United States   
Hello all,
I have a few Questions for anyone who has used MTH locos before. I already had a question answered by BrandonVA(thank you very much BrandonThumpUp ), but I don't want to harass him too much. So here we go.....

1. Has anyone used an out of the box MTH loco with a 72442 Braking Module? If so, did the Loco accelerate and decelerate correctly.

2. Has anyone put a Marklin or ESU decoder and/or Marklin or ESU sound decoder in a MTH Loco? Does Marklin or ESU even have a correct sound file for these American Diesels. EX. Dash-9, GP35, GP38-2, ES44AC, ect.....

I ask these questions because my layout doesn't have a radius under R2, which gives me the ability to run any of the MTH Diesel Locos. While I absolutely LOVEWub European trains, I grew up about 500m from the main CSX North/South Line in central Virginia. So I do have a certain affinity to American Diesel Locos. Any and all Information would be appreciated!!

Cheers,
Doran
Offline foumaro  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2017 04:43:56(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I do not have MTH locomotives,a friend have two of them.They are running and accelarate and decelarate with perfect way in my layout.There are some problems with the lanterns of the layout,the locomotives are braking them so we are running them only on straight sections.I am using CS2 with k83 decoders,7039,7040,7041 signals and 72441 braking modules.The sounds of the locomotives are amazing.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 06 March 2017 14:53:13(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: akerstdi Go to Quoted Post

2. Has anyone put a Marklin or ESU decoder and/or Marklin or ESU sound decoder in a MTH Loco? Does Marklin or ESU even have a correct sound file for these American Diesels. EX. Dash-9, GP35, GP38-2, ES44AC, ect.....

Well, you can select from a wide range of sound files on the ESU Web Site. If you are lucky the files you want may have been converted to the 'Full Throttle' capability that allows you to change the engine sound without changing the loco speed in a manner that reflects the US style of loco driving.

Go to Downloads/LoksoundV4. Note that the sounds can be loaded into a Loksound M4 to get mfx if you want to use that.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 06 March 2017 15:36:51(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: akerstdi Go to Quoted Post

Well, you can select from a wide range of sound files on the ESU Web Site. If you are lucky the files you want may have been converted to the 'Full Throttle' capability that allows you to change the engine sound without changing the loco speed in a manner that reflects the US style of loco driving.

Go to Downloads/LoksoundV4. Note that the sounds can be loaded into a Loksound M4 to get mfx if you want to use that.

you'll find the North American sound files on that ESU website as Alan indicated

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline blid  
#5 Posted : 06 March 2017 17:11:28(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
I have a number of MTH OneGauge engines and cars and am very pleased with them. That is why I went for their 3-rail H0 engines when they became available. Unfortunately the quality of the 3-rail H0 seems to be a lottery.

About your questions: I don’t have braking modules, but foumaro has answered that. He also warned you about the turnout lanterns on the R2 turnouts. OK for the shorter GP35s and F3/F7. The lanterns on the slim turnouts are OK on my layout. However I had to take down the pilot (front and back) on the SD70ACe just a little. For the Daylight it was a lot. The studs of some of my slim turnouts were too high for them. Sometimes the MTH engines get stuck on turnouts. Sometimes just loss of and restart of the sound, sometimes a short.

I can’t see why anyone would like to replace the MTH 3E+ decoder. I don’t think it will be a straight forward replacement. To me it looks like the MTH decoder is supported by other boards for speed control, lights etc.

I don't have a picture of a H0 PS3E+ decoder, but this is a OneGauge PS2 for a Dash 8 before I upgraded to PS3.
P1030869.JPG

OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by blid
Offline Nielsenr  
#6 Posted : 06 March 2017 17:53:24(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
I have about 66 individual MTH HO locos. Most I have gotten at some very good prices. I have not tried braking modules with them. Mike Wolf of MTH visits a train store in Miami occasionally and I have intended to go and talk to him when he is there to ask about whether the MTH decoders would respond to a braking module but I haven't done it yet.

As already mentioned, you do have to be careful with some of the SD70s and the GS4 Daylight loco and the studs on the wide radius turnouts. And yes, the fuel tanks of the diesels will catch on turnout lanterns. But I find they do run well and the sound is very good. And I like that they all run at a scale speed. It makes it very easy to double head locos (or triple, quadruple head).

I have also recently picked up a few O gauge Premiere MTH locos that include DCC. Very nice locos.

I too am not sure why you would want to swap out the decoder. I have been inside some of the locos and although it could be done, I don't think it is real straight forward to do it.

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline Hackcell  
#7 Posted : 07 March 2017 18:22:40(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
I do have 7 MTH loks and I'm happy with it. I can't make them stop using Märklin or Viessmann braking modules. I'll give a try with a dcc-bitswitch zero packet generator once I have an extra booster to test.
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!