Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Gweloboy  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2017 22:44:52(UTC)
Gweloboy

United States   
Hello.
I am new to the forum. I have a Marklin set that my dad bought when I was a child in Rhodesia. It has a brown box with a picture of a loco with deflector plates. The loco in the set is a small steam engine with 2 domes. It came with a red cocopan, brown open wagon and a closed white wagon. I am in the US and want to resurrect it. My wife brought it with her less the controller(blue 220V).

What is my best option for a controller in the US?
I am told the loco brushes are worn. Is there a place where they can be replaced?
I am looking forward to getting it running again. My friends and I spent hours playing with it and our Airfix soldiers and the cat sabotaging the train from time to time!

Cheers
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2017 23:39:36(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
For spare parts I would suggest you contact Robert Frownfeld at RJF Trains (click). He is very knowledgeable on Marklin. He may also be able to help you to source a transformer.

Otherwise you can probably find a Marklin transformer on eBay, but be careful as you may end up with one that could be a safety risk. If you do go this route make sure you get one with a plastic case, the metal case ones are getting rather long in the tooth, and are likely to require maintenance, such as power cord replacement before they are fit to use.

The set you have sounds like a start set with an 0-6-0 shunter loco and three goods wagons. Variations of this set are still offered today.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Gweloboy  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2017 00:05:37(UTC)
Gweloboy

United States   
I see posts that are not too positive about the old Blue units. Can a modern one be used on an old set like mine?
What VA rating should I use? I have extra track to make a figure-8.

Cheers
Offline Jabez  
#4 Posted : 09 January 2017 00:40:40(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Gweloboy Go to Quoted Post
It came with a red cocopan

Sorry, I can't help with your trafo question but I have not heard the term cocopan since I worked on the Reef. Thanks for the memory.

I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 09 January 2017 02:49:43(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
You can find a suitable 6646 transformer at AJCkids.com or many other dealers. The closest listed dealer in your state is Legacy Station. I don't know how much of the product line they may stock or what level of support they offer. Other regional dealers that may be able to provide you with assistance include AJCKids in northern TX, Helmut's Hobbies in VA, Reynaulds in IL, and dealers like Robert Frowenfeld in NY or EuroModelTrains in NJ.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 09 January 2017 08:30:23(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Are we talking about H0 gauge or maybe Z gauge?
"Brown box" sounds like Z gauge in the first place.

You can quickly fry Z gauge locos with an H0 transformer.
It can't hurt to mention the ref. numbers given on the boxes or controllers. It can't hurt to show some photos.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 09 January 2017 09:18:53(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Are we talking about H0 gauge or maybe Z gauge?
"Brown box" sounds like Z gauge in the first place.

You can quickly fry Z gauge locos with an H0 transformer.
It can't hurt to mention the ref. numbers given on the boxes or controllers. It can't hurt to show some photos.

This could almost be a quiz - "figure out the set". BigGrin

I had never heard 'cocopan' before, so a quick google image search confirmed it's a tipping or topper car.

Cocopan.jpg

The best-known Marklin one is the Red one included in many starter sets. But a "Brown Box" is also mentioned and like Tom I also thought of Mini-Club (Z gauge).

Marklin-4513-Freight-car-Tipping-trailers-with-Dump.jpg

But, to the best of my knowledge there has never been a Tipping Car in Miniclub, certainly not one that I've seen.

And... except for VERY early starter sets (WWII production) no H0 sets with track have been released in Brown boxes (again, as far as I know).

So now I'm scratching my head as well.

If we are talking H0, then choices for Controllers are good. They are all 16V (AC) and you can get either 110v or 220v for the US market. Make sure you get one with a plastic case, White case is current and most recent production, Blue is older but so long as the case is plastic and not Metal you'll be fine.

If we are talking Miniclub, then of course it's 8V (DC), quite a different kettle of fish.

Either way, readily available on Ebay or a Marklin Dealer such as RJF, or maybe someone here who lives nearby you might have a spare to sell/trade.

Photos would help a great deal, or the numbers from the side of the loco cab. An approximate year you got the set would also help.

In the meantime, we can have some fun guessing!!

My pick would be set 3200 available from 1957 through 1974.

3200.jpg

However the box would most likely be mainly Blue, although the late 50's boxes were a Red/Brown colour. Perhaps this is what you meant?

3200-redbox.jpg

Hope this helps. If this is what you have, well done, nice basic set, will probably go forever and easy to get parts and maintain.

Cheers.

Steve
NZ
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 09 January 2017 16:24:46(UTC)
H0

Yes, most likely it is H0 gauge.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline DaleSchultz  
#9 Posted : 09 January 2017 17:48:40(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
yes you can use any Märklin 120 Volt blue transformer with your old HO set.
10 VA is enough for one loco.
A bigger 30VA transformer is also fine and will let you run more than one loco if need be.

These days, most of us now run our trains digitally instead of varying the voltage on the tracks (analog). Digital running requires upgraded to the loco and also special controllers.

(Ex SA)
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com