Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 23 October 2016 00:59:10(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
What I would like to see is some sort of Maerklin Digital for Dummies where the practical basics of Maerklin digital control hardware is explained. By this I mean what the inputs and outputs of the three black boxes are, not an explanation of how each black box internally converts its inputs to its outputs, that can remain 'magic' at this basic level.
My understanding, which may well be wrong in general and in detail, is that:

Black Box 1, the switched mode power pack, takes input of 240/120V mains power and outputs +/-16V power in a form suitable for the digital system
Black Box 2, the track box, takes this power input and outputs some if it through the connector to power:
Black Box 3, the MS2, which also takes inputs from buttons and control knob, converts them into digital signals which it superimposes on the power in its circuitry received from BB2 and re-exports this digital-signal-enhanced power to BB2 which combines the signal-enhanced power with the raw power received from BB1 and exports this power-signal-package to the centre rail studs.
This package of signal+power is received by the decoder of any loco or accessory in contact with the centre studs which uses the signal info to command the loco or accessory to use the power to fulfill this command which has been issued by the MS2.

If this flow of input and output is correct, or a corrected version of it is presented, we can better understand what connections must be made to insure that decoders/accessories are receiving the inputs that they need for proper operation.

The understanding of what is going on is essential, and I for one, am somewhat hazy about it.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 23 October 2016 08:45:00(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Re BB1: Just a simple DC power supply. Output is 18 V DC in case of the MS2, but other voltages will also work. The 60113 box can also be used with AC - not sure if that still applies to the new dark grey version.

Re BB2: The track box is a simple computer that creates the track signal and amplifies it (built-in booster).

Re BB3: The MS2 handles the user input and forwards information to the trackbox.

Re track signal: It is just DC with alternating polarity. The pattern of polarity changes transports the digital instructions to the loco and accessory decoders. Different timings between polarity changes make a 0 or a 1 (a binary digit). A command is a packet of binary digits, containing e.g. loco address and desired speed.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Jabez  
#3 Posted : 25 October 2016 19:24:25(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Thanks, that's just what I was looking for, particularly the function of the track box or BB2 as I called it.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams