Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tex  
#1 Posted : 01 November 2016 05:12:18(UTC)
Tex

United States   

According to Maerklin , tank cars in Europe are privately owned and identified by a white P behind the cars number. Also they are often run in unit trains with petroleum products and loaded in large refineries. tank cars with smaller quantities are often delivered in ordinary freight trains. This is much the same as in the united states except that the cars are owned by tank car leasing companies and are painted black and are identified with an X after the leasing companies initials. Also, they do not carry the name of an oil company and carry the products of who ever leases them.

I am in the process of building a unit train of tank cars and have five ARAL tank cars ( two dark blue, two white and one light blue ) . I also have tank cars from two other oil companies. I would like to know if the unit train could contain all seven cars and would an oil company object to their products being transported in tank cars bearing the name of another oil company. Confused

Tex
Offline SteamNut  
#2 Posted : 01 November 2016 08:35:17(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I am certainly no expert on German train compositions but since these cars are most likely are loaded loaded from the same tanker at a port like Hamburg most likely a unit train would be mixed. On mixed freight trains I read somewhere that hazardous cars are located towards the rear on the train. Hope this helps-Fred
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteamNut
Tex
Offline twmarklinfan  
#3 Posted : 01 November 2016 09:09:17(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Tex Go to Quoted Post

According to Maerklin , tank cars in Europe are privately owned and identified by a white P behind the cars number. Also they are often run in unit trains with petroleum products and loaded in large refineries. tank cars with smaller quantities are often delivered in ordinary freight trains. This is much the same as in the united states except that the cars are owned by tank car leasing companies and are painted black and are identified with an X after the leasing companies initials. Also, they do not carry the name of an oil company and carry the products of who ever leases them.

I am in the process of building a unit train of tank cars and have five ARAL tank cars ( two dark blue, two white and one light blue ) . I also have tank cars from two other oil companies. I would like to know if the unit train could contain all seven cars and would an oil company object to their products being transported in tank cars bearing the name of another oil company. Confused

Tex

Hi Tex

I used to work in the oil industry and you are ok mixing tank cars. There are some scenarios that allow for that.
1. Buyers may use for that one supplier of products, so he could be receiving a delivery from more than one company at the same time.
2. There are common user terminals which belong to several companies and you could see many different tank wagons being loaded or unloaded there
3 oil companies do trade/swap products between themselves and would also swap tank cars to meet capacity needs.

Real life gives you plenty of scope to run a train with different tank wagons in it

Adrian
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by twmarklinfan
Tex