Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baggio  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2016 02:11:32(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, Guys:

Here is a "deal":

Empty box for sale

Does this make sense?
Offline sjbartels  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2016 02:58:25(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Guys:

Here is a "deal":

Empty box for sale

Does this make sense?

I'd put that auction in the absurd category. When I was at Eurospoor there was a 4020 box form the 1950's and they didn't want close to that even, this is a pretty recent box. I can't see it flying off the shelf for sure
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
Offline baggio  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2016 03:19:58(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
It does include 40 Euros for shipment, however. Spending 40 Euros to get an empty box is rather "eccentric".

It certainly is an strange notion to pay that kind of money for a box that did not come with the locos, if if one had them.

It is one thing to say I have to sell two locos with THEIR original box and I have two locos to sell with a box from the same locos.
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 21 November 2016 03:17:59(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The price of leerkartons has gone up over the past year. I used to be able to get pretty much whatever I was looking for in the 15-25 EUR range. Since the end of 2015, these prices have now gone up to 35-60 for a complete box with plastic liner. In many cases, all that I needed was the plastic liner, so at 15-25, it was worth it. The generic replacement trays and shells are available from Maerklin/Roco for between 7 and 15 EUR, but the plastic or foam liners are not sold separately by Maerklin or by Roco.

I now have a spare plastic liner for each of my Maerklin locomotive types and some spares for Roco models too. This came in handy for example when one of the end pieces on the cradle for one of my Ae 6/6s snapped off or when I discovered that one of my Roco Re 4/4IIs came with a cardboard sheet under the wheels. I had the moulded plastic one as a spare and I swapped it out right away.

As far as ordering them from Europe, when you order a single item and the seller wants 40 EUR for a Postpaket, it can be a little much. From a dealer, you can always add an item or two to divide the shipping cost between items, but if you only want that item or the seller has nothing else of interest, it pretty much makes the price prohibitive. In a few instances, where I have developed relationships with dealers or people in Europe, I have had items shipped to them (domestically) and then forwarded to me as part of a larger order from them.

You can also ask the seller to send a leerkarton as letter mail, which should cost 7-15 EUR, but you will likely not have tracking or insurance on the shipment and an empty box in a lightweight mailer might be more damage prone during handling than in a larger box (parcel). In the end, the decision is yours and you can make whatever arrangement with the seller that you wish.

For the auction cited by Baggio, the item includes only the outer carton and does not contain the actual inner cartons and liners for either of the loks in this set. I do not think that this alone is worth the 30 EUR asking price. I would estimate the actual lok cartons at around 35-40 each and the outer box at 10-15 tops.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline ShannonN  
#5 Posted : 21 November 2016 05:13:38(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
The price of leerkartons has gone up over the past year. I used to be able to get pretty much whatever I was looking for in the 15-25 EUR range. Since the end of 2015, these prices have now gone up to 35-60 for a complete box with plastic liner. In many cases, all that I needed was the plastic liner, so at 15-25, it was worth it. The generic replacement trays and shells are available from Maerklin/Roco for between 7 and 15 EUR, but the plastic or foam liners are not sold separately by Maerklin or by Roco.

I now have a spare plastic liner for each of my Maerklin locomotive types and some spares for Roco models too. This came in handy for example when one of the end pieces on the cradle for one of my Ae 6/6s snapped off or when I discovered that one of my Roco Re 4/4IIs came with a cardboard sheet under the wheels. I had the moulded plastic one as a spare and I swapped it out right away.

As far as ordering them from Europe, when you order a single item and the seller wants 40 EUR for a Postpaket, it can be a little much. From a dealer, you can always add an item or two to divide the shipping cost between items, but if you only want that item or the seller has nothing else of interest, it pretty much makes the price prohibitive. In a few instances, where I have developed relationships with dealers or people in Europe, I have had items shipped to them (domestically) and then forwarded to me as part of a larger order from them.

You can also ask the seller to send a leerkarton as letter mail, which should cost 7-15 EUR, but you will likely not have tracking or insurance on the shipment and an empty box in a lightweight mailer might be more damage prone during handling than in a larger box (parcel). In the end, the decision is yours and you can make whatever arrangement with the seller that you wish.

For the auction cited by Baggio, the item includes only the outer carton and does not contain the actual inner cartons and liners for either of the loks in this set. I do not think that this alone is worth the 30 EUR asking price. I would estimate the actual lok cartons at around 35-40 each and the outer box at 10-15 tops.

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike, Was only saying to a friend last week about eBay being full of empty freight car boxes like I see ozfreight empty boxes @ 2.50 plus 7.50 postage here in OZ. I can buy the ozfreight carriage and box new for 7 dollars with a 5 postage...

I guess its a case of what the market will pay. I'm shocked at the ridiculous prices on new Marklin, Rocco, Fleischmann stuff, and members here have mentioned they are willing to pay 800 euros for a loco and hide it in a display case and I guess sit in front of a very expensive collection drool and whatever.

To get the market at an affordable level for the non working (Pensioner) who rents like me and has no assets or income from super etc.

I'm thinking ppl just refuse to purchase anything for twelve months all MMR clubs just boycott all brands and seller and watch how quick the prices tumble after six months> I know it can't be done cause ppl will say its my right blah blah and they're right those with money don't care about anything but the purchase at times

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ShannonN
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 21 November 2016 05:41:50(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I wouldn't buy empty cartons it could be full of contaminated air, germs and bacteria, have to keep the country clean and healthy

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 21 November 2016 07:12:18(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I don't think that there is any more health risk buying a leerkarton from a dealer or a reputable seller than there would be buying any other ebay item.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline ShannonN  
#8 Posted : 22 November 2016 06:33:09(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
I wouldn't buy empty cartons it could be full of contaminated air, germs and bacteria, have to keep the country clean and healthy

John

Not only that it probably would be confiscated by customs as "something you're not allowed to bring into the country anyway

Offline Jabez  
#9 Posted : 23 November 2016 19:34:31(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I recall a hilarious 'candid camera' spoof from years ago when a shipper was called in to collect some empties. The 'empties' were large sealed cardboard cartons with helium balloons hidden inside them. They had to be tied down to keep 'em in place.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez