Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ShadowXIX  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2016 07:24:10(UTC)
ShadowXIX

United States   
Good evening everyone,
The local Marklin dealer near me has a nice 37955 set (the twin CL03 steam engines, black and blue) that they're willing to sell me at a discount.
I really want to snap it up as they generously let me test the engines with my MS2 that I just got and the engines seemed to run just fine.

My question is, could these steamers be easily converted to have sound as well?
I have never converted anything or installed a decoder in anything so wondering if this is something that is a doable project for a rookie like me?

Thanks for the help!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ShadowXIX
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 17 November 2016 03:54:19(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Yes there is space for a speaker in the tenders for sound conversion. Not sure if conversion to sound is really something you want to do yourself as a rookie though.
It has a socket PCB for the decoder, so that part is quite simple, more the problem is getting the correct sounds for the model - though I think you should be able to buy them pre-loaded and correct enough.

More the problem is that buy the time you spend the time and money doing a sound conversion, it is usually cheaper buying a model with sound already installed.
Of course if it is a unique model and that is the only option, sure - but in the case of the BR03 there are many models available that do have sound.
This is also highlighted in that the Marklin model (37955) of the blue BR03 f-zug steamer is inaccurate.
If you like the model then don't let that hold you back though, just letting you know. If the blue BR03 is what catches your eye due to the colour, Roco make the correct version (69281).
There are a couple of BR01's for sale on the forums here for a good deal, with sounds - maybe check them out and compare pricing?
https://www.marklin-user...tal-Locomotives-For-Sale
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Online Dave Banks  
#3 Posted : 17 November 2016 09:12:41(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
This was done a few years ago when ESU V3.5 was the decoder of my choice. Hope these pictures give you some idea of what to expect:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
D.A.Banks
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 17 November 2016 13:29:17(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Dave,

wonderful and clean conversion, these days you can use an ESU sound decoder 21 pin V4 M and an adapter plate (51968 with 6 Aux functions) , you can also use 2 ball bearings on your armature, by drilling a 4mm hole into the brush plate and at the back just push out the plastic insert (4mm) to buy ball bearings ask or get 4mm x 2mm x 1.5mm) and change both headlights and tender lights with led's and you can exactly the same set up or conversion Dave has supplied

you than have options for your Aux functions:

1.) smoke generator = Aux 1
2.) gear light = Aux 3
3.) cab light = Aux 4
4.) fire box light = Aux 5
5.) telex coupling = Aux 2

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 18 November 2016 03:14:29(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: DaveB Go to Quoted Post
This was done a few years ago when ESU V3.5 was the decoder of my choice. Hope these pictures give you some idea of what to expect:

Nice upgrade work Dave - very clean and extremely nicely executed.

I like doing my own upgrades because my older locos are so much tidier inside than they were when Märklin delivered them originally.

If you do a bearings and led upgrade also, as John suggests, you would have a really sweet loco when you were done. That breakout of the Aux functions can be hard to figure out on your first go and will save you some serious head scratching. BigGrin

That might be quite a bit to take on as a beginner but definitely an excellent goal for the long run. Sometimes I think I enjoy my upgrade work more than actually running my locos. Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline ShadowXIX  
#6 Posted : 20 November 2016 07:16:42(UTC)
ShadowXIX

United States   
Gentlemen,
Thank you for the replies.
Looks to be a bit out of my league as a rookie. Blink
I've never done a DCC or chip install of any sort.
Was hoping it was a simple swap that I could learn on.
Oh well. Sometimes I just like hearing the models run without any sound so doesn't really upset me.

As for why on these two. I wanted this double set ever since it came out years ago.
I was able to get these two for half price from a local dealer who is trying to clear inventory so I bit and got the set and have a couple sound equipped units on layaway.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ShadowXIX
Offline ShannonN  
#7 Posted : 20 November 2016 08:10:19(UTC)
ShannonN

Australia   
Originally Posted by: ShadowXIX Go to Quoted Post
Gentlemen,
Thank you for the replies.
Looks to be a bit out of my league as a rookie. Blink
I've never done a DCC or chip install of any sort.
Was hoping it was a simple swap that I could learn on.
Oh well. Sometimes I just like hearing the models run without any sound so doesn't really upset me.

As for why on these two. I wanted this double set ever since it came out years ago.
I was able to get these two for half price from a local dealer who is trying to clear inventory so I bit and got the set and have a couple sound equipped units on layaway.

Another less expensive way is to find the correct .wav file for the loco sound and just play it (from the slow start) to full speed from an old phone hooked up to a speaker, while not synced to loco speed it will however provide some atmosphere when running at speed continuously. I have digital railway programs on computer as well as ho Marklin stuff can't afford more than starter kit stuff so i record the appropriate sounds (Steam, Diesel from Railworks TS 2017 or Auran Trainz 12 and do as above.

Saves time and money
Shanny

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ShannonN