Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline AshdownSteve  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2017 13:26:17(UTC)
AshdownSteve

United Kingdom   
Forgive my almost complete ignorance - I'm literally starting from zero knowledge here!

I'm looking to build a very basic C-track layout, just a simple oval, for a single loco.

Leaving aside the track, what's the very minimum I need in terms of power supply and controller?

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2017 13:55:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: AshdownSteve Go to Quoted Post
Forgive my almost complete ignorance - I'm literally starting from zero knowledge here!

I'm looking to build a very basic C-track layout, just a simple oval, for a single loco.

Leaving aside the track, what's the very minimum I need in terms of power supply and controller?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

There are essentially two options.

1. get a start set that has an oval of track with the cordless controller, such as the Start Up sets in the New Items brochures.

2. Go for the slightly more 'up market' start sets that contain an MS2 controller.

There is a third possible option if you already have a C track oval. That is to buy a 29000 'start set' that comes with an oval of C track with R2 radius curves and an MS2 controller with power supply and track connection box. If you already have a start set then this would expand it with a second oval of track that goes around the outside of the R1 sized oval supplied in start sets.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 19 January 2017 22:51:40(UTC)
Minok

United States   
What is the minimum, leaving aside the track, depends on whether you want to run digital or analog, I suppose.

If you only want to run a single train in a constant loop, the minimum you likely needs is just an analog transformer to connect to the track.
If you want to control locomotives better and switch on modern functions, you want digital, then you need a switching power supply, the track box that combines the control signals and power from the power supply, and a controller with buttons to let you control the train (such as the Mobil Station 2, or the wireless setup).

As mentioned, everything minus the trains comes in a 29000 starter set.
If you have much of it already (ie trains and track) then buying the missing buts individually may be an option though if you will expand beyond that then a starter set's components will surely be used over time.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 19 January 2017 23:44:23(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I would say that just a single oval with one train will not keep you going for long. Once you get the bug you will want to expand quickly.
I would get the best start set you feel you can afford and when building a baseboard allow room for expansion.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline AshdownSteve  
#5 Posted : 20 January 2017 10:49:57(UTC)
AshdownSteve

United Kingdom   
Thanks, everybody.

As I have a fair amount of track already, I'm reluctant to go down the starter set route, particularly as they seem so expensive in the UK.

Any advice on sourcing individual components? Am I better off looking in Denmark? What product codes should I be searching for if I'm after a basic analogue transformer and controller?

Steve
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 20 January 2017 11:07:16(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Thanks, everybody.

As I have a fair amount of track already, I'm reluctant to go down the starter set route, particularly as they seem so expensive in the UK.

Any advice on sourcing individual components? Am I better off looking in Denmark? What product codes should I be searching for if I'm after a basic analogue transformer and controller?

Steve

Hi Steve,

If all you want is a simple analogue controller then the 66470 is the one for you.

http://www.maerklin.de/e...pdb_pi1%5Bsearchres%5D=1

However if you want to spend less money you can pick up a 6647 (the previous version) on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sc...4rklin+6647&_sacat=0
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline AshdownSteve  
#7 Posted : 20 January 2017 11:34:10(UTC)
AshdownSteve

United Kingdom   
Thanks, Ray. And would the 6647/66470 work with a 24088 feeder track?

Steve
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 20 January 2017 11:51:44(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
No need for a 24088 when operating analogue. This feeder track is for connecting a Mobile station.

You can connect the transformer directly to C track using 74040 feeder wire set, or the 74046 which includes interference suppression.

Alternatively you can make up your own feader wires soldered directly to the terminals on any piece of track, or buy the appropriate spade connectors for a less permanent job.
Ray
Offline baggio  
#9 Posted : 20 January 2017 14:17:48(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Steve:

Marklin today is digital - bar none.

By that, I mean that you can no longer buy new analogue locomotives, albeit the digital locos work well (usually) in analogue mode.

There are, however, many analogue locos still on the used market - BUT the better ones cost a fair penny.

If you are going to buy a NEW transformer, as the one Ray pointed out, my suggestion is: don't.

Use that money and buy a NEW starter set that does not come with an MS2 - these sets are almost the same price as an analogue transformer. Sometimes even less, and they come with "C" track.

I set out here the website of our local Marklin dealer just to show you what the prices are of economical starter sets in Toronto. The prices here are in CAD dollars and one adds 13% sales tax. The result is that the prices here are the same as the ones on the Marklin website in Euros: Starter Sets

Starter sets offer the greatest value in Marklin gear.

You can NEVER have too much track! Also, with an inexpensive adapter you will be able to use BOTH the M track you have with the new C track.

Finally, do remember what David said: a simple loop will bore you after 15 minutes and you will want to add to it.

My usual 2 cents'worth. BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 20 January 2017 14:40:13(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Steve:

Marklin today is digital - bar none.

By that, I mean that you can no longer buy new analogue locomotives, albeit the digital locos work well (usually) in analogue mode.

There are, however, many analogue locos still on the used market - BUT the better ones cost a fair penny.

If you are going to buy a NEW transformer, as the one Ray pointed out, my suggestion is: don't.

