Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Michael4  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2017 16:36:54(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I've started to open up the boxes containing all our old Marklin material. I've posted in 'Collectors Corner' because quite a lot of the stuff is old... though it may not be collectable. As I find things that may be of interest I'll be posting pics and asking for info. Hope you don't mind.

First of all some rolling stock with couplings that are unusual to me at least. They are all marked Marklin Made in Germany and came many years ago with some other stuff that I will dig out later.

So, any ideas for a date and is that an early Marklin coupling or something else? They look 'original'. I know I have three coaches somewhere with similar couplings but their bogies are broken.

Thanks in advance

Michael

UserPostedImageDSC02049 by dralowid, on Flickr
Offline Michael4  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2017 16:54:50(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
And then there is this...

UserPostedImageDSC02050 by dralowid, on Flickr

Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2017 18:06:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I've started to open up the boxes containing all our old Marklin material. I've posted in 'Collectors Corner' because quite a lot of the stuff is old... though it may not be collectable. As I find things that may be of interest I'll be posting pics and asking for info. Hope you don't mind.

First of all some rolling stock with couplings that are unusual to me at least. They are all marked Marklin Made in Germany and came many years ago with some other stuff that I will dig out later.

So, any ideas for a date and is that an early Marklin coupling or something else? They look 'original'. I know I have three coaches somewhere with similar couplings but their bogies are broken.

Thanks in advance

Michael

(snip repeated image)

Those are very early couplings. I don't know enough to be sure if they make the wagons pre-war, but if not then immediately post war. At a quick glance they all look like they are in nice condition.

The transformer and signal would match that vintage.
Offline MalinAC  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2017 18:23:28(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
The couplers are Typ.3 from 38/40
Offline Pmare4  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2017 21:03:26(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Hi Michael,
The model numbers are:

Signal: 440

Trafo: 270 A

Tank wagon: 374 S

Flat wagon: 364

Open wagons (both types) 365
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
Offline Michael4  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2017 11:10:12(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Many thanks for the information!

I realise now that I asked my first dumb question. Had I been a little bit more observant I would have seen that they have their model numbers on them!

When I packed this all away around 20 years ago I gave no thought to the logic of my packing. My plan is now to try and group it by age. Whether I choose to make a 3 rail or stud layout remains to be seen.

More soon, I'm enjoying the process!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline Michael4  
#7 Posted : 06 February 2017 11:31:29(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Today's offerings from the cupboard, all well 'played with'.

The Station. Am I correct in assuming it is the same age as the stock shown earlier? ie 1938-1940?

UserPostedImageDSC02051 by dralowid, on Flickr

Does anyone have a picture of what the clock face should look like? I would like to try and make something better!

And some boxes, quite why or how they have survived is a bit of mystery. I think they may have been for catenary masts. Not sure if any of those have survived but there are certainly some catenary strips (flat with scallops at the ends) somewhere.

UserPostedImageDSC02052 by dralowid, on Flickr

Offline Alsterstreek  
#8 Posted : 06 February 2017 12:40:17(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Station building addressed and pictured here:

https://www.marklin-user...-Friedrichshafen-Station
Offline jvuye  
#9 Posted : 06 February 2017 14:57:28(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

Thanks in advance

Michael

Nice pre-WWII equipement.
Just looking at the pics is a pleasure!
I'd venture to say these are really quite collectibles.
" 407xx" was the basic number for all of the early catenary items.
Masts are hard to come by, and when you do , many have suffered from the dreaded zinkpest.
But wires are also sought after.
The Shell tank car is missing a bit around the filling cap, but that can be found.
see here Ritter restauration
We'll be more than happy to patiently help you identify each one of these!! (and restaure if need be)
And I know a few people here that would love to do the same.Wink
Keep us entertained!Smile RollEyes
Cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline Michael4  
#10 Posted : 06 February 2017 17:09:14(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I'm getting into my stride now.

351, 352 and 354 with their boxes all on cheap nasty plastic bogies. Broken bogies in the foreground with early couplers and a few wheels.

I imagine not, but is there a way of replacing these bogies with something either original looking or more in keeping?

UserPostedImageDSC02053 by dralowid, on Flickr

Also, one piece of catenary wire, a broken post, some lights etc. I remember one of those lights exploding when it got hot!

Where is the rest, or for that matter, where is all the old track??? I may have to go into the attic again.
Offline jvuye  
#11 Posted : 06 February 2017 17:28:12(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
I'm getting into my stride now.

351, 352 and 354 with their boxes all on cheap nasty plastic bogies. Broken bogies in the foreground with early couplers and a few wheels.

I imagine not, but is there a way of replacing these bogies with something either original looking or more in keeping?

UserPostedImageDSC02053 by dralowid, on Flickr

Also, one piece of catenary wire, a broken post, some lights etc. I remember one of those lights exploding when it got hot!

Where is the rest, or for that matter, where is all the old track??? I may have to go into the attic again.

Hi again!
All these broken bogies can be repaired using Ritter parts.
Ritter restauration bogies
Ritter restauration bogie complete

Offline Michael4  
#12 Posted : 06 February 2017 19:32:15(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Wow! Ritter have everything I need!

...though whether spending nearly 100 euros on repairing three old carriages can be deemed appropriate in our household is another matter...
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#13 Posted : 06 February 2017 21:55:59(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Great stuff. Other members have properly dated the items. The 407 catenary mast boxes have a "9" stamped on them, this means they were made in 1939.

As for the cars, yes, the bogies are almost always broken. You could also replace the bogies with the later tinplate versions. This was commonly done because the originals were always broken. I have many originals if you are interested in these tinplate bogies. Also please note your 351 green passenger is a 351 SB which is seldom seen, I think yours is missing the lights though.

Best wishes

Paul
Offline jvuye  
#14 Posted : 06 February 2017 22:27:02(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post
Great stuff. Other members have properly dated the items. The 407 catenary mast boxes have a "9" stamped on them, this means they were made in 1939.

As for the cars, yes, the bogies are almost always broken. You could also replace the bogies with the later tinplate versions. This was commonly done because the originals were always broken. I have many originals if you are interested in these tinplate bogies. Also please note your 351 green passenger is a 351 SB which is seldom seen, I think yours is missing the lights though.

Best wishes

Paul

yes Paul
You noticed that too.
Guess What?
Ritter has it too!

Light Fixture Ritter
Lamps fitting 381S Ritter

Hope our friend here appreciates all the research we are doing for him!Laugh Wink

Offline jvuye  
#15 Posted : 06 February 2017 22:49:32(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Wow! Ritter have everything I need!

...though whether spending nearly 100 euros on repairing three old carriages can be deemed appropriate in our household is another matter...

...unless you realize what they are worth....Wink for collectors!

Offline Michael4  
#16 Posted : 06 February 2017 23:27:00(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I certainly appreciate all the information and research being done on my behalf, many thanks folks!

I would be dishonest if I said that the topic of value was not at the back of my mind. I have seen Ebay asking prices for some of these but assume they are like many things, the real price depends on what someone is prepared to pay and not some mystical dealer's value.

This stuff has been in my cupboard for many years, I'm enjoying getting it out and working through it, there is no desire or need to sell (fingers crossed).

If replacing the bogies with Ritter items is really a worthwhile idea it would be a satisfying thing to do but I don't know whether to stay with claw couplings or move to something newer. Unfortunately I don't have an engine from this age. Let's see where it all goes...

I have remembered where the track is and will photograph some items tomorrow. I think that will more or less finish the claw coupling and contemporary items and I will move onto the next 'age'.

So thanks again and I will continue to post up until the point that all that is left is plastic!

Offline jvuye  
#17 Posted : 07 February 2017 10:53:28(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

This stuff has been in my cupboard for many years, I'm enjoying getting it out and working through it, there is no desire or need to sell (fingers crossed).

