Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline digitaltrainshort  
#1 Posted : 19 October 2016 15:08:46(UTC)
digitaltrainshort

Serbia   
Hello, all!

Not so long ago I had a problem with electronic reverse unit in my SBB 460 locomotive. After some time of using, I felt smell of burnt electronics so I opened it and found out that few diodes are burnt.

The problem is not that heavy as the locomotive runs and lights are fully operational. Still, if I continue to use it, there is possibility of burning the rest of electronics on reverse unit therefore I have one question for You: Does anyone know exact markings of the power transistor (if it is), diode or triac shown on the picture?

Diodes are 1N4002 and can be replaced with 1N4007 but that power transistor or whatever it is, is under question as I know nothing about it.

If anyone knows something about it, please let me know!

Thank You all in advance!

Best regards,
Digitaltrainshort
sbb 460 diodes a.jpg
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2016 07:19:05(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Is that the 3453 Danzas Re 460? That was one of the first Re 460 made by Maerklin. My earliest were the 34618/34632/34633 SFDRS/CargoLogistics/Pepsi ones.
All of my models came with the Delta decoder, with the 4 switches to allow operation in Delta/Digital model.

This is what the model should look like: http://wiki.3rail.nl/ima...8;rklin_3453-ombouw3.jpg
See also: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/n...u3DShw/maxresdefault.jpg

I am not sure what that module on your model is, it does not look like the above photo nor like the models that I have.
Somebody might have retrofitted an older electronic reverse unit in the model.

See: http://web-hgh-moba.de/m...loge-umschalt-elektronik
or: https://modellbahn.mahre...r/umschaltelektronik.jpg

Here is the original part that seems to be missing from your locomotive:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/M...Ersatzteil-/322284559284

Regards

Mike C
Offline ktsolias  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2016 08:14:13(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
This is an analogue electronic reversing unit
This is one variation of the 4 variations that Marklin used over the years.
To find the problem is difficult.
You can see only the top side with conventional components
The bottom side is full of SMD components, so I thing that this circuit board is not repairable
The only way to solve the problem - as spares are not exist any more - is to find a module from somebody who has one left from a conversion

The best think to do is to change the motor and the circuit with a modern motor and digital decoder.
The cheap way is with the 60760 set, with a cost under 40 Euro.
The conversion is very easy. The only problem is the connection of the lights on the 622550 PCB where some changes needed.

But if you select this solution (digital conversion) we can give you advice for the lights. (Don't try to do if you don't know the swiss light changeover problems and variations in Marklin Locos

This beutifull loco will run better with the 5pole regulated motor and any way is worth to do.

Costas
#4 Posted : 20 October 2016 12:42:13(UTC)
digitaltrainshort

Serbia   
Hello to all!

First of all, I want to thank You on your answers!

Regarding this particular electronic reverse unit, I got it as it is straight from the store. Nothing was added nor removed. It is like it is.

The spare part that "is missing" is delta decoder which never was installed into this model.

To be honest, I did not take a look under the PCB board but I saw the obvious and still, I do not understand how this is possible to happen anyway as it is pure analog locomotive. Electronics, yes, it is nice but unreliable and mechanics is "ugly" but highly reliable...

I found some diodes like 1N4007 instead of 1N4002 but they have different characteristics in three area such as maximum RMS voltage and maximum DC blocking voltage and 1N4007 is ten times "stronger" then 1N4002...

I think that I shall accept the opinion to replace the motor with 5 pol one as the spare part does not exist anymore.

Once again, thank You all on your useful answers!

Best regards and wishes,
Digitaltrainshort
#5 Posted : 24 October 2016 16:05:28(UTC)
digitaltrainshort

Serbia   
Hello all!

I wonder could I use c80 decoder in this model perhaps?

Well, the things that had to be done is to replace decoder return wires with wires connected to the chassis so the lights can be operational, but, certainly, they will depend on how good is mass generally so flickering could be something expected.

Still, I think that it could be done with present motor. What is your opinion about this?

5 poll motor with its decoder is better option one way or another, but I just wonder could this be done with c80 decoder anyway?

Thank You all on your time and answers up in front!

Best regards,
digitaltrainshort

P. S. Thank You for providing pictures of the original DELTA/Digital model (which should be this one too but the boxes or model is switched!)
#6 Posted : 24 October 2016 16:07:38(UTC)
digitaltrainshort

Serbia   
Hello all!

Well, the things that had to be done is to replace decoder return wires with wires connected to the chassis so the lights can be operational, but, certainly, they will depend on how good is mass generally so flickering could be something expected.

Still, I think that it could be done with present motor. What is your opinion about this?

5 poll motor with its decoder is better option one way or another, but I just wonder could this be done with c80 decoder anyway?

Thank You all on your time and answers up in front!

Best regards,
digitaltrainshort

P. S. Thank You for providing pictures of the original DELTA/Digital model (which should be this one too but the boxes or model is switched!)
Offline ktsolias  
#7 Posted : 24 October 2016 20:21:52(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
I am replacing all my c80, c81, 6090, DELTA etc with modern decoders at least fx and certainly DC motors, 5 pole in 99% of the cases.

I think that in these days anything else older than 5 pole and fx is good only for the bin!!!

Costas
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 24 October 2016 23:37:40(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: digitaltrainshort Go to Quoted Post
Hello all!

That would certainly be a possibility, if you can find one. Or a Delta decoder. Note that some versions of the Delta decoder need all switches in the off position to run on analogue mode.
#9 Posted : 25 October 2016 12:46:54(UTC)
digitaltrainshort

Serbia   
Hello all!

Thank You on your answers! Yes, I understand what decoders are recommended and which ones you use to replace present ones.

However, sometimes, it can and is expensive, but it is just Ok!

I am using this opportunity to thank on the answers to Mike C, Costas, kiwi Alan...(sorry if I missed one of You!)

Thank You all once again!

Best regards and wishes,
digitaltrainshort