Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mott  
#1 Posted : 10 December 2016 21:01:36(UTC)
Mott

United States   
I just registered on this forum I am not a train collector nor do I have any knowledge on the subject. I am in possession of the two model trains from the 80's I believe that to my eye at least are very nice and should be in the hands of someone who can appreciate/operate them: Historic Express Train of 1938 and the Imperial Court Train of Emperor Wilhelm ll, models 2780 and 2881 respectively. As far as I know they've never been unboxed.
I want to sell them. My question is how does one arrive at a sensible selling price? Is there a resource anyone can point me to to figure out fair market value? Any advice greatly appreciated.
Online kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2016 01:01:39(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Mott Go to Quoted Post
I just registered on this forum I am not a train collector nor do I have any knowledge on the subject. I am in possession of the two model trains from the 80's I believe that to my eye at least are very nice and should be in the hands of someone who can appreciate/operate them: Historic Express Train of 1938 and the Imperial Court Train of Emperor Wilhelm ll, models 2780 and 2881 respectively. As far as I know they've never been unboxed.
I want to sell them. My question is how does one arrive at a sensible selling price? Is there a resource anyone can point me to to figure out fair market value? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Do you have all four parts of the 2881? If not which part(s) do you have?

Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 11 December 2016 02:32:22(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Hi

eBay is the best way I know of judging practical prices but of course you need to compare same condition items which is hard, and also ignore the occasional crazy auction. Seach for auctions of the same item that actually sold.

I am an hour away from Portsmouth NH - up in Limerick, Maine give me a shout if I can help.

The 2881 set was an expensive set.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Mott  
#4 Posted : 11 December 2016 03:10:49(UTC)
Mott

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mott Go to Quoted Post

Do you have all four parts of the 2881? If not which part(s) do you have?

I have two boxes: Express Locomotive Royal Prussian RR Adm class s 10 and Attendants Car for Ladies
Imperial Court Dining Car w/ Galley. However it's entirely possible other boxes stored in attic.
Offline pab-windmills  
#5 Posted : 14 December 2016 21:14:58(UTC)
pab-windmills

United States   
Hey Mott,

I have a Scandinavian layout and know the 2870 sets pretty well.

Märklin issued 2 different sets, one in 88 and the other in 89. The sets are identical except for one little detail.

Look at the set that you have. If the 3rd class/post wagon has a little yellow box ("postbox"), the set was issued in 88 and is referred to as Version 1. If the car does not, then the set was issued in 89 and is referred to as Version 2.

Believe it or not, the former is worth more just because of the little yellow postbox! Laugh

For the last 3 sales on eBay of which I'm aware, the 2870 sets went for around $500. They are very rare here in the States; more common in Sweden.

btw, I'm just down the street from you in Haverhill, MA. Feel free to contact me if you want.

Paul