If replacing the bogies with Ritter items is really a worthwhile idea it would be a satisfying thing to do but I don't know whether to stay with claw couplings or move to something newer. Unfortunately I don't have an engine from this age. Let's see where it all goes...

Hi again Michael
We're just enjoying seeing, discussing and preserving those magnificent models.
Most collectors will probably agree with me, but i'd say the deciseon claw vs. loop couplers is easy: stay conform to the original!
The prize of course here would be to find the very rare adapter Märklin provided when they moved from one system to the other!
(I'll have to dig that picture for you out of my older catalogs Wink ... but I am sure Markus will beat me to the finish line BigGrin )

Cheers

Jacques

Offline Pmare4  
#18 Posted : 07 February 2017 11:08:01(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
The prize of course here would be to find the very rare adapter Märklin provided when they moved from one system to the other!

Hi Jacques,

You don't mean the 360 ZK, do you... Flapper

360ZK.PNG

The text reads:

Supplementary coupling for connection of wagons with normal [claw] couplings with the wagons with newer automatic couplings. (see picture) We [Marklin factory] can not retrofit normal wagons with the new automatic couplings.

Regards
Peter
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Pmare4
Offline jvuye  
#19 Posted : 07 February 2017 11:40:57(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Pmare4 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post

Hi Jacques,

You don't mean the 360 ZK, do you... Flapper

The text reads:

Supplementary coupling for connection of wagons with normal [claw] couplings with the wagons with newer automatic couplings. (see picture) We [Marklin factory] can not retrofit normal wagons with the new automatic couplings.

Regards
Peter

Yes Peter , that's the one!
Congratulations
Now would you have one for sale??Wink
Cheers
Jacques

Offline Michael4  
#20 Posted : 07 February 2017 15:10:22(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I have found a solution to keeping this project 'cash neutral'. At the bottom of the box of track I have found some Hornby Doublo stations and signal boxes. If I put these on Ebay I hope I'll get sufficient funds together to pay for the parts needed for the coaches.

No sign of 360ZK...

We'll see.
Offline jvuye  
#21 Posted : 07 February 2017 16:01:33(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

No sign of 360ZK...

Hoooooh!! I'm so surprized! Laugh Wink Wink

Offline Michael4  
#22 Posted : 07 February 2017 16:19:29(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Is this track contemporary with the pieces I have shown so far?

There seem to be two styles as shown by this:

UserPostedImageDSC02054 by dralowid, on Flickr

The one on the left is brown on the underside, on the right black.

The points are rather splendid with exposed magnets, cloth covered wires etc. A few springs missing but at least two work. A great smell of burning dust!

UserPostedImageDSC02055 by dralowid, on Flickr

And some more, indeed there is quite a lot more in various boxes.

UserPostedImageDSC02056 by dralowid, on Flickr

I realise that the Hornby stations are unlikely to cover the cost of the new bogies... but I have found some Fleishmann and Rivarossi 12v rolling stock that may help build up the repair fund.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline Michael4  
#23 Posted : 07 February 2017 17:42:08(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
Another box. I think we have come on quite a few years but would appreciate guidance as to dates.

346/4, 346/1, 346/1

UserPostedImageDSC02057 by dralowid, on Flickr

346/3j, 346/3, 346/2

UserPostedImageDSC02059 by dralowid, on Flickr

Then some engines, guidance as to correct name and dates again appreciated

This one is marked SEH 800 and 1101

UserPostedImageDSC02060 by dralowid, on Flickr

This one is marked SET 800 and E44039

UserPostedImageDSC02061 by dralowid, on Flickr

This one is marked RET 800 and 427

UserPostedImageDSC02062 by dralowid, on Flickr

I don't know if you guys are enjoying this but I am! Many thanks again, in advance, for your help!

Michael

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Michael4
Offline Michael4  
#24 Posted : 11 February 2017 17:29:44(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I reckon I have exhausted my supply of things that may be of interest to a collector, next thing to do is start planning a layout for a very small space...