Use that money and buy a NEW starter set that does not come with an MS2 - these sets are almost the same price as an analogue transformer. Sometimes even less, and they come with "C" track.

I set out here the website of our local Marklin dealer just to show you what the prices are of economical starter sets in Toronto. The prices here are in CAD dollars and one adds 13% sales tax. The result is that the prices here are the same as the ones on the Marklin website in Euros: Starter Sets

Starter sets offer the greatest value in Marklin gear.

You can NEVER have too much track! Also, with an inexpensive adapter you will be able to use BOTH the M track you have with the new C track.

Finally, do remember what David said: a simple loop will bore you after 15 minutes and you will want to add to it.

My usual 2 cents'worth. BigGrin

Hi Silvano,

You can read further up the thread that Steve specifically did not want to buy a starter set. He asked what was the minimum to get analogue control of one locomotive. He does not go into detail but I assume he has a reason for this requirement to stay analogue other than cost.

Your advice is of course very valid, but it does not answer his very specific question.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline AshdownSteve  
#11 Posted : 20 January 2017 14:56:05(UTC)
AshdownSteve

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Hi Silvano,

You can read further up the thread that Steve specifically did not want to buy a starter set. He asked what was the minimum to get analogue control of one locomotive. He does not go into detail but I assume he has a reason for this requirement to stay analogue other than cost.

Your advice is of course very valid, but it does not answer his very specific question.

Just to give a bit more background; I'm trying to recreate a very specific location and era - a rural sugarbeet line in Denmark, 1950s-60s. I already have some C-track and - most importantly - a couple of analogue locos. The line never had more than a handful of locos, so I'm unlikely to be running, say, an MY-class NOHAB on there. So no need to buy anything digital for the foreseeable future.

Consequently, it seemed like the best solution was to get an analogue controller to add on to the kit I already have.

The motivation behind all this is that I own a former railway station on this line and I'm looking to recreate a bit of it in the old waiting room!

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice so far!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by AshdownSteve
Offline baggio  
#12 Posted : 20 January 2017 17:02:33(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Sounds good.

Just one little bit of advice: you must have noticed that Ray suggested transformers that are ALL GRAY.

That is not by coincidence.

Marklin used to make BLUE transformers that worked fine in the 60's but today can catch fire. You will NOT be able to tell by looking at the case if the internal wiring of a blue transformer is or not in bad shape.

The case and outside cable that you plug in the wall may look brand new, but inside the wiring may be really bad and dangerous.

Take a look here on the forum and do a search as to what people have said on point. You can also look here to see what transformers to avoid, all blue: Blue transformers

Let us see what you come up with as you progress in your project. BigGrin

Offline AshdownSteve  
#13 Posted : 20 January 2017 17:15:41(UTC)
AshdownSteve

United Kingdom   

Take a look here on the forum and do a search as to what people have said on point. You can also look here to see what transformers to avoid, all blue: Blue transformers

That's very useful to know! I'll steer clear of the blues ones...

Let us see what you come up with as you progress in your project. BigGrin

Absolutely!

Steve
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by AshdownSteve
Offline TEEWolf  
#14 Posted : 21 January 2017 02:55:32(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Hi Steve,

my recommendation is: start with a digital equipment as Maerklin offers with its starter sets.

Have a look here, please:
http://www.maerklin.de/en/products/starter-sets/

Forget about my world. This is only for kids 3 to 6 years old. If you do not have children under the age of 10 years, forget about the starter sets for kids (6+) too. You invest into a technique you really do not need and you can not use for further expansions, like the connection with the 24088. But for kids 6+ it is very helpful, because they can play with a digital railway without to be overwhelmed from the technique.

My experience (with kids about 10 years old) is that the infrared is getting boring to them - they want to use all digital functions, not only the 4 possible by the infrared controller. Also they are old enough using a MS 2 (art# 60657).
https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/60657/
https://medienpdb.maerkl.../1/pdf/60657_betrieb.pdf

But a MS 2 is incompatible to a 24088 connection. The minimum for a connection to the tracks is a MS 2 (60657), a digital box (60116)
https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/60116/
https://medienpdb.maerkl.../1/pdf/60116_betrieb.pdf

and a power supply (66361)
http://www.maerklin.de/e...s/details/article/66361/
https://medienpdb.maerkl.../1/pdf/66361_betrieb.pdf

without any cheaper alternative.

For yourself, please think about it to start with a “Märklin Mega digital starter set H0 Gauge“. So I did and I am still happy. I unpacked the set, plugged together and started playing. A set includes all necessary components for running a train and it is the cheapest way to start a MRR. Perhaps a good choice might be art# 29000
http://www.maerklin.de/e...s/details/article/29000/
too, but no rolling material comes with this set.

By the way, please are not too much troubled with the digital components. Maerklin just updates them to a new generation (form their main controller CS 2 to a CS 3) and simultaneously they changing the colour from grey to black. But except for the CS 2 to CS 3 the digital components do not change inside. So you may use grey and black digital components parallel as I do. I got 2 grey MS 2 (60653) from my starter set and I just bought a black CS 3+ (60216).
https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/60216/

regards

TEEWolf