Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hwestl  
#1 Posted : 13 December 2016 11:32:45(UTC)
hwestl

Sweden   
Hej

I'm a bit curious regarding the naming of the German "Baureihe" in other countries and their respective language.
What I would like to know is what one say in example Poland and in polish on a loco.
In Sweden and Swedish we say "Litttera" (from Latin) or short "Litt", in Denmark and Danish one say “Litra” (correct me if I’m wrong).
So what do one say in England in English, Ireland in English (probably the same, but still), Italy in Italian, France in French, etc etc. Also in Switzerland, is it the same word in French, German and Italian?

Thanks
Håkan

P.S. No Google Translate, please Cool
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by hwestl
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 13 December 2016 11:41:11(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
In English a literal translation would be "series", but the usual word used in this context is either "Class" or "Type"

Examples,

BR Class 40 diesel:

https://en.wikipedia.org...ki/British_Rail_Class_40

RN Type 23 frigate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_23_frigate
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 13 December 2016 13:21:47(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: hwestl Go to Quoted Post
I'm a bit curious regarding the naming of the German "Baureihe" in other countries and their respective language.
In German German it is Baureihe, abbreviated as BR without dot.
In Austrian German it is just Reihe, abbreviated as Rh. with dot.
In Swiss German it's rather Serie, abbreviation unknown to me (the Swiss members will correct me if I'm wrong). Many folks treat the Re of modern Swiss locos like the German BR, but these are completely different things.
I don't know what they say in Belgium German.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Unholz  
#4 Posted : 13 December 2016 13:49:55(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

In Swiss German it's rather Serie, abbreviation unknown to me (the Swiss members will correct me if I'm wrong).

Absolutely correct, and there is no abbreviation for this. If somebody dares to use Baureihe or BR in Switzerland, he will immediately be identified as a German native. Wink. Possible alternatives are "Typ" or "Bauart".

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 14 December 2016 05:27:18(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I don't know what they say in Belgium German.

The LSM Catalog refers to the type of Belgian locomotive models as Reeks, which I translate as the Flemish or Dutch version of the German "Reihe".
I don't know if anybody there considers their language to be Belgian German.
I don't know what the term in Wallonia is, but it is probably close to the French nomination, which would probably be "Classe" or "Type"

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 14 December 2016 05:34:20(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post

In Swiss German it's rather Serie, abbreviation unknown to me (the Swiss members will correct me if I'm wrong).

Absolutely correct, and there is no abbreviation for this. If somebody dares to use Baureihe or BR in Switzerland, he will immediately be identified as a German native. Wink. Possible alternatives are "Typ" or "Bauart".

I have heard "aus der Serie" to describe a locomotive from a particular batch, e.g. "the locomotive Re 4/4II 11363 belongs to the series 11351-11370", but never to refer to the totality of Re 4/4II production. I remember it simply being described by it's series name, e.g. "hier ist eine Re 4/4II" or "die Ae 6/6 waren ab 1952 bei der SBB im Betrieb"

Most of the times that I have heard or seen a term like "Class", "Type" used in reference to Swiss locomotives, it was in videos and books written by English, French, German, Italian and American sources.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Unholz  
#7 Posted : 14 December 2016 12:43:13(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

I have heard "aus der Serie" to describe a locomotive from a particular batch, e.g. "the locomotive Re 4/4II 11363 belongs to the series 11351-11370", but never to refer to the totality of Re 4/4II production.

Ummm... - so what do you think of the entire left column of this table? Confused https://de.wikipedia.org...n_und_Triebwagen_der_SBB
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 14 December 2016 13:32:13(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I don't know if anybody there considers their language to be Belgian German.
A small region in Belgium uses German as the official language. I don't know if German plays a role in the SNCB manuals.
See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org...#Communities_and_regions
https://en.wikipedia.org...ing_Community_of_Belgium
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0