Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mario54i  
#1 Posted : 09 December 2016 14:15:14(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Has anyone used one of the Trix 185 ( TRAXX ) series, e.g. Trix 22636 185 Crossrail, in digital operation ?
They are quite different from the Märklin 185 ( 36XXX Hobby series ), Trix ones have heavy metal frame and plastic body, but some liveries ( e.g. Crossrail ) do not exist in Märklin assortment so I bought one and easily converted to three rails. Unfortunately there is something strange in the pcb, and this seems to be a common problem as it's mentioned in German and Dutch forums.
Inserting a normal ( good, tested ) Lokpilot with MTC21 plug, F0 turns on white lights at both sides, all other functions do nothing. Playing with Lokprogrammer I see that AUX1 and AUX2 do nothing, AUX3 seems to dim the white lights on one side, AUX4 turns on red lights. Combined together I got white light on one side, dimmed white light and red light together on the other.
The statement from Märklin/Trix assistance reported in one forum is (more or less) :" it works with our decoders", so what is the difference between a Märklin decoder and a Lokpilot, regarding the function outputs ? Some suggested that the decoder should have six amplified function outputs.
BTW, onto the pcb there are 6 transistors, 12 diodes and a number of resistors. What are all these components for ?
Thanks for your suggestions.

Best regards

Mario
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 09 December 2016 15:10:39(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Mario, pictures tell the whole story, so please let us see whats inside

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 09 December 2016 15:56:29(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: mario54i Go to Quoted Post
The statement from Märklin/Trix assistance reported in one forum is (more or less) :" it works with our decoders", so what is the difference between a Märklin decoder and a Lokpilot, regarding the function outputs?
ESU decoders comply with the NEM specification for 21MTC and AUX3 and AUX4 use TTL levels.

Your Trix loco requires a decoder with amplified AUX3 / AUX4 - open collector just like AUX1 and AUX2. This complies with the NMRA specification for 21MTC.

The ESU FAQ describe how you can use an ESU decoder with these locos. Cut off the pins for AUX3 and AUX4 from the 21MTC socket and connect red rear lights to AUX1 and AUX2.

Warning: using the wrong 21MTC decoder can lead to damages of loco and/or decoder. AFAIK nothing bad happens with an ESU decoder in such a TRAXX loco, but don't make experiments with C SIne locos.

BTW: Märklin have sold some TRAXX models with plastic body using the Trix moulds. There were complaints about the printing quality of the Märklin Re 482 compared to the older Trix Re 482 from the same mould.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mario54i  
#4 Posted : 10 December 2016 14:36:59(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Thanks Tom.

I was not aware that NEM MTC21 decoders are different from NMRA ones. So Märklin decoders have all amplified outputs ?
I run this loco for years without realizing that had white lights on both sides, now I wanted to sell it and checking it I noticed the problem.
I could sell it as analog DC, but considering that the possible buyer will likely put a common NEM decoder and then complain with me that the loco is defective I tried to understand the problem.
Thanks again

Best regards

Mario
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 10 December 2016 15:25:51(UTC)
H0

So Märklin decoders have all amplified outputs?
No, that would be too simple.
You can find both types with factory-installed decoders.

They made the MSD Spezial (NEM compatble) and the MSD (NMRA compatbile).

The new MSD/3 has CVs that allow you to choose between NEM and NMRA.

Do you intend to test the light functions with a different decoder before selling the loco?

The loco manual does not indicate which functions the loco has - a common problem with Trix locos.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 10 December 2016 16:57:50(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I bought the Trix 22631 when it came out. I have not as yet converted it to AC Digital. Then Maerklin released the 37446. I decided to order one of this new model and was very disappointed by the quality of the paint work. There were sections that should have been painted blue where the red paint was still visible. I noted on ebay.de a day or two later that a seller was offering a 22631 for just over 100 EUR. I made the decision at that moment to buy the second 22631, swap shells and in this manner I would have a Maerklin Re 482 with proper paint job with sound and light functions.
I was so happy with the results that I made the decision to buy a second 37446 and this time I bought a 22636 (Crossrail) and performed another swap. Once again, the total cost for the locomotive came out to under 300 EUR (No VAT Export).

I now have two Traxx locomotives with sound and complete light functions and I am very zufrieden dammit.

One of the motivations for doing the swap was also the fact that the Trix design was specifically made to work with their own decoder and was not fully compatible with other brands. I think that the Maerklin ones will work better than ESU or others out of the box if you do choose to convert.

MfG

Mike C
Offline mario54i  
#7 Posted : 15 December 2016 17:23:54(UTC)
mario54i

Italy   
Thanks for your suggestions.
I tested again using a Lokpilot FX that has all amplified function outputs and it works. F0 turns on white/red lights, AUX3 and AUX 4 turn off lights on front or rear sides, AUX3 and AUX4 together turn on white lights on both sides. So it works only if AUX3 and AUX are open collectors, or likely if are not connected. Then a Märklin MLD or a Zimo MX632D decoder must be used.
BTW, I reinserted the small board that closes the MTC21 plug for analog operation. It has another two transistors, some diodes, resistors and capacitors on board. I wonder what are all these components for.

Regards

Mario
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 15 December 2016 17:41:51(UTC)
H0

I wonder what are all these components for.
They give you headlights that change with the direction of travel.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage