Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rwill  
#1 Posted : 08 October 2016 12:01:23(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Looking at joining two parts of a layout with a removable access bridge. I have seen it done on here but cant find the posts. We would have a single track bridge section that converts from k to c track in the middle. So how do I deal with the joins at each end so the section can be lifted out with reasonable ease?
Offline dominator  
#2 Posted : 09 October 2016 07:23:37(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Why no just cut through the sections of track where the 2 joins are going to be. Use either c or k track fro the removable section and cut it to length. The removable section does not need to make electrical contact with either end. You simply make sure that when it drops in, it lines up perfectly, and you simply run a wire from the rails and centre contact to a plug in connection at one or other side.
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline Minok  
#3 Posted : 10 October 2016 19:28:15(UTC)
Minok

United States   
I've not done this yet, but for ease of removal / installation, I'd be sure the ends of the removable section have some structure that seats into a specific slot which is slightly wider at the top and narrower at the bottom, such that its self centering, and structurally precisely made. One can use wood and just coat the wood parts with some sort of adhesive to cut out the friction. The at one end, bring in the power and ground via spring loaded screw heads that contact screw heads at the bottom of the mating section of the main layout. This uses the weight of the bridge section to push down on the spring loaded screw head and keep a good contact. Of course the section needs to have enough weight to keep well seated, so add ballast to make sure it weights a pound or two.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134