Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ParisTsirchoglou  
#1 Posted : 06 October 2016 07:52:50(UTC)
ParisTsirchoglou

Greece   
Hello Everybody.

Waiting for my new Marklin 37588 Borsig Edition 4 to arrive at my local dealer BigGrin , I start to make plans (and dreams) for my next steamer. My target is to get a classic Marklin K class steamer, but I am a little confused with all versions that appeared during last years Confused .

I am aware of relevant links on the forum and of the major features of every version Marklin produced. Different motors, different amount of axels powered (?)… what a confusion!!!

Can you please help? I can find the 37048 or the 37055 or maybe even the K class from the 31021 set (I recently saw one sold separately). Do you have personal experience on those steamers? Do those steamers have major – visible differences on their running characteristics – pulling power – motor silence?

Best Regards

Paris
Era I and Era II German and Swiss Steamers and E-Loks. Proud owner of a Challenger (-;
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 06 October 2016 08:14:00(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: ParisTsirchoglou Go to Quoted Post
Hello Everybody.

Waiting for my new Marklin 37588 Borsig Edition 4 to arrive at my local dealer BigGrin , I start to make plans (and dreams) for my next steamer. My target is to get a classic Marklin K class steamer, but I am a little confused with all versions that appeared during last years Confused .

I am aware of relevant links on the forum and of the major features of every version Marklin produced. Different motors, different amount of axels powered (?)… what a confusion!!!

Can you please help? I can find the 37048 or the 37055 or maybe even the K class from the 31021 set (I recently saw one sold separately). Do you have personal experience on those steamers? Do those steamers have major – visible differences on their running characteristics – pulling power – motor silence?

Best Regards

Paris

I did checked this locomotive too,to find difference from other same models but also difference color scheme on the locomotive.
All models of the K class do have same motor.
The first generation did had six axles powered while the second only one axle powered.
Digital decoder also has been changed and so does about digital sound functions too.
The color scheme mostly of them are fantasy and prototype was only grey black color on the body.
Not sure about the wheels,under frame and the rods.
There was an author of the book from England who did visit Wurttemberg during the last century,did write an book about Wurttemberg steam locomotive.
Allmost all of them was grey black color on the body.
But before the last century i think they was in green color body and the boiler was black.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 06 October 2016 08:31:52(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
The first generation did had six axles powered while the second only one axle powered.
The early versions had four axles powered by cog-wheels, not six.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 06 October 2016 11:05:34(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
The early versions had four axles powered by cog-wheels, not six.

Märklin did present six axles powered,so that´s way i did wrote this.

H0
Offline ParisTsirchoglou  
#5 Posted : 06 October 2016 11:22:06(UTC)
ParisTsirchoglou

Greece   
Goofy and Tom

Thank you for the immediate reply.

So if I may sum up:

Motors: Same to all versions (this is good)
Traction power: Better on the older generation (37059) due to more cog - wheels but fair on later generation (31021, 37048, 37055). Not a problem for me. Don't intent to run big trains anyway (don't have a permanent layout).
Color scheme: Questionable (not a great problem for me anyway).

Thank you again.

Best Regards

Paris
Era I and Era II German and Swiss Steamers and E-Loks. Proud owner of a Challenger (-;
Offline dickinsonj  
#6 Posted : 07 October 2016 01:52:39(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: ParisTsirchoglou Go to Quoted Post

Traction power: Better on the older generation (37059) due to more cog - wheels but fair on later generation (31021, 37048, 37055).
Paris

I prefer cog wheel driven axles also, but I have to admit that all of my newer steam locos with side rod driven drivetrains seem to work just as well. I suppose that over time the cog wheel versions are more durable and I wish Märklin had stuck with that arrangement, but the rod driven system also seems to work very well.

I always want my locos to behave like the prototypes, and this is just one more way in which the new locos do! Cool

It really isn't about making more money, honest. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline foumaro  
#7 Posted : 07 October 2016 07:55:08(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have the 37054 version,simply amazing.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline ParisTsirchoglou  
#8 Posted : 07 October 2016 22:37:11(UTC)
ParisTsirchoglou

Greece   
Panayioti, Jim, thank you.

I had to choose for my next loco between a K class and the new Borsig Edition 4 Prussian G12. I chose the G12, but a K class is ωερυ high on my priorities. In any version, it is such a great loco. A must have...

Kind Regards

Paris
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ParisTsirchoglou
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 08 October 2016 11:43:08(UTC)
Goofy

I did checked about the color.
This is the closest to correct dull black color on the body of the K class.
The wheels was in red like the rods.
Under frame was in red/dull black (if this is correct about K class).
I hope you like the pictures.

www.hafenbahnhof.de/imag...en/wuerttemberg/f1_1.jpg
www.hafenbahnhof.de/imag...en/wuerttemberg/f1_2.jpg
H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy