Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Donb  
#1 Posted : 10 February 2017 01:15:11(UTC)
Donb

Canada   
I am going to use two 72090 distribution strips for feeding track power around my layout.
I am uncomfortable with the fact that the whole metal surface of the strip is exposed and 'live'.
I know we are dealing with low voltages and currents, but it seems odd to me to expose a live connection like that.
Is there such a thing as an insulated distribution strip. I know about the Brawa 3094, but not sure if all the connections are internally connected together, which is what I need.

maybe I am being too paranoid...Confused

Don
Best Regards,
Don
___________________________________________________________________________________
CS3, ( Commander is now retired) , C track and Z scale, mostly DB/DR and SBB, SJ
Offline ixldoc  
#2 Posted : 10 February 2017 01:27:57(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
As far as I am aware the whole plate is common with the connector sockets.
This includes the screw hole so best not to mount it onto a metal support with a metal screw.
I have used connector blocks with 12 screwed connections because I don't like using Marklin style plugs. This is a bit tedious as you have to interconnect the 12 sockets with jumper wires, but it works fine especially if you don't need to use more than a couple of the connector blocks.
Regards,
Howard.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline countrylink  
#3 Posted : 10 February 2017 01:32:02(UTC)
countrylink

Australia   
If you are worried you could use liquid insulation to seal the whole strip after connecting all the wires.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by countrylink
Offline franciscohg  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2017 01:37:47(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
if you are using old style plugs, you can use vintage strips, they are painted in blue and not conductibg power...LOL
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline PJMärklin  
#5 Posted : 10 February 2017 11:39:50(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Donb Go to Quoted Post
I am going to use two 72090 distribution strips for feeding track power around my layout.
I am uncomfortable with the fact that the whole metal surface of the strip is exposed and 'live'.
I know we are dealing with low voltages and currents, but it seems odd to me to expose a live connection like that.
Is there such a thing as an insulated distribution strip. I know about the Brawa 3094, but not sure if all the connections are internally connected together, which is what I need.

maybe I am being too paranoid...Confused

Don

Hello Don,

When I started my first layout in 1983 the märklin connectors were the old broader plugs which are now not available from märklin but can be obtained from brawa:

UserPostedImage

I do have practised soldering skills but overall in most situations on the layout I still prefer to use the plug and socket connectors.
Thus since then , particularly when using the "standard" size connection wire :

UserPostedImage

I have used the märklin metal distribution plate such as this quite old example:

UserPostedImage

Notwithstanding your conceptual concerns, I have not ever had any issues with the "live" plate being exposed
and have used the older style märklin extension plates for all areas of connection/distribution(active, earth, signal and lighting power):

UserPostedImage

When the size and style of the märklin plug connectors changed, I continued with the same older style which are still made by brawa, as noted above. Since märklin at that time also changed the diameter of the holes in their distribution plates I had to find a new source of distribution plate for my older (wider) plugs. Fortunately brawa make some distribution strips which I have used since:

UserPostedImage

These are within plastic, are internally connected together and may perhaps serve your desire to have the plates better insulated from their immediate surroundings :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

When distributing "power" (active, red , "bahn" terminal) from the boosters to the various track sections of the layout and to the k83 units I tend to use much broader wire so as to minimise voltage drop over distance and that wire does not fit well into the plugs so I fix the tinned ends of these wires to a common household electrical connection strip converted to distribute the wires :

UserPostedImage

Regards,

PJ

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 10 February 2017 11:48:23(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Viessmann produce terminal strips with a plastic body, which are therefore insulated.

6842 Yellow
6843 Brown
6844 Red

V6844.JPG

Edited by user 11 February 2017 11:37:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Rwill  
#7 Posted : 10 February 2017 12:16:52(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
A while ago I used 72090's. I had two in use for the red and brown bus and without thinking I placed them fairly close together at the front of the layout which was the natural and perfect resting place for my specs!
I quickly discovered I had digital glasses we had:
Function 0 Sparks
Function 1 Smoke
Function 3 Sound of operator swearing
Function 4 total silence
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 10 February 2017 15:31:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Viessmann produce terminal strips with a plastic body, which are therefore insulated.

6842 Yellow
6843 Brown
6844 Red

They also do the plugs and sockets like the old Marklin ones.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Torstein  
#9 Posted : 10 February 2017 17:14:17(UTC)
Torstein

Norway   
Hi

Viessmann terminals have a metal strip inside who easily get loose after you put in the plugs or after some time, result: no current connection. I had several of these and change them with full metal bodies for safe connection.

Use your time to run trains and don't spend it on trouble finding.

