Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline steventrain  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2017 13:32:34(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
ESU 2017 new items

>DOWNLOAD PDF<

New E03 Electric and Ludmilla.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline MaerklinLife  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2017 15:58:24(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Anybody know what internal upgrades they've made to the new ECoS (besides the new power supply) and what it means if one is considering buying one?
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2017 17:10:25(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: MaerklinLife Go to Quoted Post
Anybody know what internal upgrades they've made to the new ECoS (besides the new power supply) and what it means if one is considering buying one?

Internal upgrades means change inside of the central station.
Not sure if they change the body too.
The new catalog number 50210 says anyway new central station.
Let´s see when it arrives out.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline MaerklinLife  
#4 Posted : 28 January 2017 17:43:15(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

Thanks, but no real answer. I am perfectly aware what internal updates mean, I am not sure what changes they've made. Besides a new power supply.

The system seems to be pretty stable anyway, so perhaps no real change is needed for the ECoS to follow suit. Personally, I think ESU is doing the right thing by developing on something they've already got instead of reinventing the wheel both hardware and software wise.

The real deal is the LokPilot MKL which allows for putting ESU decoders into ealier Märklin locomotives. Finally ESU caved in and made this version! This means that I can start changing decoders in these models and implement the ABC braking system in my layout.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2017 17:57:51(UTC)
H0

The real deal is the LokPilot MKL which allows for putting ESU decoders into ealier Märklin locomotives.
The new decoder cannot be used for many early Märklin mfx locos where the decoder has a blue PCB - the regular ESU decoders can be used.
For locos where the decoder has a green or red PCB you must check carefully whether the MKL version or the regular version can be used.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline MaerklinLife  
#6 Posted : 28 January 2017 18:05:58(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The real deal is the LokPilot MKL which allows for putting ESU decoders into ealier Märklin locomotives.
The new decoder cannot be used for many early Märklin mfx locos where the decoder has a blue PCB - the regular ESU decoders can be used.
For locos where the decoder has a green or red PCB you must check carefully whether the MKL version or the regular version can be used.

Thanks. The main thing here is that: Now I have real options. Smile

The problem of course is: can we trust the colours as our only way of identifying the type of decoder? I would not count on it.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 28 January 2017 18:14:42(UTC)
H0

The problem of course is: can we trust the colours as our only way of identifying the type of decoder? I would not count on it.
So far you can rely that blue PCB stands for ESU decoder and ESU decoders so far were NEM compatible.
Red or green are Märklin decoders and can be NEM compatible or NMRA compatible. Take the magnifying glass and check whether AUX3/4 are amplified on the decoder.
An incomplete list of Märklin locos that require NEM compatible decoders can be found in the manual of the 60940 MSD Spezial.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline MaerklinLife  
#8 Posted : 28 January 2017 20:39:46(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
An incomplete list of Märklin locos that require NEM compatible decoders can be found in the manual of the 60940 MSD Spezial.

The "problem" also lies with the Trix Traxx back from 2008. Those models also does not work with ESU 21-pin decoders. I had to install mld's in my converted versions them to make them work. I don't know if Märklin has changed the PCB in the re-release from last year. But later editions of Märklin locos seem to follow the NEM-standard.

I am happy that I can now start to rely on one manufacturer only. I hate having too many different decoders. Although it worked fine with the mld (1 and 3). They are fine decoders, I am just used to tuning the ESU ones. It is of course a matter of personal taste. Some how I have less tuning problems with the ESU decoders.
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 28 January 2017 21:18:31(UTC)
H0

But later editions of Märklin locos seem to follow the NEM-standard.
I don't think so, but I do not have statistics.
The MSD/3 has CVs that allow to make it NEM compatible, but the factory default is NMRA compatible.
The Trix TRAXX requires amplified AUX3/4 while AUX1/2 are not used.
The Trix BR 216 uses AUX1/2 while AUX3/4 are nor used, thus allowing any decoder in that loco.

I did not examine my plastic body Märklin TRAXX yet.

Some Märklin locos with 21MTC socket require NEM compatible decoders, some require NMRA compatible decoders, for some locos both types can be used.
And now back on topic: theoretically ESU should now have suitable decoders for all Märklin locos with 21MTC socket.
But finding the correct decoder can be tricky - and IMHO "earlier" and "later" do not help choosing the right decoder.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 29 January 2017 09:10:13(UTC)
Goofy

Thanks, but no real answer. I am perfectly aware what internal updates mean, I am not sure what changes they've made. Besides a new power supply.

The system seems to be pretty stable anyway, so perhaps no real change is needed for the ECoS to follow suit. Personally, I think ESU is doing the right thing by developing on something they've already got instead of reinventing the wheel both hardware and software wise.

Of course does my answer is correct and real.
I´m pretty sure they present new design of the Ecos.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 29 January 2017 15:00:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

Of course does my answer is correct and real.
I´m pretty sure they present new design of the Ecos.

I suspect the internal changes include a faster quad core processor like the cs3 ...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan