Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dreadnought  
#1 Posted : 27 November 2016 17:50:04(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Yesterday Herself and I went to the local Marklin Dealer. The official reason was to return the "shop queen", a 216 class bought on ebay for further repairs. I took advantage of the visit to breathe on the display cases, and offer up silent prayers to Santa.

I looked at the new 144 class, (37443). The dealer put it on the tracks. It ran beautifully. The sounds were perfect. I particularly loved the pantographs that are raised and lowered with the function keys. I could just see it on my layout, starting out with its load, both pantographes up, then as it gathered speed, the front open coming down, slowly, realistically, and with the appropriate sounds. The grills looked finer, and more detailed than previous models, at least to me. Herself was enchanted, "How cute", the equivalent, in "herspeak" of "buy it", at least in jewelry stores.

I also looked at, and ran the 628.2 rail car (37443). I loved the colours, it would add a bright touch to the otherwise green era 3 stock, and red era 5. The lights were wonderful, and the destination boards a lovely added feature. It would be wonderful running on my "branch line", the short elevated loop on my layout. The coupling between the cars was very well done. It did not rate a "how cute" from Herself. I think I know which one Santa is more likely to put under the tree!

Before I write to Santa with my Christmas "wish", aka "you hope" list, has any one got either of these, and what is the opinion of them?
thanks 16 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 27 November 2016 17:58:44(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
nicely written post! Good luck in December!
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2016 19:52:32(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I guess you're referring to the 37728 628.2 railcar.

I bought one of these recently and I'm very pleased with it it.

My only reservation is the DCM motor which in my opinion is outdated and can be a bit rough and noisy at slow speeds. I think they could have taken the opportunity to fit this model with a newer can motor. Having said that, my model runs fairly smoothly and the motor noise is masked by the operating sounds form the speaker.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline jcrtrains  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2016 20:24:16(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
As my Birthday is five days before xmas, my wife allowed the use of her card on one of the Black Friday sales in preparation for the blessed event. It was mostly small scenery accessories and a couple of freight cars. My local store also got a visit Saturday. Combined with my planned xmas present in the other thread, it will be a great holiday season and January. Let it snow, let it snow.
Offline baggio  
#5 Posted : 30 November 2016 05:14:16(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Dreadnought:

The title of your post reminded me of when I was a kid in Italy and we were studying British English. BigGrin

It must have been 50 years since I heard that name.

Out of curiosity, why did you use "Father Christmas" rather than "Santa Claus"?

santa claus.jpg

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by baggio
Offline Dreadnought  
#6 Posted : 30 November 2016 14:58:09(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Hello Bagio,

i have lived on both sides of the Atlantic. As a result I am quite familiar with the term "Father Christmas". Many of the members of this forum are from England, Scotland, Ireland, and Ulster, or learned English from British English speakers. It just made sense to me to use the term likely to be most readily understood.
I also tend to use "coach", and "carriage" interchangeably, similarly "truck" and "car".

Has anyone any experience of the new 144? Herself, oops, I mean Santa waits for my answer.

D
Offline GlennM  
#7 Posted : 30 November 2016 16:33:40(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post
Hello Bagio,

i have lived on both sides of the Atlantic. As a result I am quite familiar with the term "Father Christmas". Many of the members of this forum are from England, Scotland, Ireland, and Ulster, or learned English from British English speakers. It just made sense to me to use the term likely to be most readily understood.
I also tend to use "coach", and "carriage" interchangeably, similarly "truck" and "car".

Has anyone any experience of the new 144? Herself, oops, I mean Santa waits for my answer.

D

Dreadnought

Nigel has one and seeing it run it is very nice and I am rethinking my decision not to buy one.

Nigel said he had been told that it was one of the best locos ever built by Marklin and he was also impressed.

I think if you were lucky enough to receive one on the morning of the 25th I think you will be very happy with the new edition.

BR
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline sjbartels  
#8 Posted : 30 November 2016 17:35:09(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post
Hello Bagio,

D

Growing up in Australia, exact the way for me mate
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline Dreadnought  
#9 Posted : 30 November 2016 19:51:42(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Thank you Glenn,

Done !!

I have the 144 on hold for "Santa" to pick up. Should she fail to remember "how cute" it is, I shall have Santa's elf, (me) do the pickup. December 25 th just got even better!
Offline DaleSchultz  
#10 Posted : 30 November 2016 20:49:06(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
for South Africans, we also use "Father Christmas". Part of our British heritage.

We also say catenary "caTENary" and not catenry :-)
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz