Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline AtlanticMan  
#1 Posted : 26 February 2017 14:30:10(UTC)
AtlanticMan

United States   
I have a old grade crossing (7192) (with gates and cabin) which is ok. However, I would like to make a few more grade crossings myself. In my dc North American railroad it is easy using a re-railer section which also is a grade crossing. I have also just used 'Sculptamold' between and approaching the rails for additional xings, and this works fine. I am very hesitant to do this with M-track because of the center stud. Has anybody made grade xings with M-track, or do you have any suggestions? I am inclined not to use the Marklin center track section (5125) because it seems a bit narrow for a major street or highway xing. Thanks.
Offline Minok  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2017 20:19:43(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Will you have active vehicle traffic using the grade crossing such as a Car System or RC solution or is it a passive road network where you only need the signals/arms to work and the train to drive reliably?

If you don't have moving car/truck traffic through it your options are a bit wider. One option is that you install a segment of wire at road surface height to run in the middle over/in-place-of the studs. If you can use aluminum wire it can sit slightly proud/above the paving solution and when you sand it to have a slight flat upper surface, would blend better with a grey concrete/asphalt look (than a copper wire).

Look up some youtube videos on people constructing tram solutions - one option is to plaster in track and then scribe in the inside rail area. For DC/DCC solutions thats easy, if you need the center conductor, its a bit more tricky. Of course if you can use cantenary to power the trains, then its a bit easier, but you have the cantenary related complications.

?t=4m1s
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134