Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline manou  
#1 Posted : 24 October 2016 13:32:43(UTC)
manou

Greece   
hello everyone,

i am going to visit Bavaria on 12th November. The center of my trip will be Regensburg. I will also plan to visit Nuremberg Transport Museum and Deutsche Dampflokomotiv Museum.
Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Also does anyone knows a second hand shop in Munich or Nuremberg?

regards,

Yannis

Edited by user 25 October 2016 12:54:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best Regards
Yannis
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 24 October 2016 18:58:40(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: manou Go to Quoted Post
hello everyone,

i am going to visit Bavaria on 12th November. The center of my trip will be Regensburg. I will also plan to visit Nuremberg Transport Museum and Deutsche Dampflokomotiv Museum.

regards,

Yannis

There are certainly Marklin shops in both those cities. Check the marklin Handlersearch website.

I don't know specific second hand shops though, but as I expect to be there in late November would also appreciate knowing.

Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 24 October 2016 19:42:17(UTC)
Minok

United States   
If your in München for more than a day I also recommend for many technology reasons: http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/information/
The German Museum (Deutsches Museum)
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 27 October 2016 04:21:06(UTC)
TEEWolf

Hi,

in Nuernberg and Munich you will find Maerklin dealers. Please have a look here:

München
Nuernberg

A major problem in Germany is, that more and more people (including myself) buying via the internet and not in shops. In my home town the Maerklin dealer closed this year.Huh

But in Munich and Nuernberg are still a few ones. I myself have been in Nuernberg at a digital day at "Eisenbahn Dörfler Inh. Rudolf Böhlein, Nürnberg". I do not remember, if he had used material, but I bought a new set of beer coaches from Maerklin, which was on sale for a good price. I think the shop is worthwhile for a visit and not too far away from the DB museum you want to visit anyway.

For best price used offers, I am searching in the internet. But Dörfler gave me good advice too. It is a pitty that it is too far away to my home for just a short shopping event. But in Nuernberg is a internet sales shop named "voelkner". Very good offers and I bought already a few pieces for my model railroad at the shop - via internetBigGrin. But I think, they do not have a public customer shop. Perhaps Conrad does have one in Nuernberg, but Conrad is not inexpensive.

In Munich is a shop in the Karstadt warehouse, directly in opposite of the Munich central station (yeah not a CS it is the real and live grand central station of Munich). This shop offers very often special Maerklin models, which you normally do not get in other shops. E.g. I posted here a picture from the this year Oktoberfest coach.

Regards

TEEWolf
Offline manou  
#5 Posted : 27 October 2016 08:46:41(UTC)
manou

Greece   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

in Nuernberg and Munich you will find Maerklin dealers. Please have a look here:

München
Nuernberg

A major problem in Germany is, that more and more people (including myself) buying via the internet and not in shops. In my home town the Maerklin dealer closed this year.Huh

But in Munich and Nuernberg are still a few ones. I myself have been in Nuernberg at a digital day at "Eisenbahn Dörfler Inh. Rudolf Böhlein, Nürnberg". I do not remember, if he had used material, but I bought a new set of beer coaches from Maerklin, which was on sale for a good price. I think the shop is worthwhile for a visit and not too far away from the DB museum you want to visit anyway.

For best price used offers, I am searching in the internet. But Dörfler gave me good advice too. It is a pitty that it is too far away to my home for just a short shopping event. But in Nuernberg is a internet sales shop named "voelkner". Very good offers and I bought already a few pieces for my model railroad at the shop - via internetBigGrin. But I think, they do not have a public customer shop. Perhaps Conrad does have one in Nuernberg, but Conrad is not inexpensive.

In Munich is a shop in the Karstadt warehouse, directly in opposite of the Munich central station (yeah not a CS it is the real and live grand central station of Munich). This shop offers very often special Maerklin models, which you normally do not get in other shops. E.g. I posted here a picture from the this year Oktoberfest coach.

Regards

TEEWolf

Thank you for your reply and recommendations.
A friend of mine told me also to visit http://www.spielart-muenchen.de/de/about.html
Have you ever visited this ?

Regards.
Yannis
Best Regards
Yannis
Offline Chipopo  
#6 Posted : 27 October 2016 10:00:36(UTC)
Chipopo

Israel   
Try to reach the Hans Porsche Traumwerk

I really enjoyed it ThumpUp
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 27 October 2016 12:39:07(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Chipopo Go to Quoted Post

You will need your own vehicle to reach the Traumwerk, it is not near a railway station. It is also a reasonable distance east of Munich, almost at the Austrian border.

Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 27 October 2016 19:41:59(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Chipopo Go to Quoted Post

You will need your own vehicle to reach the Traumwerk, it is not near a railway station. It is also a reasonable distance east of Munich, almost at the Austrian border.

Not exactly, Cool because the Porsche Traumwerk is only about 6 Kilometers away from the next railway station, which is Piding. A nice walk of about an hour from train to train.BigGrin

Piding is directly at the train routing Munich - Freilassing - Berchtesgaden. It is one stop before Bad Reichenhall and 8 km away from Berchtesgaden. But indeed. from Munich it is about a distance of about 130 km.

You may have a look here:

railway line Freilassing - Bad Reichenhall

Oha,Huh I just read on the hompage of the Porsche Traumwerk, due to renovation works it is closed between 7th and 14th of November 2016.
Offline TEEWolf  
#9 Posted : 27 October 2016 20:40:40(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thank you for your reply and recommendations.
A friend of mine told me also to visit http://www.spielart-muenchen.de/de/about.html
Have you ever visited this ?

Regards.
Yannis

Sorry Yannis, I left Munich in 1994 and I never visited this shop.

But the recommendation with the "Deutsches Musem" from Minok is good too. The museum is on an island in the river Isar and not far away from the S-Bahnstation Isartor - only 3 stations from the central station Munich. Because they have not only big original machines (eg locos as well as aircrafts), they also have quite a nice model railroad inside too.

Actually you may walk from Karstadt to the Deutsches Museum and on your way you pass some nice, well-known beerhouses beside the route, like the "Augustiner Bräu", "Schneider Weise Bräu" and even by a 200 m sidestep the famous "Hofbräuhaus". Because the way leads you right through the heart of Munich, which is from the Stachus via the Townhall at the Marienplatz to the Isartor. It is also the shopping and tourist mile in Munich par excellence. In the central station you may get a city map of the inner city of Munich and a map of the public transportaion system. Even ask for a map version not only in English also they mayhave it in Greek too. And they explain you the payment system as well. It is easy in Munich and downtown you find alomst all hints not only in German also in English too. (In the public transportation system also in Turkish.RollEyes Laugh).

A car or even a taxi is wasting time and money downtown Munich. The public transportation is excellent. You got there bus lines, tram (railway on the street), S-Bahn (local DB AG railway), U-Bahn (subway) and of course plenty of pedestrian areas with off limits to all vehicles.

Also you should not miss the "Viktualienmarkt" close to the Marienplatz. It is a fresh green market with a nowhere else seen extensive offer of fresh products, a "must" in Munich too. I never know such a big green market place anywhere else in Germany and I know Germany very well.

Regards

Wolfgang
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 27 October 2016 21:26:45(UTC)
TEEWolf

hello everyone,

regards,

Yannis

Yannnis,

because it has nothing to do with a model railroad, I forgot it. But in Munich is the headquarter of BMW. Perhaps if you are interested in BMW, you take the subway to the station "Olympiapark" and there you find the BMW Museum and BMW World and even a huge production plant of BMW. Right beside the place, where the Olympic Games 1972 happened.

Looked up for you some homepages:

BMW
Munich homepage
Munich public transportation

Enjoy it

Regards

Wolfgang
Offline manou  
#11 Posted : 29 October 2016 00:23:47(UTC)
manou

Greece   
Thank you all and especially Wolfgang, for the recommendations. I will try to fit them all in my schedule, although traumwerk will be difficult

Regards
Yannis
Best Regards
Yannis