Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mb300e4m  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2016 18:48:13(UTC)
mb300e4m

One of my recent 2016 acquisitions was a boxed 3611. I could not find it listed in either of my 60653s so I added it to one of them using the built in database. However the only thing that happens with the loco on the track is a hissing sound and the front head lights come on. Obviously the address was not the factory default?

On removing the tender cover, I could see that it had a decoder, I think, at least it had a circuit board and a speaker. The only identification I could see without dismantling the tender was a small round label with the number 18/05/38 on it.

With the help of my friend Google, I came to the conclusion that the original had been replaced. Can anyone suggest how I should or could proceed from here?

Keep in mind that I am new to Digital and currently at about the 0.25% knowledge level. I grew up on discrete components, wires and tubes (valves) that glow in the dark.

PC280643.JPG
PC280642.JPG
Peter B.
In Sunny Florida most of the time.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 28 November 2016 18:57:23(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
Do the sounds and lights come on all the time or only when switched by the controller? If the latter, it means you have the right address. In that case, what protocol did you tell your controller to use ? Try changing to Motorola New or DCC.

If the sounds and lights do not respond, you may have to determine or set the address being used. I am not familiar with the 60653 so I don't know if it can program the decoder or do an address search.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline mb300e4m  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2016 19:17:45(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
Do the sounds and lights come on all the time or only when switched by the controller? If the latter, it means you have the right address. In that case, what protocol did you tell your controller to use ? Try changing to Motorola New or DCC.

If the sounds and lights do not respond, you may have to determine or set the address being used. I am not familiar with the 60653 so I don't know if it can program the decoder or do an address search.

Thanks for the prompt response Dale. As soon as I apply power to the track by taking the 60653 off "STOP" the hissing sound starts and the head lights come on. It does not make any difference if I change to any other loco or "NO LOCO" on the 60653.
Peter B.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline eduard71  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2016 19:17:57(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Originally Posted by: mb300e4m Go to Quoted Post
One of my recent 2016 acquisitions was a boxed 3611. I could not find it listed in either of my 60653s so I added it to one of them using the built in database. However the only thing that happens with the loco on the track is a hissing sound and the front head lights come on. Obviously the address was not the factory default?

On removing the tender cover, I could see that it had a decoder, I think, at least it had a circuit board and a speaker. The only identification I could see without dismantling the tender was a small round label with the number 18/05/38 on it.

With the help of my friend Google, I came to the conclusion that the original had been replaced. Can anyone suggest how I should or could proceed from here?

Keep in mind that I am new to Digital and currently at about the 0.25% knowledge level. I grew up on discrete components, wires and tubes (valves) that glow in the dark.

PC280643.JPG
PC280642.JPG

Looking to your photo, I believe the locomotive has an ESU loksound decoder installed. What you need to do is to put the locomotive alone in the track and instead of using the database of the 60653 you need to use the "find" option. The find option is in the same menu as the database, just at the end. Your 60653 will find the correct address of the decoder.
Generally the ESU loksound is a multiprotocol one, so the number assigned can be in the Motorola format or DCC, in any case it will work fine.
Hope this help.

Best reagards

Eduardo
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by eduard71
Offline mb300e4m  
#5 Posted : 28 November 2016 19:21:11(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: eduard71 Go to Quoted Post

PC280643.JPG

Looking to your photo, I believe the locomotive has an ESU loksound decoder installed. What you need to do is to put the locomotive alone in the track and instead of using the database of the 60653 you need to use the "find" option. The find option is in the same menu as the database, just at the end. Your 60653 will find the correct address of the decoder.
Generally the ESU loksound is a multiprotocol one, so the number assigned can be in the Motorola format or DCC, in any case it will work fine.
Hope this help.

Best reagards

Eduardo

Thanks Eduardo, I will try that this afternoon and will post back the results.

Best regards.
Peter B.
Offline mb300e4m  
#6 Posted : 28 November 2016 19:40:14(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: eduard71 Go to Quoted Post

Hope this help.

Best reagards

Eduardo

Thanks Eduardo, I will try that this afternoon and will post back the results.

Best regards.

Hello again Eduardo,

The only menu choices I have in either 60653 are "FROM MASTER" "FROM DATABASE" and "ENTER MANUALLY". The 60653 instruction book does show the "FIND" option on page 6.

Hmmmm...
Peter B.
Offline ktsolias  
#7 Posted : 28 November 2016 20:30:26(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   

PC280643.JPG
PC280642.JPG

In the foto the decoder is not the original decoder of the 3611
Looks to me that an ESU sound decoder is intalled
Here are a couple of pictures from my original 3611IMG_08907_resize.JPG
IMG_19089_resize.JPGIMG_19091_resize.JPG

From the number on the decoder you can find what it is.
Difintly as you can see the loco is converted

Costas
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 28 November 2016 21:01:03(UTC)
H0

The only menu choices I have in either 60653 are "FROM MASTER" "FROM DATABASE" and "ENTER MANUALLY". The 60653 instruction book does show the "FIND" option on page 6.
You should try this on your Master MS2, not the Slave MS2.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mb300e4m  
#9 Posted : 28 November 2016 23:04:41(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Hi Tom, this how it went.

I could not make up my mind which 60653 was the master, so I just unplugged one of the two from the 60113 and as if by magic "FIND" appeared on the other one. It found a loco, but shows the wrong picture and does not say "WU C", I think it was, in the top line of the window as it did before. I can fix the picture and the loco name, I know how to do that, maybe. It is in the instructions.

Now the loco runs in both directions and the light function (top left) works. The other functions on the left side of the window show as F1, 2 and 3. There is one symbol showing on the top right of the screen and I have no control over the sound yet. It does not chuff, it simply hisses.

Any and all suggestions would be most welcome.

My knowledge of digital is now up to 0.449 %.

P.S. I just put the power to and now it shows WUC 20 and a steam loco to boot. Your guess is as good as mine. Now on to the sound.
Peter B.
Offline mb300e4m  
#10 Posted : 29 November 2016 15:46:42(UTC)
mb300e4m

I just put the power to it and now it shows WUC 20 and a steam loco to boot. Your guess is as good as mine. Now on to the sound.

I used the Functions settings on page 14. I changed F1 to "Sound" and F2 to "Whistle" set for 2 seconds. Now the loco chuffs and the whistle blows and even the brakes squeal when I turn the speed control knob down to zero rapidly.

My knowledge of digital has been elevated to 0.75 %. Now on to the next one, a 3618.
Peter B.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mb300e4m
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 29 November 2016 16:17:20(UTC)
H0

I used the Functions settings on page 14. I changed F1 to "Sound" and F2 to "Whistle" set for 2 seconds.
Good to hear it is working.

If the loco was recognised as DCC (something like "DCC-20" from find loco), then you can assign symbols to F5 through F15 and test if you get any more sounds - if you want to, that is. Without a symbol the keys won't to anything. Use the Shift key to test F8 through F15.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mb300e4m  
#12 Posted : 29 November 2016 17:26:59(UTC)
mb300e4m

I used the Functions settings on page 14. I changed F1 to "Sound" and F2 to "Whistle" set for 2 seconds.
Good to hear it is working.

If the loco was recognised as DCC (something like "DCC-20" from find loco), then you can assign symbols to F5 through F15 and test if you get any more sounds - if you want to, that is. Without a symbol the keys won't to anything. Use the Shift key to test F8 through F15.

Thanks Tom, for another great tip. You just added more to my knowledge. I am going to save all the tips for future reference. I think I am hooked.

I also have a GARRATT loco from Oz, it is equipped with a QSI decoder. What are the odds it will work on the Marklin system?
Peter B.
Offline GLI  
#13 Posted : 30 November 2016 02:37:09(UTC)
GLI

I also have a GARRATT loco from Oz, it is equipped with a QSI decoder. What are the odds it will work on the Marklin system?

