Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2017 07:12:57(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
the loco comes with a sound decoder and has 15 sound functions

powered axles: 4 with 2 rubber tyres, I will change them to 4 rubber tyres as I've done on my cargo locos, to add another 2 rubber tyres it will cost me Euro 30.00 this is almost the cost of the loco itself without the sound decoder (rip off) one has to buy the whole axle, instead of having 2 rubber tyres on each axle they have 1 rubber tyre on each axcle.

1 motor with flywheel,

several light changes and the lights are bright (marker lights), unfortunately I can't get all the sound functions via my ESU lokprogrammer.

4 Pantographs

1 x 21 pin sound decoder, 1 digital circuit board with led light board.

running characteristics looks alright

weight: 522g, my other Traxx loco weigh in at 530g and 510 grams (changed the circuitboard)

all locos should have enough pulling power for a descent freight train

SBB Re 482 Traxx.JPG

SBB Re 482 Traxx (1).JPG

SBB Re 482 484 Traxx (2).JPG

this photo shows 2 rubber tyres

SBB Re 482 Traxx (4).JPG

these photos show the addition of 2 rubber tyres on the 2nd bogie

SBB Re 482 Traxx (3).JPG

SBB Re 482 Traxx (5).JPG

SBB Re 482 Traxx (6).JPG

2 Roco Re 484 Traxx locos: BLS cargo, Railpool (BLS cargo)

weight: 538g,
4 rubber tyres (added another 2)
both with ESU sound decoder

SBB Re 482 484 Traxx (1).JPG

my current SBB, BLS Traxx locos

SBB Re 482 484 Traxx.JPG

none of the locos above have any electrical connection to the pantographs, this function has been lately left out

footnote: although all Märklin locos have metal bodies they are slightly lighter than the Roco locos
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2017 08:31:05(UTC)
H0

Hi, John,

Thanks for the review.

I bought the Alpäzähmer from Roco:
zraz1.jpg
zraz2.jpg
Roco announced the loco one year earlier than Märklin. I would have preferred Roco anyway because they have more details and the proportions look more accurate.

A TRAXX review from 2012:
https://www.marklin-user...ries-28-TRAXX-Locomotive
Märklin no longer use yellow LEDs (or at least not for all TRAXX models), Roco now use warm-white LEDs instead of blueish white. But the level of detailing is still the same.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2017 10:37:24(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Tom,

this time I have to disagree with you regarding Roco versus Märklin mainly because of the pantographs, Märklin is making more sturdy pantographs than Roco and the headlights can be turned on and off independently, also there are provisions to add a high beam to the led circuit board.
I was surprised it had a fully functional sound decoder for the price I've paid for (Euro 151.00) and I don't think I realized it when I ordered it had a sound decoder.
I most probably change the sound decoder to an ESU and sell the Märklin one

SBB Re 482 Traxx lights.JPG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 08 February 2017 05:45:00(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Sorry, but you are not going to catch me buying a 79 EUR Hobby Lok with sound for almost the price of a regular Lok. Maerklin has been steadily bumping up the price of these cheap metal models. I think they originally cost around 60 EUR, but now they add a better decoder, white LEDs and basic sound and charge 190 EUR. I would rather see them base these models on the 37446 even if the body is plastic or if they want to offer a full price metal model, there would be enough potential model variations to justify making a proper model in metal.
I passed on the Gottardo models from Maerklin and Hag and I may opt for the "Alpaezaehmer" model of the ES64F4 (189) from Roco.

Although, come to think of it, as I had to reject the 37446 shell (swapped with a 22631) due to paint issues, a nice model with the new UIC markings might be in order.

Regards

Mike C
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 08 February 2017 13:39:27(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Sorry, but you are not going to catch me buying a 79 EUR Hobby Lok with sound for almost the price of a regular Lok. Maerklin has been steadily bumping up the price of these cheap metal models. I think they originally cost around 60 EUR, but now they add a better decoder, white LEDs and basic sound and charge 190 EUR. I would rather see them base these models on the 37446 even if the body is plastic or if they want to offer a full price metal model, there would be enough potential model variations to justify making a proper model in metal.
I passed on the Gottardo models from Maerklin and Hag and I may opt for the "Alpaezaehmer" model of the ES64F4 (189) from Roco.

Although, come to think of it, as I had to reject the 37446 shell (swapped with a 22631) due to paint issues, a nice model with the new UIC markings might be in order.

Regards

Mike C

Mike, I don't know what you're talking about, this model has a fully functional sound decoder with 15 sound functions (not basic sound) , to buy a sound decoder you pay Euro 90.00, think again

John

Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 08 February 2017 14:50:59(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
to buy a sound decoder you pay Euro 90.00
After the announcement of the MSD/3, the MSD was dumped for about €40 (incl. VAT).
I think those €90 include a nice profit for Märklin.

Some folks would rather buy a loco without sound that is €60 cheaper.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 08 February 2017 15:12:04(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
to buy a sound decoder you pay Euro 90.00
After the announcement of the MSD/3, the MSD was dumped for about €40 (incl. VAT).
I think those €90 include a nice profit for Märklin.

Some folks would rather buy a loco without sound that is €60 cheaper.

I'm one of those folks. I have been a great fan of the Marklin Hobby locos since they produced the TRAXX and ER20 locos in the last decade, but I also am disappointed in the large price increase for the sound versions.

I would prefer they revert to a cheaper basic price with a plug-in sound upgrade possible.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline mike c  
#8 Posted : 09 February 2017 03:16:31(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Mike, I don't know what you're talking about, this model has a fully functional sound decoder with 15 sound functions (not basic sound) , to buy a sound decoder you pay Euro 90.00, think again

I am not referring to the quality of the sound decoder. I don't care whether the model has 15 sound functions or just one… My issue is with the fact that Maerklin thinks that we should accept a basic model dressed up and sold at the price of a regular model. Compared to other models of the Traxx locomotives, the Maerklin models do not have realistic reproductions of the wheels and brake discs and are very poorly rendered in comparison even to older metal locomotives from the 1960s/1970s.

These models were designed to compete with Piko's Hobby models at 60-80 EUR and are now being passed off as real models at almost 200 EUR.
For that price, I expect a whole lot more than what we are being given.

It would seem to me that this is the future, as Maerklin seems to make almost all of the Traxx series locomotives based on this cheap design. The same goes for the Eurorunner Diesel and now also the newly announced Vectron models. Too many of these new locomotives are being made in this "low budget" version, meaning that there is no option for the modeller to go "hobby" or to go plastic from Roco, Piko, LSM or ACME and so on.

Maerklin should decide that these locomotives are as worthy of being rendered as complete models instead of trying to pass off a hobby lok by adding functions.
Make a metal Traxx with proper rendering of the pantographs, roof wiring, etc and I will line up to get one. The way things are, even when they do a fancy model, they cut corners with the paintwork like they did on the 37446. It makes me hesitant to pre-order items.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 09 February 2017 08:06:58(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Mike, this is all new to me, I never looked it that way, I bought the loco for Euro 151.00 and I thought it was cheap, when the loco is running on my layout no one including me would notice the disc brakes but this is your choice you're making. I agree with you to some extend locos are getting dearer and dearer year by year but the basic design hasn't changed much., for me the days are gone to pre-order any loco.
cutting corners is , it looks like the name of the game these days but model train enthusiasts and collectors are still on the bandwagon and buying it., I had my time.

John
Offline Harryv40  
#10 Posted : 11 February 2017 13:00:08(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
Hi Guys, I think we all need to clam a little bit ! Our hobby is designed for everyone. The person who like me likes to just see the locos run, also the person who will rarely run the stock but just keep it on display or the person who like complete detail to the highest level. I am cash limited so I try to find the best solution for me, this normally means purchasing from a sale or a dealers clearance. I have a small Noch layout board, I have tried to reflect Switzerland and it's Railways the best I can. If money was no object I would expand to a larger layout, central station, etc. I respect those who have invested in the hobby to that level, but coming back to my point it really is horses for courses. Harryv40
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Harryv40
Offline Timnomads  
#11 Posted : 13 February 2017 12:29:33(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
I received my new Marklin Alpäzähmer last weekend. The loco runs well and sounds are great, my only complaint is the actual coupling extends quite away out from the loco.

I know it is their startup version, I paid 198 chf, I could have paid 277 chf for the similar
RE 482 model 36627, but for me the differences did not warrant the extra cost.

I am happy I did not have to pay 277 chf and have got a good loco. which is quite adaquate and detailed for my home use. If this was for professional or display purposes I may feel differently.

If Marklin made extra profit, good for Marklin, they need the cash. I do not want the company to dissappear.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Timnomads