Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mako42  
#1 Posted : 24 February 2017 15:06:31(UTC)
Mako42

Finland   
I'm planning to replace my Märklin Mobile Station 2 with another hand held controller (not Märklin).
I have found some options like Uhlenbrock Daisy II. I asked my dealer, does Uhlenbrock Daisy II work on Märklin and they said that it works if locomotives are DCC. Most of my locos are DCC so that is not a problem.
But how about the connections? Can it feed AC power to the tracks or do I need a booster etc.? Confused
And are there any other hand held controllers that work on Märklin system without using big central units, like Intellibox, with them?
I would be glad if someone could tell me more about these things Laugh

Edited by user 24 February 2017 22:40:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 24 February 2017 15:22:41(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Mako42 Go to Quoted Post
I'm planning to replace my Märklin Mobile Station 2 with another hand held controller (not Märklin).
I have found some options like Uhlenbrock Daisy II. I asked my dealer, does Uhlenbrock Daisy II work on Märklin and they said that it works if locomotives are DCC. Most of my locos are DCC so that is not a problem.
But how about the connections? Can it feed AC power to the tracks or do I need a booster etc.? Confused
And are there any other hand held controllers that work on Märklin system without using big central units, like Intellibox, with them?

You can read the manual here:

http://www.uhlenbrock.de...BD-065.apd/Bes64300e.pdf

As far as I can see it offers no significant advantage over the MS2. It is not a wireless controller and still needs a "central" which is the equivalent of the track box for the MS2.

Correction: - I gather it is a wireless controller, my mistake!

Edited by user 24 February 2017 19:00:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline mrmarklin  
#3 Posted : 24 February 2017 15:42:33(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

You can read the manual here:

http://www.uhlenbrock.de...BD-065.apd/Bes64300e.pdf

As far as I can see it offers no significant advantage over the MS2. It is not a wireless controller and still needs a "central" which is the equivalent of the track box for the MS2.

We use Daisy II with the ETE modules. IMO it's worse than MS, albeit it is wireless. But there are battery issues with this unit, it uses NiCad batteries not Lithium and they have a relatively short life if not continually conditioned.

One still needs a control unit of some sort as a base station.

Get an old CS2 and download the Märklin APP for cell phone use if you want wireless control.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 24 February 2017 17:02:58(UTC)
H0

I have used the wireless Daisy II at a few club meetings. The main controller always was an Intellibox, so MM and DCC could be used to operate train.
With other master controllers you could be limited to DCC only.

I don't own a Daisy II, but many fellows added an extra battery to their Daisy IIs to extend the operational time.

I like the Daisy II - but I wish it was cheaper.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mako42  
#5 Posted : 24 February 2017 22:37:51(UTC)
Mako42

Finland   
Thanks for help & information! Smile It seems that Daisy II is not what I expected so I keep looking for another controllers.

Mako
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 24 February 2017 22:56:06(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Correction: - I gather it is a wireless controller, my mistake!
It comes in two "flavours": wireless or with LocoNet cable.
So when placing an order verify that you got the ref. number for the variant you want.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Karl Gunnar Sjöqvist  
#7 Posted : 25 February 2017 23:14:26(UTC)
Karl Gunnar Sjöqvist

Thanks for help & information! Smile It seems that Daisy II is not what I expected so I keep looking for another controllers.

Mako

Previous versions of Daisy could handle the MM protocol as well, but now they only use DCC. Since it is a LocoNet-based device it can be used as a throttle in connection with other LocoNet-devices. Much like the Mobile Station can be used together with Central Station. In modular layout it is common to have LocoNet as the standard, so then a Daisy could be practical to have as your controller.

For a home layout the Mobile Station is still the best choice - best value for money, easy to use and handles all protocols (MM, DCC, mfx).

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Karl Gunnar Sjöqvist
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 26 February 2017 09:58:11(UTC)
Goofy

Mako

Remember...if you still want to use Märklin MS2 you cannot connect with other competitors controllers.
Märklins box for the MS2 are unique and only works alone with MS2.
If you use competitors central stations they can´t use with MS2!

MS2 works with DCC,MM and mfx/+.
Limited with only 16 functions.

Daisy II works only DCC.
Limited with only 24 functions.

If you use three rail with Märklin locomotives with mfx protocol,i suggest you keep MS2.
Of course you can use DCC and mfx on the same track like Märklin.
But never together MS2 and competitors controllers.

Phewww...that´s way i keep only one digital system and never mix with other.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 26 February 2017 10:17:03(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
it uses NiCad batteries
Nope, it uses Ni/MH batteries. Higher capacity and fewer problems than NiCad.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline mrmarklin  
#10 Posted : 26 February 2017 15:23:50(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
it uses NiCad batteries
Nope, it uses Ni/MH batteries. Higher capacity and fewer problems than NiCad.

Are you sure?

We've had a lot of problems with these units. Of course they get used a lot more in a modular environment than in home usage. Up to 8 hours a day for several consecutive days.

At home I like the CS2 in conjunction with my iPhone. When I upgrade to CS3 I can still use the same controller.

I can't get my head around a proprietary wireless system when smartphones solve all problems.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin