Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harryv40  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2017 11:53:23(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi Guys

I have my thick head on today and I hope you can advise me.

If digital locos are left on the track, the power still goes to the decoder but the loco does not move, therefore do I need to install sections of isolated track on the sidings for them, if so how do you wire it? Or because the layout is only powered during the time I am running my locos I don't need to worry?

I sure the long term digital users will be able to help me, I didn't worry when I used N gauge just throw the point switch, but because all the Marklin c track is live should I play safe!

Regards
Harry
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2017 12:19:33(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Harry,

The digital decoders do not use very much power when they are not powering the loco motors or the lights, so it is quite safe to leave a few of them that are not running in non-isolated sidings.

If you have many locos you may want to install isolating switches, or keep them in a roundhouse or sidings accessed via a tuntable or transfer table which automatically isolates the sidings not in use.

I've had up to 10 locos on the layout with only one or two running at a time and I've had no problem.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline PeFu  
#3 Posted : 27 February 2017 13:00:51(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
On my previous layout, I had some sidings where it was possible to switch power on/off with a decoder. Never used them. The only real reason IMHO could be trains with car lights, but it will be nicer to install a decoder in the car itself. For the new layout, I plan only one track where it will be possible to switch power on/off: The track for manual (man-hand) configurarion of trains, and the purpose is to avoid short-circuits.
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline baggio  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2017 14:42:45(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Harry:

When you say "safe", are you referring to leaving the system "ON" and going to bed?

If the answer to the above question is "YES", then my suggestion is "DON'T".

Make sure you shut the power off from the wall outlet when you are not using the layout, perhaps by using an extension cord with a switch.

This is important.

Regards.

Silvano
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 27 February 2017 15:05:57(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
correct there is no need to isolate tracks for digital use.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Harryv40  
#6 Posted : 27 February 2017 15:08:37(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi Everyone
Many thanks for the replies.
I thought it would be a waste of time and money but I felt I better check. I normally disconnect the ms2 and power from the control box anyway.

Many thanks again
Harry
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Harryv40
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 28 February 2017 21:51:21(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The only thing you would accomplish by shutting off power to a segment of track with a parked loco is saving a small amount of power and then having to re-enable that segment before you can drive that loco, which may incur overhead in booting the decoder on the loco itself. I really don't see the point; when one is done with using the layout, you power down the whole layout, right?

The question has a bit of the feel of "how can I power down the bulbs behind the satnav button on my dashboard because I hardly use the satnav". Seems like adding additional complexity for no significant gain.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline baggio  
#8 Posted : 28 February 2017 22:37:14(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
The only thing you would accomplish by shutting off power to a segment of track with a parked loco is saving a small amount of power...

What about if you have wagons with lights on? Would it be worth it to save power to use on the trains you are running?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline PMPeter  
#9 Posted : 28 February 2017 23:07:23(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
The only thing you would accomplish by shutting off power to a segment of track with a parked loco is saving a small amount of power...

What about if you have wagons with lights on? Would it be worth it to save power to use on the trains you are running?

Depends on whether you have old incandescent type bulbs or modern LEDs. With the old bulbs I agree you would use up precious digital power, but with the LEDs it most likely wouldn't be worth the effort.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline baggio  
#10 Posted : 01 March 2017 04:16:40(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post

Depends on whether you have old incandescent type bulbs or modern LEDs. With the old bulbs I agree you would use up precious digital power, but with the LEDs it most likely wouldn't be worth the effort.

One has to also consider the wear and tear of the wagon lights themselves. Staying on for hours and hours when parked would not be good.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline Roland  
#11 Posted : 01 March 2017 05:31:15(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post

One has to also consider the wear and tear of the wagon lights themselves. Staying on for hours and hours when parked would not be good.

For older bulbs yes, but for LEDs, they are generally rated for tens of thousands of hours so you would have to leave them on 24x7 for several years straight to burn them out. Your MS/CS would surely die well before your LED bulbs LOL
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Roland
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 01 March 2017 08:12:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Roland Go to Quoted Post
For older bulbs yes, but for LEDs, they are generally rated for tens of thousands of hours so you would have to leave them on 24x7 for several years straight to burn them out.
If a lamp is specified for 10,000 hours this means that you have a 50% chance that the lamp will still have 50% of the initial brightness after 10,000 hours.

White LEDs have a filter that deteriorates over time and the white light will change its hue. I've seen that change with LEDs we use in our house, but haven't noticed any changes with my models.

LEDs last very long, but some may want to have unpowered tracks to have the lights off.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Dreadnought  
#13 Posted : 01 March 2017 14:52:50(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I have several isolated sections on my layout. The two main lines are isolated, as is the "branch line". Each siding is also isolated. Each track through the station is also isolated. It is not very difficult to do, though takes some time. I use the Marklin manual on / off switches

If there is a short, derailment, I can cut power to that section, and the other trains can still run while I fix the problem. One of my locomotives will "ghost run" when parked. This prevents that. I can switch the power off to the entire layout, and leave inly the programming track live. I like using my "staging " track without power when putting cars or locomotives on the track. My clumsiness in doing so can cause shorts on a live track.

some of my older tin plate cars have the old lighting kits. I notice the power they take if parked. Being able to turn off that siding helps.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 01 March 2017 15:03:46(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post
One of my locomotives will "ghost run" when parked.
Sometimes the "ghost runner" will press against a bumper for hours until the motor is hot and FUBAR. Those locos are another reason to turn the power off.

Same goes for duplicate addresses. If you have several older Märklin E 69 you may want to have all but one in an unpowered section while running one of them.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Roland  
#15 Posted : 01 March 2017 16:13:53(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Roland Go to Quoted Post
For older bulbs yes, but for LEDs, they are generally rated for tens of thousands of hours so you would have to leave them on 24x7 for several years straight to burn them out.
If a lamp is specified for 10,000 hours this means that you have a 50% chance that the lamp will still have 50% of the initial brightness after 10,000 hours.

White LEDs have a filter that deteriorates over time and the white light will change its hue. I've seen that change with LEDs we use in our house, but haven't noticed any changes with my models.

LEDs last very long, but some may want to have unpowered tracks to have the lights off.

I'm actually one of those who would prefer to have lights off but only for the realism factor when cars are parked in a siding (or shadow station). I was looking into the what others have done a few months ago and read that (at least at this point in time) the CS has an issue with re-detecting locos parked on these tracks when power is restored. Apparently the loco has to go through the registration process again. Just something to consider when deciding how to approach this decision.

Also, just for anyone who is using this thread to make a decision, the 10,000 hour example is low. LEDs are generally rated between 20,000-100,000 hours, which at the bottom end (20k hours) equates to leaving your layout on for 24x7 for well over two years straight. In more realistic terms, you could run your layout (with the lower end LEDs) for 3 hours a day every single day for 18 years straight and could then expect the LED to run at 50% initial brightness.

The factors I considered were:
-How important the realism factor is to me
-Cost of hardware to control power
The power consumption and longevity of LEDs wasn't a concern.

In the end, the decision is yours. Just wanted to share the info I found while trying to make the decision for myself.

Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post
I have several isolated sections on my layout. The two main lines are isolated, as is the "branch line". Each siding is also isolated. Each track through the station is also isolated. It is not very difficult to do, though takes some time. I use the Marklin manual on / off switches

Hi Dreadnought, can you share your experience when re-enabling power to your isolated sidings? Do you experience re-registration delays and what device are you using to control your layout?
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
Offline Dreadnought  
#16 Posted : 01 March 2017 16:33:34(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Hello Roland,

I use a CS 2. I have my MS 2 plugged into it. I also use my iPad and the Marklin app. (The app needs to be updated, please Marklin) I use one of the old white analog transformers for auxiliary power, for switches, and platform lighting (yellow wiring). NOT connected to the track, red wiring. All use a common ground (brown wire)

I have never had a problem with the locomotive having to re-register. I was not aware it could be a problem.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Roland  
#17 Posted : 01 March 2017 19:05:53(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Interesting, thanks. I wonder if the issue may have been resolved in a CS update? I'm trying to find the threads where this was discussed but the search feature is behaving strangely currently (where it will not allow scrolling through the results pages)

You mentioned you're using manual Marklin switches. I wonder if this makes a difference vs using k84/m84 decoders to control power to these track sections. I'll try to dig up the older threads and share for those interested.
Offline baggio  
#18 Posted : 01 March 2017 19:44:41(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I wonder if these questions should be put in a separate thread.

In any event, I read with much interest what Dreadnought and HO have said about "ghost runners". I have had several times one or two locos do that to me with a resulting accident in at least one case.

My questions are:

1 . How common is this problem?

2. Is there anything one can do to avoid this happening, other than shutting off the power on the specific track?

In my case this has not happened often, but once is too many when accidents result from the "ghost runner".

3. If there is nothing we can do to be 100% sure the locos won't move, is this not a real drawback?

I mean I thought digital was supposed to avoid all this; if we have to isolate a track, then we end up doing same thing we do with an analogue layout.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline Minok  
#19 Posted : 01 March 2017 19:47:18(UTC)
Minok

United States   
One option to powering down lights on cars parked on sidings, assuming your power is not fed from a locomotive decoder output using the loco power pickup....

A single DCC decoder for the car that supplies the power to the lighting via its pickup - $15 (the Digitrax TL1 1 Function Decoder for example) - small, cheap, granted a bit more than the wires and switches you would employ, but its not that much more for what your doing. Then you can turn the lights off and on as needed and the only consumption is from the decoder (just like the parked locomotive), so what, around a few mA?
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline baggio  
#20 Posted : 01 March 2017 22:53:49(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
One option to powering down lights on cars parked on sidings, assuming your power is not fed from a locomotive decoder output using the loco power pickup....

A single DCC decoder for the car that supplies the power to the lighting via its pickup - $15 (the Digitrax TL1 1 Function Decoder for example) - small, cheap, granted a bit more than the wires and switches you would employ, but its not that much more for what your doing. Then you can turn the lights off and on as needed and the only consumption is from the decoder (just like the parked locomotive), so what, around a few mA?

Can you explain a bit more in detail for me? Thanks. BigGrin
Offline Minok  
#21 Posted : 01 March 2017 23:25:10(UTC)
Minok

United States   

Can you explain a bit more in detail for me? Thanks. BigGrin

I would think that, if you have a power pickup in one of the cars, that powers your lights, instead have that pickup power a simple DCC decoder such as ( http://www.digitrax.com/...s/function-decoders/tl1/ ) which is cheap, and the function output of such a decoder (with a possible additional transistor or relay) can then turn power off/on to the lighting in the train.

Then when you park the cars, have the PC software or your controll station turn off the lights (the way you would turn off the lights on a loco as well).
Installing a decoder in the power-pickup car, just like one would do to digitalize an analog locomotive, but here there's no motor output and only really need one function.

Or would that not work?
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline baggio  
#22 Posted : 01 March 2017 23:50:51(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
I do not know if it would work, but it does sound intriguing.

Thank you for the explanation, Minok. BigGrin