Torstein
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Torstein
Offline Minok  
#10 Posted : 10 February 2017 19:57:06(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Stringing together groups of the 5 conductor Wago 222-415 LEVER-NUTS would be another option.
UserPostedImage

Mounting them to the board would need additional work - adhesive presumably, or you anchor the wires that feed into it.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline PJMärklin  
#11 Posted : 11 February 2017 01:49:11(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

6842 Yellow
6843 Brown
6844 Red

Now they look great - thanks for the info
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline PMPeter  
#12 Posted : 11 February 2017 15:53:20(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Torstein Go to Quoted Post
Hi

Viessmann terminals have a metal strip inside who easily get loose after you put in the plugs or after some time, result: no current connection. I had several of these and change them with full metal bodies for safe connection.

Use your time to run trains and don't spend it on trouble finding.

Torstein

I believe what you mean is that the plugs can get loose, not the internal metal strip because it has no where to go. Depending on the make, age, and repeated use of the standard plugs I have found that the plugs themselves can be the problem. The prongs on the plugs are split in both directions and I always run a utility knife blade part way down each split in order to spread the prongs slightly apart and get a solid connection. With this approach after 3 years I have not had a loose connection. I have thus gone the other way and replaced all of my 7209 strips with the Viessmann terminal blocks.

If you are using/reusing old plugs that have been plugged and unplugged several times, you may find that one of the prongs breaks off when you insert the blade. Those are the ones that would give you a loose connection if inserted "as-is" since the prongs have obviously lost their strength. So better to find out with a knife blade rather than through a loose connection on the strip.

Peter
Offline tabacaru.mvlad  
#13 Posted : 02 September 2022 18:56:48(UTC)
tabacaru.mvlad

Romania   
I don`t like the idea that Marklin 72090 it`s not insulated. I will use instead this Wago since I already have them
IMG_20220902_194208.jpg
In this way I won`t need the plugs either. One question though, I`ve seen that Marklin have different cables diameters, 0.19 and 0.75. If it`s bigger it`s not better, right ? In case a power surge occur it`s better for the wire to melt than your locomotives. Or doesn`t work that way, the power source have have precise output no matter what ? It`s a little bit off-topic, but I`m just curious.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tabacaru.mvlad
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 02 September 2022 23:28:09(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: tabacaru.mvlad Go to Quoted Post
One question though, I`ve seen that Marklin have different cables diameters, 0.19 and 0.75. If it`s bigger it`s not better, right ? In case a power surge occur it`s better for the wire to melt than your locomotives. Or doesn`t work that way, the power source have have precise output no matter what ? It`s a little bit off-topic, but I`m just curious.

For wiring track power i would use the larger wire diameter. The reason is as follows -
If the wire diameter is small then the resistance is higher so if there is a short the current may not reach the level that will cause the current limit circuit in the controller to work, so you may be more likely to have problems than if you use a heavier gauge wire.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline David Dewar  
#15 Posted : 02 September 2022 23:43:34(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
72090 is fine and I use them throughout the layout. Any current is the same as that on the track I presume so I dont see a problem Marklin sell their own wire for track power and I just use that.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline MKOpSeattle  
#16 Posted : 03 September 2022 07:28:10(UTC)
MKOpSeattle

United States   
I'm building a M-track layout and want to use Wago splice connectors. I have bought Brawa 3215 power wires (red & brown) and 3172 for switch wires (yellow & blue). The cross sectional areas are 0.25 mm^2 and 0.14 mm^2. Can someone tell me what gauges or AWG are they? Thanks.

T
Offline PMPeter  
#17 Posted : 03 September 2022 16:20:41(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
A quick Google search gives you that conversion. However, 0.25 mm2 is 24 AWG and 0.14 mm2 is 26 AWG.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#18 Posted : 04 September 2022 12:06:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

6842 Yellow
6843 Brown
6844 Red

V6844.JPG

The other point I should have mentioned about the Viessmann strips is that they have a + and - side, i.e. the two sides are insulated from each other. This is useful for those times you need to distribute two wires, say a red and brown for track power feed. Look at the photo and you will see + and - in the middle of the strip.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline JohnjeanB  
#19 Posted : 04 September 2022 14:46:28(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
I use both the Märklin and Viessmann distribution strips:
- the recent Märklin ones (7209 or 72090) are much better (better contact ) and no bare metal related issues but no color coding. There is ABSOLUTELY no electrical risk for a shock unless for a baby with wet hands
- the Viessamnn have a color plastic covering but with a huge drawback: typical older Märklin plugs have a propention to jump out (because of the thick plastic) The plastic coding ends up to be also a stupid idea because the distribution strip is made of 2 independent contact plate so I ended up having to paint the plastic coating (Brown, /Yellow or Brown / Red) for the various purposes.

The very old Märklin distribution strips (painted in blue) ref 470 or 7069 were soon replaced with all metal 7209 because of poor contact between the riveted contact plugs and the painted frame
Cheers
Jean
Offline David Dewar  
#20 Posted : 04 September 2022 17:21:19(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
As Jean says above there is no problem in using the Marklin strips along with their plugs. If I have a problem it is with the plugs if the screw comes loose it take ages to get it back in. At my age I just throw it away and use another plug.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar