Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2016 17:26:33(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Was scanning through New Items Fall 2016 when I came across 43992 Axillary baggage car which will have a sound decoder with 16 functions as follows:

Interior lights
On/off function
Marker light(s)
Load area door
Electric cart
Conductor – delay
Hens & goat
Loading – malfunction
Conductor – irritation
Hectic goings-on
Conductor – instructions
Conductor – departure
Loading helper – irritation
Conductor – instructions 2
Shipping documents
Conductor – toilet

It supposedly tells a little story of some late running freight. Now then am I getting a little old and grumpy or is this the future of our hobby? If I could hear a bit better I could envisage playing through the functions once and perhaps twice and then the novelty wears off and the same when relatives/visitors come to the train room. Do we really need a function for the conductor on the loo ( and whilst in the station)?. Oh and its only 150 Euros. I dread to think what they will dream up when 32 functions is the standard.
Offline Jabez  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2016 20:08:09(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
The driver coughing and spitting into the firebox and the fireman farting is probably still to come.
Jabez.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline CanadianKid  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2016 20:17:56(UTC)
CanadianKid

Canada   
Well, I personally will wait for the day when the faller car system will morph into moving preiserlings, with leg movement.
Thanks,
Matthew
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by CanadianKid
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 20 October 2016 22:31:19(UTC)
Minok

United States   
No more necessary than the humping preiserlings ... its fun for a narrow group of folks. With a computer automated solution, you could have the computer occasionally play one of the random effects in a station, that could be fun, but for normal manual operation, yeah it would get old.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2016 08:32:10(UTC)
H0

The first baggage cars with sound, 49962 and 49964, came in 2004 and 2005 respectively.
Many ended up in clearance sales.

Märklin offer items for sale and try something new (something old, something borrowed, something blue) from time to time. And we buy what we like.
If many people like it, then similar cars will follow.

The decoder in 49962 was not locked, allowing you to add any sounds of your own liking. You don't like the conductor loo? How about having your child sign Happy Birthday?
The new car could be locked, inhibiting own sound uploads.

It seems the sleeping car with the loo sound was successful - enough success to make a follow-up car with conductor loo.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 21 October 2016 11:30:41(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Yuk! BigGrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 21 October 2016 20:34:57(UTC)
Minok

United States   
No this could be good. The MFX+ evolution would be the car dumping some brown pellets on the tracks in the station... Then you would have to deploy your track bed cleaning vehicle to clean up the mess. I see where this is going...
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline EMD_GP7  
#8 Posted : 21 October 2016 21:24:08(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
The driver coughing and spitting into the firebox and the fireman farting is probably still to come.
Jabez.

Special Southern Pacific issue hood for use with flatulent firemen.

UserPostedImage

Colin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by EMD_GP7
Offline Rwill  
#9 Posted : 21 October 2016 23:15:34(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
If I may say so, the earlier sound baggage cars seem to fulfil another function. At the time when lok decoders were developing sound, M introduced the baggage cars with sound for use with a lok without sound so they puffed and whistled etc. You can still buy one type new from Joes at an excruciating price and I bet he doesn’t sell too many! One flaw in the idea is that the baggage car must fit with the lok and the consist you are running.

However, this latest model does open further possibilities to those already suggested. The MFx thingy could be used to develop a whole new sphere in “World of Operation” involving animal husbandry, freight manifests and of course the operation of on board facilities! Which naturally leads on to another area of marketing opportunity which. I think M have missed out on for too long. For at least thirty years we have had the option of passing electric current through Johnsons Baby Oil and emitting a white smoke that smells of – well burning Baby oil. Yet we all remember the real thing belching out a dark brew of smelly smoke. And that’s where it stopped even a few ESU diesel loks still smell of Baby Oil. So, I believe with 32 functions to use we could surely generate some more realistic railway odours to savour. That is of course until they list a new item of a baggage car with conductor on the toilet surely then we have taken it just too far.
Offline Jabez  
#10 Posted : 21 October 2016 23:53:20(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: EMD_GP7 Go to Quoted Post

Special Southern Pacific issue hood for use with flatulent firemen.
Colin

Great find. It makes me recall the words of the recent, reluctant Nobel laureate,
How many beans can a tin can hold,
How many beans in the can,
The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

Offline Jabez  
#11 Posted : 22 October 2016 02:28:04(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post

However, this latest model does open further possibilities to those already suggested.

What has disappointed me is that the sound effect for blowing off steam only replicates the short blast to purge the cylinder drain cocks, essential and authentic of course, but I would also have liked the prolonged hiss of the safety valves blowing off which was such a characteristic sound and sight of steam locos at rest. Should be so easy to do with the channels used for for grate shakers, generators, etc. which are very nice, but less characteristic, at least in my memory.

Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 22 October 2016 07:03:07(UTC)
H0

If I may say so, the earlier sound baggage cars seem to fulfil another function.
They have a different purpose, but do not fulfil it reasonably well - especially difficult for Mobile Station users.

The same idea: add a decoder to a coach to increase the profit margin.
Works with dining coaches ("The fat is burning"), sleeping cars (toilet flush, snoring, brushing teeth), and baggage cars (toilet flush).
The typical sounds you hear when a train is passing by ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Minok  
#13 Posted : 22 October 2016 07:22:01(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The sounds of trains I remember most, from the electric era, want the cacophony of engine start up and running sounds at the yard but the hissing sound of the rails the moments before the speeding train came into view along the track. Or the long squealing if the brakes as the train came to a halt down the length if the platform.
---
My YouTube Channel:
Offline MaerklinLife  
#14 Posted : 22 October 2016 14:29:42(UTC)
MaerklinLife

Do we really need a function for the conductor on the loo ( and whilst in the station)?. Oh and its only 150 Euros. I dread to think what they will dream up when 32 functions is the standard.

Nobody forces you to buy it. If you do not like it, do not buy it. Judging from the fact that these things sell out quickly, people are buying them. I have the disco-coach and I like it. It is all good fun.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by MaerklinLife
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 22 October 2016 18:26:04(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Was scanning through New Items Fall 2016 when I came across 43992 Axillary baggage car which will have a sound decoder with 16 functions as follows:

As others have referred to in this thread. this is the fourth in a series of wagons, the series being termed by Marklin 'Train Stories'.

So far we have: -
2013 - Sleeping Car
2014 - Dining Car
2015 - Disco (entertainment) Car
and now a Baggage wagon.

In each case there is an additional set of two or three coaches or wagons which do not have functions in them to go with the item (this year there is the additional two baggage wagon set).