That depends on what you mean by "the Marklin system". The QSI Decoder fitted to the Eureka Garrat uses DCC. If your digital controller will operate DCC, then you will be able to control the loco.

However, the Garrat is designed for use on a 2 rail system, not the Marklin 3 rail system. It could be fitted with a Marklin current pick up shoe and rewired internally for 3 rail operation, but your biggest problem is going to be the pe wheels which have an RP 25 wheel profile with much smaller flanges than on Marklin locos and rolling stock. I believe that some members of the forum have successfully run locos with RP 25 wheels using C track, but it would certainly not run on M track, and I don't know about K track. The biggest issue will, of course, be at points and crossings.

The other issue will be the radius of your curves. I understand that the minimum radius of operation for this loco is 18". It will not operate on R1 curves, and I think you will find R2 curves are probably too tight as well.

I don't know if this information is good news for you, but that is the situation so far as I am aware.

Regards
Geoff
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GLI
Offline mb300e4m  
#14 Posted : 30 November 2016 16:25:49(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: GLI Go to Quoted Post

That depends on what you mean by "the Marklin system". The QSI Decoder fitted to the Eureka Garrat uses DCC. If your digital controller will operate DCC, then you will be able to control the loco.

However, the Garrat is designed for use on a 2 rail system, not the Marklin 3 rail system. It could be fitted with a Marklin current pick up shoe and rewired internally for 3 rail operation, but your biggest problem is going to be the pe wheels which have an RP 25 wheel profile with much smaller flanges than on Marklin locos and rolling stock. I believe that some members of the forum have successfully run locos with RP 25 wheels using C track, but it would certainly not run on M track, and I don't know about K track. The biggest issue will, of course, be at points and crossings.

The other issue will be the radius of your curves. I understand that the minimum radius of operation for this loco is 18". It will not operate on R1 curves, and I think you will find R2 curves are probably too tight as well.

I don't know if this information is good news for you, but that is the situation so far as I am aware.

Regards
Geoff

Hello Geoff,

To clarify, by "Marklin System" I was referring to my two 60653 Master Stations.

My show layout uses Trix Express nickel silver track on which I can run any of my stuff, 2 & 3 rail, AC & DC, also course and fine scale wheels without any derailments etc. My larger/longer locos usually operate on the outer circuit which uses 4322 curves, 401.7 mm radius. Here is a link to one of my two Garratts on its first test run while I was replacing the original fiber based Trix track. https://www.facebook.com...ideos/10201402144931914/ I hope the link still works, you might have to do copy and paste. The Video is on my FB Trix Model Trains group page. During the test run, the loco was on straight DC power as I did not have a digital controller of any kind at the time.

Thanks for the information Geoff, any info is good info, it all adds to the knowledge base.
Peter B.
Offline mb300e4m  
#15 Posted : 30 November 2016 16:32:19(UTC)
mb300e4m

I see the "Reply with Quote" did not work as expected. User error perhaps?
Peter B.
Offline mb300e4m  
#16 Posted : 24 December 2016 01:19:43(UTC)
mb300e4m

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a copy of the instruction booklet for my 3611? I want to take the body off but it is not intuitive by looking at the actual loco or the exploded diagram. I have searched online but have drawn a blank.
Peter B.
Offline ktsolias  
#17 Posted : 24 December 2016 08:20:16(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
I have a copy from my 3611
Send me a mail with your e-mail and I will scan it for you (not today is Christmas)
or Whats-up No to send photos

But to take the body off there are 3 screws on the underside

2 of them in the rear of the body, you can see them between the rear trailer wheel and the last driver.
The front one is a little tricky: you have to take of the front trailer first to have access to the screw!!!!

Costas
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 24 December 2016 12:59:59(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a copy of the instruction booklet for my 3611? I want to take the body off but it is not intuitive by looking at the actual loco or the exploded diagram. I have searched online but have drawn a blank.

This is from the manual of a similar loco, the 37115.
https://static.maerklin....e11d0a8de71434541825.pdf

UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline primo.doc  
#19 Posted : 05 November 2020 12:58:35(UTC)
primo.doc

Italy   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post

PC280643.JPG
PC280642.JPG

In the foto the decoder is not the original decoder of the 3611
Looks to me that an ESU sound decoder is intalled
Here are a couple of pictures from my original 3611IMG_08907_resize.JPG
IMG_19089_resize.JPGIMG_19091_resize.JPG

From the number on the decoder you can find what it is.
Difintly as you can see the loco is converted

Costas

Hello, I am a passionate Italian Marklin. While browsing the web for some information to fix a problem with my 3611 I saw this old post.
Now I have a problem with turning on the front lights: while the rear lights turn on and switch, the front ones don't work. I have verified that the LEDs are working and they are.
I ask you if possible send me a photo of the locomotive inside where you can see the connections to the tracks of the plate that reach the front lights. Or if you tell me how the wires of the different colors are connected, which start from the PCB in the tender, in the locomotive.
Thank you very much for your reply which would help me a lot.
Best Regards
Primo
Offline ktsolias  
#20 Posted : 06 November 2020 10:04:25(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi

The problem is common with the 3611 and the others with the same frame.
The front LEDs are on the body.
The current to the front LEDs is coming trough a PCB witch is mounted on the frame. At the front end there are some (4) contacts with contact springs between the frame and body.

You can see in this photo the contact springs on the body:

IMG_19096A_resize.JPG

To go there you must take off the body ( is described how to do that in the booklet of the loco).

Then you can clean the contacts and bend the springs as much as required. Be careful for short circuits. The two outer spring are for the lower lights and the two inner for the third light.

Measure if current arrive there (on the PCB contacts) with the lights on first.

Usually the problem solved this way.

In case that there is no result you have to check the connections of the lanterns to the body.

As a last measure is to connect wires between the contacts. (I don't recommend something like this

Regards

Costas
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline primo.doc  
#21 Posted : 06 November 2020 11:07:35(UTC)
primo.doc

Italy   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
Hi

The problem is common with the 3611 and the others with the same frame.
The front LEDs are on the body.
The current to the front LEDs is coming trough a PCB witch is mounted on the frame. At the front end there are some (4) contacts with contact springs between the frame and body.

You can see in this photo the contact springs on the body:

IMG_19096A_resize.JPG

To go there you must take off the body ( is described how to do that in the booklet of the loco).

Then you can clean the contacts and bend the springs as much as required. Be careful for short circuits. The two outer spring are for the lower lights and the two inner for the third light.

Measure if current arrive there (on the PCB contacts) with the lights on first.

Usually the problem solved this way.

In case that there is no result you have to check the connections of the lanterns to the body.

As a last measure is to connect wires between the contacts. (I don't recommend something like this

Regards

Costas

Thanks so much for the quick reply, I try the whole thing.
But I doubt that whoever had done the digitization before my purchase made a mistake in connecting the PCB in the tender to the loco.
This is why I was wondering if anyone had the wiring diagram between the PCB and the circuit on the LED board in the site
Regards
Primo
Offline ktsolias  
#22 Posted : 06 November 2020 13:31:40(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   

The connection from the locomotive to the decoder is made using 5 thin strands through the locomotive-tender coupling:

3311, 3611, 3613, 3614
vi - violet - headlight *
gr -grey - common voltage from decoder [U +] *
rt -red - case ground
ge -yellow - Motor
bl -blue - engine
3511, 3514
vi - purple - common voltage from decoder [U +] *
gr -grey - headlight *
rt -red - case ground
ge -yellow - Motor
bl -blue - engine
* Depending on the model, the colors can also be connected the other way around.
I found a 3311 with this wiring. In a 3511 it was exactly the opposite.

But check
Costas
Offline primo.doc  
#23 Posted : 06 November 2020 13:56:29(UTC)
primo.doc

Italy   
Thank you very much for helping
Best Regards
Primo